PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get blasted for their wake size?

jamie_abb
07-07-2010, 11:28 AM
After a fall this weekend, my nieghbour and novice driver rocked out a power turn in the narrows. He's got his i/o and I thought he knew the protocol. He does now. Can you say freak out from shore? The gathering at the nearest cottage all came to their beach and gave us a piece of their mind. (I'm making friends as always).

I think we're only going to surf circles in the big bay. Any thoughts?

PS that was with no ballast - wait til this weekend!

papou
07-07-2010, 12:30 PM
i have the same problem people don`t like the size of my wake even if a stern drive has a bigger wake then i do they pick in me because i`m the only boat with a wake board tower i save my surfing for sunday evening when must people are gone home.

jamie_abb
07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
I had an Outback before this and I would get the slow down sign - slow down? that boat had no wake the faster I went

you da man
07-07-2010, 02:49 PM
The lakes in my area are Corp of Engineer lakes which there cannot be private docks/slips and no one can own the property down to the water line. With that said, the shoreline is mainly exposed rock or limestone so erosion is not an issue or no one to complain about it since you can't own it. The only people I'm upsetting is probably the fisherman beating the banks for bass. My one wake with a couple small rollers along with it is nothing compared to the idiots doing figure 8's pulling tubes or doing power turns picking their riders.

BensonWdby
07-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Strange how they think faster means bigger wake... And how loud we are - but hink nothing of a 250 HP bassboat that has to go wide open to every spot at 5:30 in the morning...

wbarksda
07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
I surf a lot but there is nothing that drives me crazier then a surfer or tuber up in a cove with nice water. What is the point? Let the sports that need the smooth water have it.

sailing217
07-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I surf a lot but there is nothing that drives me crazier then a surfer or tuber up in a cove with nice water. What is the point? Let the sports that need the smooth water have it. ----Agreed

We try to stay away from fishermen and docks, but sometimes it gets narrow. If I see it'll be unsafe for someone else we'll just stop and let them pass. If you don't know how to take the rollers in your same size or bigger boat then you'll learn. I don't get mad when my driver takes a wave over the bow. They learn real fast to pop up the front for a second or 2.

PDXWood
07-09-2010, 03:50 PM
We have a great lake a few hours from us called Lake Billy Chinook. The lake is created by a dam that lets 3 rivers converge in deep canyons. One of the arms - the Deschutes - there is a bridge that indicates the end of the "no wake" zone. One day, I was sitting in the shadow of the bridge and I noticed that the giant "no wake" warnings were actually "slow zone - 10mph" and the water was perfect up there. The arm is deep enough and wide enough to run for at least a mile, maybe a mile and a half.... We decided that since we surf at about 9 mph, we should give it a try.... I was laying a monster wake - over hip high.... and it was PERFECT. then we passed the first boat. It was a bass boat with an old man sitting in the bow seat. I am still a little amazed he didn't go in the drink after the rocking he took. needless to say, I was looking away every time made a pass. at one point, the rider fell somewhat close to his boat and so I had to stop. He stood up and yelled "That's wild!" I apologized for making waves and he replied something to the effect of "no worries - keep having fun!" If you live anywhere in the area - its worth the trip!

saskie99
07-12-2010, 11:11 AM
we are at a lake that has 25 ski/wakeboard boats with a water ski jump slalom course, slider, kicker and well you get the point. There is tons of people that fish but the water sports club at one time was the largest in Canada so......the water sports people have the right of way. I have never been yelled at for making huge surf wave, wakeboarding or skiing.
I am sure there are people of fisherman who don't like us but it has always been this way at our lake. Good for us I guess

brenpire
08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I swear it's the tower. Other boaters cruize past the dock in their bowriders just on or off plane creating HUGE waves. Everyone waves at them. I wakeboard in the middle of the lake and I get 1 finger waves.

My suggestion to to stop by your neighbours cottage and take them wakeboarding. skiing, air chairing, tubing whatever. Difficult for them to be mad after that.

It's kind of like Sea-Doo's. Everyone hates them until they drive one.

jamie_abb
08-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I know its the tower. Last year someone told me to slow down my outback direct dirve. That boat has the smallest wake on the lake at speed.

I think there is a jealousy thing - $$$$

kaneboats
08-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Nope. I still hate them.

jamie_abb
08-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I swear it's the tower. Other boaters cruize past the dock in their bowriders just on or off plane creating HUGE waves. Everyone waves at them. I wakeboard in the middle of the lake and I get 1 finger waves.

My suggestion to to stop by your neighbours cottage and take them wakeboarding. skiing, air chairing, tubing whatever. Difficult for them to be mad after that.

Hey Brenpire

Same boat - same hood. We're in Pickering but cottage near Irondale in Haliburton. Where do you ride? We could have a two boat 06 lsv jam and rock the lake?

zegm
08-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I surf a lot but there is nothing that drives me crazier then a surfer or tuber up in a cove with nice water. What is the point? Let the sports that need the smooth water have it.

We surf, we tube (yes I admit it!) but we don't do this near the slalom course. I can't tell you how many times we are in the course or about to go down the course and someone well pull a tube through it! A couple of weeks ago I slowly pulled up to one of these boats and asked them nicely if they could move to another side of the lake so we could ski down the course. Amazingly they were nice and said sure! I think for the most part people pulling wakeboards or other skiers have some understanding of the slalom course. Unfortunately tubers I believe don't even think or understand what is going on with a slalom course!
OK bass boats, if they are in the course and it is a Saturday or Sunday then we don't ski first, we fill the ballast and surf close to them. Usually within a few minutes we can use the course! :p

Klipper
08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
I was yelled at this weekend for the first time..... neibour keeps a float plane on the water tied to his dock, I guess it takes a beating......

My boat is not nearly as bad a s most of them out there..... I have a DD!!

MEDIC151
08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I have this same issue. I was just cruising in towards the dam looking for smooth water and a couple of guys in a bass boat just flipped me off. I was 200 yards from them when they did this and making the turn to run down to the other end since there was no one there. I promptly shut down, filled all ballast, asked the ten people in the boat to go to the back and made a tidal wave. They actually had to lay down in the boat to keep from getting tossed.

Most don't realize that the faster you go, the smaller the wake and the faster it dissipates. These guys got a nice suprise and I just waved at them and carried on.

I did have an event on Lake Ouachita in skiers cove one weekend. I was pulling my son, who was 11 at the time on his kneeboard. Most people were doing the counter clockwise rotation out of the cove. I had a woman in a pontoon boat start towards me, a bass boat coming in at a right angle to my path, and a gnat following my son. I shut down, pulled my son in and called my brother on the radio, who was tied up at the end of the cove with a couple of other boats and told him to hang on, I was bringing the tidal wave with me.

Again, filled all ballast, made all people get in the back and started at the front of the cove at 9 mph zigzagging all the way down. My brother said all he could see was the hull of my boat and all idiocy came to a halt till the waves got through rebounding off the shoreline. We were done after that, waited till monday to get the cove back to ourselves.

I wish there was a mandatory class everyone had to take before getting on a lake.

viking
08-11-2010, 11:41 AM
My boat is not nearly as bad as most of them out there..... I have a DD!!

Most don't realize that the faster you go, the smaller the wake and the faster it dissipates.

It's pretty amazing at how many people out on the water have no clue! They see a tower on a boat and automatically get pissed and think the waves are HUGE and get mad. Most pontoons have bigger wakes than my boat and nobody seems to get mad at them. I think I'd make a smaller wake in a "no wake zone" going 40mph than idling along :)