PDA

View Full Version : Depth finder acting funny

loudsubz
07-05-2010, 02:05 PM
only 20 hours on the boat now and the depth finder seems to show "- - -" allot on the screen, as well, the unit seems to read the incorrect depth and then flashes back to the correct depth. Seems to only happen when going really slow or when shifting into/out of gear. If I watch the gauge it seems to flip from 20ft of water to something like 2.5 feet of water than back, all while in the same spot.

Anyone else have weird issues with theirs?

DOCDRS
07-05-2010, 02:30 PM
hey Loud.....I'm on muskoka too, havin probs with mine but its the depth lake and temp gauge that is wrong.....I have a center info display and it shows everything correctly

spyder
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
lots of weeds?

loudsubz
07-06-2010, 07:13 PM
lake is almost weed free, very clear so thats why I am ???

29racer
07-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I have a 2010 lsv and it is the same way, works some and then does not work some, does not seem to matter it does it sitting still or running, asked dealer they told me to check connections but it is still the same, now this weekend the water temp guage was constatly jumping around form as low as 50 to well over 100. This seems to be a common problem.

jmvotto
07-06-2010, 10:46 PM
mine works sporatically and its brand new this season. I just think thru hull transducers work sometimes good, sometimes bad

cab13367
07-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Sorry to hear it guys. Mine works flawlessly, both the depth finder and the water temp gauge, so don't let the dealer tell you that's just the way they are. I think transducer placement is key. If there are any air pockets at all in the hull or in the epoxy, then it will cause problems. That's why u are suppose to water test the mounting location to make sure u are getting a consistent reading before epoxying it in place but I bet SC does not do that.

I learned this the hard way on my last boat. I installed a depth finder on it and just picked a spot along the center line of the boat, free of any turbulence, and epoxied in place. I never got any reading out of it.