PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Help

Woopededoo
08-02-2004, 05:25 PM
I was told by my dealer that I wouldnt need to get straps to hold the boat to the trailer. I am getting a 2004 outback in a few weeks and want to be prepared for it. Do I need to buy straps for the boat or not? What do you other Outback owners do when traveling downt he road. What type of straps do I need? length? any suggestions.....

first boat for me, so I want to make sure I get the right stuff for it so I can take it home with out falling off on the interstate.

THANKS!

MartyC
08-02-2004, 05:37 PM
I don't use straps on the transom. May not be smart to rely on the winch strap up front but I only tow about 1/4 mile to the ramp. If I consistently towed long distances, I might do it. I see a lot of fishing boats with the transom straps but not many inboards.

noneya
08-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Depends on your state laws. I dont have transom straps, but I did get a chain for the front to backup the winch strap

BensonWdby
08-02-2004, 06:29 PM
I would never tow without straps. Any dealer that tells you you do not need them is doing you a dis-service. In my opinion it should not be an option when buying a boat, the trailer should just come with them. Considering how little they cost compared to the cost of the boat. I think I paid maybe $8 each for mine.

The problem is that they don't work that nicely with the the swim platform. But if you tighten them just enough to be secure you can avoid excessive stress on the platform.

I have a friend who is a body shop manager and is a boat fanatic. He is the one that told me to never go without straps. He has seen plenty of boats damaged due to bouncing around or movement during an accident.

If you do not like the the way the straps interfere with the platform, you might consider a strap that goes over the top from one side of the trailer to the other. My old outboard had one and it worked great.

Dave

carsondoc
08-02-2004, 07:59 PM
I use transom straps every time. Would not feel comfortable without them. My dealer provided them. They are very simple to use, take less than a minute to put on and off, and don't interfere with the platform.

Troy0501
08-02-2004, 08:33 PM
http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/pdetail.cgi?32050++2AN9

these are the best straps.. they stay with the trailer..quick and easy to use.

Boat Buckles

I use them on my 2002 Outback

Catdog1
08-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Advice.

Don't leave the dealer's yard without a chain from bow eye to trailer. Enjoy his embarrassment, whether or not he admits to such, as you insist to attach it. Use a connecting link that has a screw-down. The winches are fairly cheap devices and a mistake with the lock/direction mechanism, else some other failure, can really screw up your boat.

Same with transom ties. I used 7/16 rope for a long time, double strung and tied.
Shifted to ratchet straps later, looped weird so that the metal parts can never touch the glas even if they get loose.

In a panic stop it is possible for the back of the boat to shift off the trailer. Best do everything possible to keep the two connected.

Woopededoo
08-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Im sold

About how long of transom straps do I need? Really dont want to spend $50 on straps right now, maybe later on, just need something that works wells.

db7
08-03-2004, 03:01 PM
I assumed the transum straps came with the boats, mine did, so I guess my dealer put them on for me at no charge. It seems strange that someone would sell a new boat then tell you "Oh by the way you need to figure out how to keep it on the trailer"

brentburtrum
08-03-2004, 07:21 PM
I bought a set of 2 foot transome tiedowns at Meijers (Store that sels everything for those that don't know) They were $19.99 I connect them to the eyes on the back of my mobius down to the trailer. 2 feet is about the perfect length on my boat. I have to slip them in behind the platform by the way.

Brent Burtrum
2004 Mobius LSV

moombaschleg
08-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Very interesting. I was just at my dealer today, picking up my '03 Outback from getting some fresh oil. We are about to head off for a 7 hour drive with our boat, and I asked them about the tie downs for the rear. I have a safety strap for the front, but nothing on the back for 2 years. They said I don't need 'em because the boat is heavy enough that you don't need to worry about it.

I guess I'll be shopping for some tie-downs. Doesn't the belt rub the gel? I always envisioned protecting the straps with something.

Thanks!!!

Shoemaker Mobius
08-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Carsondoc,
What kind of straps do you use? I would like to get some that don't interfere with the swim platform. I have a 2004 Mobius LSV and the transom hooks on the boat are above the platform so I don't see where the straps could go to fasten to the trailer without somehow going over the swim platform. If you have pictures that would be great. Also, for everyone, for the front attachment, do you hook some kind of chain from the eyebolt in the front bottom of the boat (where the winch attaches) to the hook center and below the boat on the trailer? And, how long a chain would you need?? I currently don't attach anything except the winch to the boat - the dealer said it wasn't necessary. But, reading here, it sure sounds like I should. Thanks.

carsondoc
08-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Shoemaker Mobius,

They are Epco 2" tie-down straps. Got them from my dealer with the boat. I'm sure you can find them on the internet.

TexTgrTed
08-24-2004, 12:26 AM
When I tow my '99 Outback more than a couple of miles, I use two inexpensive ratching straps with hooks...these can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or any auto parts store...the trick is to also buy something to pad the ratchets to keep them from rubbing the hull...I got some foam pipe insulation, cut it down the center, and wrap the insulation around the ratchets...run the straps behind the swim platform, cross them, & you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Luck!