PDA

View Full Version : radio cuts out at higher volume

spyder
07-05-2010, 08:49 PM
My stock stereo on my 2006 mobius LSV cuts out at higher volumes.

if i put it up to about 21 and heavy music is playing, the system loses power briefly and then comes back on... with loudness off, it does the same at about 24.

is the problem the stock unit is crap? or is there something else going on?

NewmbaTX
07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
You have amps? Or just HU and speakers? Could be overdriving systems capability or a power problem. If volts too low may be an issue. Need more info, specifics to help.

EarmarkMarine
07-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Spyder,
During that period it was common for a Moomba or Supra to run six speakers from a source unit only with the four cockpit speakers wired in parralel off two channels. With a 2-ohm load the BTL chip amplifier in the source unit would fall on its face really hard at a moderate volume. The easy fix, if this scenerio fits, is to rewire this section in series. While the power may drop at 8-ohms the stability more than makes up for it and you get much more output. The source will now reach a volume limit without hard clipping or shutting down. Again, this only applies to a non-amplified system.

David
Earmark Marine

szeh
07-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Spyder,
The easy fix, if this scenerio fits, is to rewire this section in series. While the power may drop at 8-ohms the stability more than makes up for it and you get much more output.

David
Earmark Marine

David...you're exactly right. I have the same problem in my '06 Supra 21V with the Kenwood hu. Finally last night I rewired both pair of cabin speakers in series. So far so good! The real test will be this weekend to see if I can crank it without shutting down.

Scott

spyder
07-08-2010, 03:32 PM
You have amps? Or just HU and speakers? Could be overdriving systems capability or a power problem. If volts too low may be an issue. Need more info, specifics to help.

just the stock deck in a 06 mobius... with stock speakers (6)..

no amp.

Lake Bound
07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
I am having the same issue can you help with the terminology of in series? Thank
You

EarmarkMarine
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Series description:
Amplifier positive to speaker 1 positive.
Speaker 1 negative to speaker 2 positive.
Speaker 2 negative to amplifier negative.
Same for opposite channel.

David
Earmark Marine

szeh
07-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Here's the link to a site that I used to clarify how to wire speakers in "series" and "parallel".

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

Hope this helps...it did for me.

Scott

Lake Bound
07-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Thank you I will take a look and probably be rewiring mine.

Wally
07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
thanks david, ive had this problem since 06. Always happens when the chicks are dirty dancing...total buzzkill. Thanks again for the info

NewmbaTX
07-12-2010, 03:30 AM
just the stock deck in a 06 mobius... with stock speakers (6)..

no amp.

Well, the problem is what David here explained...He beat me to it!

You can rewire the cabins or don't play so loud...or get an amp. The rewiring of the cabins will work, but will reduce power output to the rear speakers = less volume/ sound, but will remain stable.

Txskyski
04-14-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm having the same problem in my '07 Outback. It came with the factory amp/sub/tower speakers and it never cut out until I added an extra amp and sub. Now it is doing what everyone describes - it cuts out at louder volumes. The stereo shuts off and re-starts. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it common that adding an additional amp would cause this?

Thanks

DOCDRS
04-14-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm thinking I was experiencing this on my 09 w 6 cabins a subwoofer and 4 tower speakers and 2 amps till I added my ws 420. does that sound right ?

EarmarkMarine
04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Txskyski,
Invest in a $10 to $20 multimeter. You can't do any meaningful diagnosis without first verifying that your voltage is good. And check it at the terminals of the component that is shutting down while its under load. Typically shutdown is due to thermal, protection from an inordinately low impedance, DC flow between components or low voltage. A multimeter will measure continuity, resistance and voltage...all essential in diagnosing a problem.
Disconnect the additions a see if it works okay again. This would be an indication of the problem.
If the amplifier is grounding via the source unit RCA link or the inverse, this could cause a shutdown as the current is increased. Just because it initially works at lower volumes doesn't mean you have a good ground or supply. All grounds and supplies need to reference the same point or battery. Every individual component needs a healthy ground. Re-check all connections and terminations.
Water damage can cause corrosion or a collection of mineral residue on the traces. Things may still function at low current draw but a higher draw will expose the problem.
That's a start and should encompass the most likely culprits. Usually diagnosis is a simple matter of step by step isolation and elimination.
Check back in and let us know what you found.

David
Earmark Marine