PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter replacement

Ian Brantford
07-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Howdy. Even with all of the many helpful threads here, I cannot find this simple task documented.

What is the safe way to relieve any fuel pressure and change my fuel filter? I would really like to avoid any gasoline-related mishaps.

I had symptoms at the end of a hot day yesterday that could be simple vapour-lock, or might be a clogged filter. My local shop fixed a clogged filter once a couple of years ago, but they do not have service on the weekend. I am heading out for a water test in 90 minutes (towing the boat 50 miles back to marina). I would really like to know what any contingency steps are, in case it was more than vapour lock.

Thanks in advance!

Ian Brantford
07-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I identified the high-pressure fuel pump based on photos in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11832&highlight=fuel+filter

On my 2005 XLV, rather than being located at the port rear, it's at the starboard front of the engine. It's in a tight corner behind the firewall, below the oil filter, and beside the fire extinguisher.

I still need to know exactly where to open up the line to inspect the filter (and how to do this without a gasoline spill).

AaronWhitt82
07-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Howdy. Even with all of the many helpful threads here, I cannot find this simple task documented.

What is the safe way to relieve any fuel pressure and change my fuel filter? I would really like to avoid any gasoline-related mishaps.

I had symptoms at the end of a hot day yesterday that could be simple vapour-lock, or might be a clogged filter. My local shop fixed a clogged filter once a couple of years ago, but they do not have service on the weekend. I am heading out for a water test in 90 minutes (towing the boat 50 miles back to marina). I would really like to know what any contingency steps are, in case it was more than vapour lock.

Thanks in advance!

I don't believe there should be enough fuel pressure that would cause the fuel to spray everywhere when you remove the filter.
Mine is carbed and has the screw on filter that looks like an oil filter and when I change mine I just unscrew it and a little bit of gas might drip from it and gas might spill out of the filter, but that's about it.
I would just put a rag down below it in case it does drip or spill a little.
I would also remove it slowly to see if you get any gas coming out....

Ian Brantford
07-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. Anticipating that it was much more likely to have been vapour-lock than bad fuel (I've been filling up at the marina and it's got a high turnover for its fuel supply), I took my boat to marina today ahead of my crew and took it for a water test. It ran fine for that.

I took advice from other threads here and ran the blower on this hot day. There were no further problems until I forgot the blower during the last session of teaching a new wakeboarder. On our trip back to the marina, the engine started to weaken over 4000 RPM. Next, I'll follow other advice to use Sta-Bil Marine additive.

sloppy
07-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Make sure you disconnect a battery terminal before you replace the fuel filter

brenpire
07-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Ian, last year my boat would cut out/hesitate at anything above 3000rpm. changing ther fuel filter fixed the problem. I did not have any issues with pressure when i took the old out. Took less than 5 min to do.

The filter is available at any autoparts store. I picked one up at NAPA/UAP for around $20.

I can get the part number if you need it. let me know.

Fat G
07-13-2010, 07:43 PM
What exactly is vapor lock??

cab13367
07-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Ian, last year my boat would cut out/hesitate at anything above 3000rpm. changing ther fuel filter fixed the problem. I did not have any issues with pressure when i took the old out. Took less than 5 min to do.

The filter is available at any autoparts store. I picked one up at NAPA/UAP for around $20.

I'd appreciate the part # as mine is due for a replacement. Thx!

OBV6
07-14-2010, 08:43 AM
NAPA part # 3299, it is a little shorter that the CarQuest filter that SC puts on. Replaced mine last week for the same reasons, also put in StarBrite-StarTron fuel treatment. Ran the fan when boarding/tubing/surfing didn't have any issues with vapor lock like I had previously.

romoboco
07-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Al, part is NAPA Gold 3299. See Ya, Bill

cab13367
07-14-2010, 11:00 PM
NAPA part # 3299, it is a little shorter that the CarQuest filter that SC puts on. Replaced mine last week for the same reasons, also put in StarBrite-StarTron fuel treatment. Ran the fan when boarding/tubing/surfing didn't have any issues with vapor lock like I had previously.

Al, part is NAPA Gold 3299. See Ya, Bill

Thanks guys!

Bill, good to know you still read the forum!

mnpracing
07-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I was poking around my engine compartment today (didn't take off the dividers) to locate my fuel filter (found it :D), but I'm wondering if my boat has a fuel/water separator. Do the Moomba's come with them, or this an option and/or aftermarket add?

Also, what issues can arise if the gas fill cap gets water on it? As long as the fill cap rubber is seal, is everything ok? I don't understand how the vent works.

OBV6
07-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Was looking for a fuel/water seperator on mine when I replaced the fuel filter. I also called my dealer to verify that there was not some sort of stealth seperator that I wasn't seeing. The service dept said that my 06 OBV only came with the inline filter. An after market fuel/water sep would be an easy one to install either down or upstream of the inline filter. Just attach the seperator inline where ever you had room, although I would put mine ahead of the inline as a bulk filter and use the inline as insurance. Both filter down to 10 microns I beleive. You would have to get a seperator, 2 hose clamps and 2 brass barbed hose ends for the seperator, but not much else. The OBVs' are a little more cramped than the LSV/XLVs but even in mine there is room. The seperators can be gotten from about anywhere, a lot of guys here use skidim and overtons has them also.

Ian Brantford
07-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Last Sunday, I had trouble getting to 4000 RPM at the end of the day again. The weather wasn't as hot as previous times and I tried used Sta-bil Marine. So, it looks like vapour-lock is unlikely to be the issue. If I can get to the lake this weekend, I'll try changing the filter.

Ian Brantford
07-24-2010, 01:36 PM
NAPA 3299 is an in-line filter. Isn't the one that I want something that fits into an oil-filter-like assembly?

Ian Brantford
07-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Replacement is complete. Yes, it's an inline filter on the 2005 XLV with 340 MPI. Today's boating only involved about an hour of engine operation in modest heat, but running at 5000 RPM was no problem on the way back to the marina. Thanks again for the responses.

Of the two NAPA outlets here in Ottawa, only one carries this filter, and they only keep one in stock at a time. I got there 5 minutes before they closed. Whew! $17.

brenpire
07-26-2010, 05:42 PM
glad to hear it worked out.

Ian Brantford
07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
For future reference of anyone else who is doing this for the first time: I found the filter mounted in the transmission compartment, with ring clamps screwed to the starboard side of the compartment. There was no pressure in the line so there was minimal drippage from them... but the filter itself holds about an ounce or so of fuel. Being inline, it's open at both ends, so a big rag was required to contain that for a few seconds while I got the filter out of the boat.

Yes, the filter was badly clogged. I am surprised that it could operate at all. Unlike the last time it had to be replaced, there was no dirt in the line to point to any recent "bad gas" culprit.

epowell
08-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Can someone confirm that the replacement filter for the Outback is the same NAPA 3299 for the 2005 Outback EFI? Also if I have to go down this road, does anyone have the fuel pump replacement number also?

Evan

squeeg333
09-21-2010, 08:01 PM
I haven't looked too deep into it yet, but would this be the same filter? I was looking at picking up some things from skidim, and using the discount codes is always nice. Figured if this was the right one, I'd snag a few...

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3299

It says on the description 2002 and up moomba's... so maybe?

viking
09-21-2010, 08:09 PM
i just purchased that same part for my 07. I'm pretty sure it's the one but haven't received it yet to confirm.

Ian Brantford
09-24-2010, 06:17 PM
I haven't looked too deep into it yet, but would this be the same filter? I was looking at picking up some things from skidim, and using the discount codes is always nice. Figured if this was the right one, I'd snag a few...

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3299

It says on the description 2002 and up moomba's... so maybe?

That looks just like the one that I got.

Garrett Pye
08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
what would be the part number and/or type of fuel filter for a 2005 moomba mobius LSV? 350 indmar engine
thanks

VA LSV
08-28-2011, 10:09 AM
NAPA 3299 or any filter with 1/2" inlet and outlet.