PDA

View Full Version : boat broke down on the 4th :/

alex56
07-05-2010, 03:44 PM
i unhooked our 0'8 lsv from the bouy as i usually do and warmed it up to get it ready , i ran it for about 8 min yesterday cruising at about 25mph when i noticed a kind of burning smell.. thinking of overheating i looked at the gauges everything seemed fine running at 160degrees as usual so i kept going and all of a sudden the boat noticibly lost power and slowed, at about this time i thought that was very weird because i didnt hit the throtal, or i was not turning or hitting any waves, , right after that the burning smell intensafied to the point where i opened the engine compartment and to my suprise i get blasted in the face with a cloud of billowing white smoke/steam. once that cleared i could see that oil was splatterd all over the engine compartment, soaked it from front to back, the alternater is flooded , oil was puddeld all over the rear lockers,it soaked our cover and lifejackets and got over our new 750lb sac! we managed to get it back to the dock where we surveyed the damage, thats when we saw that the bilge was 1/2 filled with oil, we checked the dip stick it was completly dry and the valve cover check location looked like it never had oil in it it was so dry, at least the engine did not seize! but what a way to start a 4th of july!:/

any moterheads know what might have happend?:confused::confused:

h2oskierrick
07-05-2010, 03:53 PM
In your post you say that there is oil spattered everywhere, so it most likely was coming out under pressure. I would first check the oil filter to make sure it was seated properly or didn't split or something like that. The other area to check would be any of the oil cooler and lines as well as the oil pressure sending unit to make sure they are secure. good luck, let us know what you find.

Rick

maxpower220
07-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Good thing the engine is still under warranty!

Keep us posted on what it turns out to be.

loudsubz
07-05-2010, 04:24 PM
how did the lockers get soaked? was the board not in place to seperate the engine from the lockers?

alex56
07-05-2010, 08:27 PM
im pissed because our carpet and some engine parts are ruined because the oil exploded all over the place, it looked like it was comming out of the left side valve cover, when it was happening, it was hard to see because much of the oil had been blown all over the engine compartment, all the hose connections are fine so who knows... but loudsubz we have the sea board sepreaters beween the comparments but the oil blasted it all over the place and pooled in both side lockers and filled the bilge with all oil there was so much

cab13367
07-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Alex,

Sorry to hear about ur misfortune. Hopefully, u bought the boat new and the warranty will cover ALL the damage.

Please keep us updated.

Al