PDA

View Full Version : Idle Problem - Please Help!

Lakeside09
07-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Ok I have a 97' Boomerang... boat has ran perferct all year, never any issues at all.

I unload into the water run the blower, boat starts fine... idle's fine in the no wake zone... leave the no wake zone... give it some gas takes off fine... run it for about 15min... stop to hang out for about 20min... run the blower... try to start it back up cranks but won't start... try again... starts... but when I give it some gas... I hear click, click, click, push on the gas a little more... kicks in but sounds like it is not getting good power at a very minimum speed. I open it up and it runs great...

Run it for a little while... then start to slow down... as I am slowing down to idle. I get to neutral... it dies... starts back up fine... then does the click, click, click... give a little more gas... kicks in...try to go back to idle but when I do it wants to die...

This only happens after it has ran for a while not when I initially get to the lake.

It's a 350 Chevy engine.

Is it the carburetor? I put a new coil in... didn't seem to change much.

Please help! I am by no means a mechanic, and this is my first boat.

Thanks!

Lakeside09
07-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Took it to a marine mechanic... we took it out and he said it is a bad alternator... where the voltage gauge on the dash reads the output... it is just above a 10... when it should be more toward a 16....

think of it as an empty - full gas gauge...

it looks like it is at about 1/4 of a tank or a little less... when it should be at about 3/4 of a tank... that is the best way I can describe it...

DOES THIS SOUND CORRECT?

98outback
07-06-2010, 12:56 PM
You battery gauge should be a little above the 12 when not running if your batteries are fully charged. When running your gauge should only go up to and around 14. At 16 you would be overcharging your batteries. They are only 12v batteries.

sloppy
07-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I have had similar problems. It starts easy when cold, but starts harder when it has run for a while and then shuts off. Today it died. I took a tow into the dry dock. There was a tech there that was able to troubleshoot it and said I had a low pressure fuel pump failure. This sounds about right. I had already replaced the plugs rotor button, distributor cap and plug wires. I also had the timing checked (it was fine) and had the fuel filter replaced as well as the oil changed, transmission fluid changed and the impeller replaced. The tech is going to put a new low pressure fuel pump in as well as putting a scan tool on it to check it out.