PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Moomba Outback Questions

lxirod
06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Hello, new poster here. Not to offend anyone, but my hope was to purchase the new SN200 OB. However, since there are not any for sale in California right now, cant bring in an out of state due to CA emmission requirements, and can't afford the price of a brand new one, I am considering other boats. A near by dealer has a 2010 Outback. Any thought on wake, tracking and so on. Are there any differences or improvemnts from prevoius years?? I will mainly be using as a slalom course boat, but will also use it to take the family out on public lakes. Hence the need for the open bow.

Thanks for any info.

viking
06-30-2010, 02:08 PM
I have an 07 DD and came from a 1990 Supra Comp TS6M (argueably one of the best slalom boats around). My outback wake holds it's own and has a comparable wake to the older Supra.

I went with the new boat due to open bow as well as I have 3 kids. If the course was my only concern - I'd have stayed with the Supra Comp.

My .02.

ian ashton
06-30-2010, 02:45 PM
I have an '08 DD Outback. I think the only design change from my boat to the 2010 is that the tower is now standard, and they changed the drivers seat. I have around 250 hours on mine, and have yet to have any big issues, I love my boat!

That said, I test drove a 2010 SN200, and the wake was absolutely non-existant, but at almost twice the cost when optioned out I would hope so!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Outback, great value, great boat!

deerfield
06-30-2010, 03:16 PM
lxirod - I echo the above from viking and ian ashton. I am a skier and own a '07 Outback. My sons wakeboard. Previous boat was a Nautique. Open bow is nice upgrade from closed bow. - Deerfield

maxpower220
06-30-2010, 03:26 PM
When you look at the Outback, you have to compare apples to apples. The Outback is 20.5' long. This compares well in length to the SN 206 and a foot longer than a 196. The Outback is 4 inches wider than a 206. That said, the Outback has a very similar wake to the 206 at any speed above 30-32. Under 30 mph, the 206 will be slightly smaller. If you ski at 34 or 36 mph, the wake is similar.

The other aspect, which I like, is that the Outback has a lot more room inside than either of the Nautique ski boats. It is very nice when you have several people on the boat. Also, you can wakeboard and surf behind an Outback with a little extra ballast and a few people in the boat.

I sold my previous MC, could not find a used 197 or CC 206 even close to the new Outback that I ordered from the factory. I invite you to ask your comparo question on CCfan, mcteamtalk, and planetnautique. You will have a lot a bad remarks about Moomba period. Almost everyone who will make those remarks have had zero or less experience with Moomba OR they looked at Moomba in the 90s. Sorry, but the early days of Moomba produced a lot of JUNK.

Is the Outback the best slalom boat? No not by a long shot. Is it the best wake for the money given it's size? Yes. As always, go on a test ride and ski behind one.

lxirod
06-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the info so far guys. In Jan I had to sell my 08 cc196 for financial reasons, but now I am ready for a new boat. However the 196 was very limited for other disciplnes. So I really prefer an open bow now. The Sn200 seems like a great boat, but brand new i was quoted 68,000!!! Can't afford that! I will test driving it next week.

Mikey
06-30-2010, 11:12 PM
I'd say give one a test drive,and you see if theres actually 18,20 k difference in wake etc. I have a Malibu and MC owner friends who both agree for the money ya can't beat Moomba.
Neither one is snobby and are always willing to ski my boat as well,

lxirod
07-02-2010, 11:41 AM
California - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger recently approved a new emissions-based registration law for recreational boats.
The law, which goes into effect July 1, 2008, applies to buyers or retail sellers of new boats equipped with up to a 500-hp gasoline powered sterndrive or inboard engine. Under the legislation, A.B. 695, buyers or sellers must provide the California Division of Motor Vehicles with documentation that the engine meets the appropriate emission requirements.

Engines larger than 500-hp will be required to comply starting Jan. 1, 2009.

“The NMMA worked closely with the Southern California Marine Association to lobby for passage of this new law,” said Thom Dammrich, president of the National Marine Manufacturers Association, in a statement. “This demonstrates a commitment by businesses and boaters to promote clean emission technology that will offer substantial air quality benefits to boaters and the public at large.”

The new law is designed to prevent Californians from buying a recreational boat outside the state with a non-compliant engine to circumvent the new emissions requirement. It is similar to the state’s vehicle registration requirements.

The law has specific requirements for submitting initial applications to the California DMV. The DMV form will be revised to include instructions for the boat dealer and purchaser to check off certain boxes to self-certify that the engine is in compliance with California emission requirements.

“The retail seller and/or purchaser will be required to submit the engine emission hang tag with the application,” said John McKnight, NMMA’s director of safety and environmental compliance, in a statement. “These hang tags are required by California law to be on new engines at the time of sale.”

The law excludes vessels originally purchased in another state by a resident of that state who moves to California and can provide satisfactory evidence of previously having an out-of-state residence. The penalties for non-compliance under the new law are the same as the penalties for operating an unregistered vessel, which are set at a $250 fine.

kaneboats
07-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Chip off the ole block, ain't he?

lxirod
07-04-2010, 11:20 AM
PCM still produces non CAT motors and most if not all CC200 ordered outside of CA were ordered that way to save money.

Sled491
07-05-2010, 10:33 PM
PCM still produces non CAT motors and most if not all CC200 ordered outside of CA were ordered that way to save money.

that's funny, ordering a 60K ski boat and trying to save money. Didn't think those two went together :D

lxirod
07-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I will be demoing the 2010 Outback today. I will post pics and full review. I will hopefully be putting it thru its paces including driving and skiing the slalom course.

Sled491
07-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I will be curious to see what you thought. I was skiing the other day and looking at the wake from a skiers eye view. Man it doesn't get much flatter than that. 34mph at the time.

viking
07-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I love skiing behind my boat. I'm reminded how good our boat wakes are when I ride behind an I/O or V-drive boat. Some are good but still not a DD wake :)

Sled491
07-07-2010, 10:43 PM
true dat! :)

barefooterh2o
07-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Back to the slalom course ski wakes, I currently own a '07 and '08 Outbacks with PP Stargazers and do the course and barefoot. My last boat was a 05' Malibu Sportster LX and I course ski behind friends MCs 190s, 195, 197 and 205 and Sportstars. If you slalom course ski at 31 mph and above the 15' off wake is no different than the Malibu and the MC's. At 22' off there is a little harder bump than the Malibu but very durable. Depending on MC, the Outback wake is either just the same, better or little worse.
Basically, unless you're a hard core competitive course skier, the Outback will do just fine. I used to be a hard core Malibu owner for 10 years until the last 2 boats. I switched to Moomba because they were $20,000 cheaper and did not think the wake was much difference to justify the extra money. Barefoot skiing, I think it has the same wake as the Malibu's.

lxirod
07-08-2010, 01:00 PM
okay, so had my chance to demo the 2010 Outback yesterday afternoon. first off i would like to give props to the dealer/owner who took the time to meet me out on the water and demo the boat for about 2 hours. unlike the MC dealer who didnt even let me turn the key at the dealership to check out the display, much less even bother to call me back to schedule a demo ride. but thats another story.

a little backround on me, i have owned many boats in the past including malibu rlxi, mastercraft ps197, nautique 196, but i have never really checked out a moomba. all i really heard about moomba's is that they are a entry level, budget friendly boat. well i will tell you i was very pleasantly suprised. after checking out the boat on the trailer, i didnt seem very budget to me. the fit and finish looked really good, just minus some " bling".

i backed the boat off the trailer and it handled really well in the marina. i expected alot of engine noise, figuring that there may not be motor box insulation or silent type mufflers. but that was not the case it was very quite.

we drove out of the marina and got the boat up to speed. lots of get up and go. not hurtin for power in any way. played around with the trim tab and it really changed the wake shape and size. it was a bit windy out and it seemed to handle it well.

found some nice water and decided to take a ski ride. opted to skip the slalom course as it was about a 20 minute boat ride and it was a bit windy. set the zero off at 34 and skied 15 and 22 off. I stopped there as I could tell that the wake would just get better and i only run into 32 off on a rare occasion. i found the wake to be great! i actualy think it is as good and maybe better than the others . i would say not as good as nautique, equal to MC and better that the malibu. i found no bump at 22 whats so ever.i really wish i could have tried out on a course or private lake, maybe next time.
driving it seemed good as well. i think thios boat would track very well in the course. good visibility and the windshield did not block your side view to talk to your skier.

overall i really like this boat. i found it to be much more versatille than the the top 3 slalom tugs. the wake plate is a nice touch that really makes it a decent wakeboard wake. the boat is very roomy, and i feel that i could really enjoy this boat on many more levels than just a slalom tug.

i have not made up my mind yet as i am still considering the CC200, but its a hard one to justify now. its about 18K more and i dont get a tower, bimini, wakeplate & stereo. i am really leaning towards the outback, and i think my family and wallet would prefer it as well!!

overall i did not see this boat being a budget boat after all. i really enjoyed driving and skiing it. i just may be a moomba owner in the near future!

pics to follow

lxirod
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM

phospher
07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I've got that same exact color/graphic scheme except mine is a 2008. It's a great 3 event boat, and with a little weight throws a nice wake for boarding too. Moomba is a great boat despite what some of the loyal Correct Craft, Malibu, and Mastercraft folk might tell you.

viking
07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Glad you enjoyed it - I alway enjoy driving and riding behind mine :)

jmondl
07-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I am very satisfied with my 2010 Outback. I looked at a slightly used Malibu that was near the price of a brand spanking new Outback, but a plastic clip on the bimini busted while taking the Malibu on a test ride. Having a reliable boat - one you can count on when taking friends out for a day of water fun - is near the top of priorities for boating with me, and you just can't get that with a boat more than 3 or 4 years old. I have no regrets with the 2010 Moomba purchase. Although my main comparison is to the I/O I owned before, I love the Outback DD wake for slalom and barefooting.

maxpower220
07-08-2010, 04:31 PM
....yet as i am still considering the CC200, but its a hard one to justify now. its about 18K more and i dont get a tower, bimini, wakeplate & stereo.

$18K difference???????? Where can you get a CC 200 for $50K?

I have an 08 with the same colors and options that you drove, but I have a galvanized trailer. I'm glad that you liked the wake. If you research, you will find the the suppliers to Moomba also supply the same stuff to MC, Bu , and CC. There are only a few ways to make boats, so in the end, the boats are very similar in quality. Given the extra wideth and length of the Moomba, it is an easy boat to like.

lxirod
07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
where can i get an outback for $32?? id be paying a bit more!! it does have the assualt 340 CAT engine and zero off

skiyaker
07-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I've had my moomba for a year now and it's been nothing but good to me. I also looked at an entry level mastercraft X-1 with no stereo, no wakeplate for 15K more than my OBV. When I looked at the finish the dash had the same gages and the finish appeared similar. Then the MC rep spent 20 minutes describing shoebox construction and how it's better than what moomba does (Skiers Choice also uses shoebox construction). All the other boats I considered (Tige, nautique) were just too far out of my price range. Maybe I'm just not a discriminating enough boater to find the 15 k fit and finish difference between my boat and the X-1. Ahh... but in the end Mastercraft may have it's day with me as with the 15K I saved I'm considering buying an old used prostar 190 to use on the course... no wait I'll probably keep it in the family and look at a boomerang or supra comp :p

Sled491
07-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Glad you liked the boat. Funny you didn't find a bump at 22 as we skip that length and go straight to 28 just to avoid it. At 36 the wake is just spectacular. I hope you get into the boat. Mid season I'd try to deal a little.

We drive the course with mine all the time and it tracks just as good if not better than the others out there. Also as far as noise goes, I've had MC guys come up to me on the lake and tell me how nice they find the noise level of my Outback.

deerfield
07-08-2010, 11:00 PM
overall i really like this boat. i found it to be much more versatille than the the top 3 slalom tugs. the wake plate is a nice touch that really makes it a decent wakeboard wake. the boat is very roomy, and i feel that i could really enjoy this boat on many more levels than just a slalom tug.

lxlrod - Options on my '07 Outback, listed in descending order of use:

bimini top
sound system
ballast
heater

Heater is last, but only because it's at start and end of season. But goes to the top of the list when needed. Great feature.

My three boys and their friends pretty much wakeboard. They get their fill behind our Outback with factory ballast and tower. Recent purchase is a barefoot boom.

I ski, and that's it. Prior boat was a closed bow Nautique vintage late 70s that I bought used on a trip to Florida in 1982.

Have 170 hours on our Outback. Starts first time every time. Tower mirror broke in year two and was replaced under warranty. Blew cooling hose in year three. It, too, was replaced under warranty. Velcro strap on bimini zipper cover tore in year three. I had to pay for the replacement.

No one has ever been dissapointed in or behind our Outback, including me.

Sure would like to see you land a good deal on that nice 2010 Ouitback. - Deerfield