PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chips

KT Mobius
07-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I pulled my boat approximately 6 hrs one way a couple weeks ago and after cleaning the other day I noticed a few tiny rock dings in the hull. What does everyone out there use to protect there boat while trailering? Are a good pair of mud flaps the answer? My old boat had a white hull so I dont think any rock dings were that visible. My hull is now blue and the smallest scratch is noticeable.

you da man
07-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Rock Tamer available through Costco. Looks good and protects the best.

you da man
07-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I got full length mud flaps for the F150 last year and never had an uissue.

With the new F350 and it bing so big i got a louvered rock guard.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-tow-bars-dollies/louvered-tow-guard.htm

Only thing is you need a little longer shank on your hitch as it uses bolts to hold onto the hitch tongue. You trim it to fit the hieght of your truck. Its light weight and breaks down into 3 peaces so its easy to store.

That thing looks like it's straight out of the Road Warrior movie

mnpracing
07-04-2010, 11:24 PM
mmandley, with the plastic louvers, any issues with it sailing up at all at highway speeds, thus reducing the protection factor?

Razzman
07-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Rock Tamers are the way to go and work very well. I've had them for two years now and have had no chips since.

cab13367
07-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Rock Tamers are the way to go and work very well. I've had them for two years now and have had no chips since.

So you guys leave these on all the time, or just throw them on when towing? They look okay on pick ups but I think they would look a little out of place on my Durango when I'm not towing.

Razzman
07-06-2010, 02:05 PM
The Rock Tamers actually slide over and are bolted to the ball mount, so it comes off the reciever with the mount as a one piece unit. As i never tow unless it's the boat it's not an issue for me. I unhook the trailer then place the ball mount/tamers on two jackstands until the next time.

Hell Al it gives any vehicle that "Big Truck" look! :p

cab13367
07-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Gotcha, so it slides off with the receiver. I always remove the receiver when we are not towing so this would be doable. But like Mandley says, I don't know that I need it.

squeeg333
07-06-2010, 04:09 PM
i saw a photo of a boat on a forum recently that had some sort of fabric protector that attached to the boat somehow, and protected the water side of the bow of the boat. Looked pretty sweet, but I haven't looked into those at all. I could see an issue possibly with rubbing the fiberglass with something like that - especially at highway speeds.

Razzman
07-07-2010, 10:10 AM
You could always get one of these monstroseties http://trailer-rockguard.com/index2.html

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-09-2010, 04:44 PM
You could always get one of these monstroseties http://trailer-rockguard.com/index2.html

i think thats suppose to go on the front of the truck to plow snow i could use that in ohio for the winter!