PDA

View Full Version : Need help again! Speedo problems

colepop
07-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Hello Moomba family, I need some help again.

I have a 2000 Outback DD with a speedo problem that I can't solve. It is old school not the new paddle wheel type. I have pulled the line loose and blown thru it - nothing. I have checked the wires under the dash - nothing.

Everything looks clear and undamaged after an inspection on the trailer.

Any advice? The tubing front to back seems new enough and I have had nothing happen that I know of.

Thanks for the help!

zabooda
07-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Take the tube off at the pitot and blow into it and have someone observe the speedo for movement. If it moves then it is in the pitot and then blow it out with compressed air from the hose end. If it doesn't move, you can then check the connections on the expansion tube on the rear bulkhead adjacent to the gas tank and/or attempt to switch hoses and see if the unit works. Those speedos are not very reliable and don't break the pitots as they are not made anymore. Good luck.

maxpower220
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Check the pitot pickups like explained above, by blowing on the hose up toward the boat. Don't use compress air there or you will blow out the ballast and/or the gauge. If the gauge does not move, you need to check the ballast, which are the expansion chambers inside the boat near the transom.
The electrical wires going to the gauges are only for lights. No electrical power is needed to make the gauge register speed.

colepop
07-08-2010, 12:32 PM
What is this expansion (tube,piece, chamber) you mention? Where is it located? I pulled everything out of the boat except the fuel tank. Could it be behind it?

I did switch the lines and the speedo works. Either it is the pitot or the line from the pitot. I will run a small piece of wire thru the pitot this afternoon and check that.

Anyway - thanks for the help again!!

zabooda
07-08-2010, 04:57 PM
The expansion tube is on the rear bulkhead next to the gas tank. Vertical 8" brass colored tube. One on each side of the gas tank. you need to remove the rear panels and you should see it there. My hose came off once and there was a good size wet spot in the back.