PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades/Changes You'd Like to See

kaneboats
06-30-2010, 10:26 AM
The dealer meeting thread got me thinking. How about a chance to post the ideas you guys have for what ought to be included or at least available on a new Moomba? Also feel free to name any features or options available now that you wouldn't care to lose or just don't use or value. In other words, how can they make them better for your needs? This is the time of year when everybody is listening so please make yourselves heard.

sandm
06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I have a few...

-deeper seat area to add the enzo bag for surfing. sure would be nice to have a 1500lb bag all stuffed out of the way. or possibly under-floor ballast like mb so you can add an additional sac in the rear locker.

-make the flip-up bow light standard. it's not that much more money at dealer cost and doesn't take that much extra time. nice touch.

-change the mounting system on the platform. it's slop when compared to bu's and mc's. especially on an 80,000 supra 24ssv.

-use different exhaust flappers. mc, centurion and mb use much nicer ones that don't have the cheap hoseclamp system, not to mention they aren't even using a standard size of flapper. you have to cut down a 4" to fit.

-I know it's another big one, but some type of removable carpet, or the main cabin carpet separate from the rest of it would be nice. re-carpeting these looks to be a chore and it's going to need done every so often.

overall, I am very satisfied with my supra and looking at other boats, I think they build a great product. the stuff listed above are the annoyances that I have with mine and if changed, would make mine a perfect boat :)

you da man
06-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Snap out carpet, stereo headunit by the driver, ballast switches on dash, thicker vinyl, more cabin lighting, swivel drivers seat, a more solid/thicker platform.

Eric Z
06-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Do some better drain system in the locker. Always full of water and smells bad.

MartinCaron
06-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Massively deeper seat area
Surf Tabs
Table mount
12v automatic battery selector
Lake water temp gauge
Pickle fork
Massiv 12v beer cooler
Bow mounted harpoon gun (JetSki Repellent)

sandm
06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
would be nice if skiers would respond to some of this, and I know they are busy, but nice to know that they are at least listening to those of us that use their products every day....

I went to the dealer the other day. they have a supra launch 22ssv fully loaded and a malibu vlx with many options. prices are close enough for those shopping 70k+ boats. I look at some of the added things on the bu and wonder as a salesman how you downplay them for someone comparing both boats?

Razzman
06-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd like to point something out here, and note i'm not against upgrades or making things better. BUT .... the more SC does to add features like flip-up bow lights, snap out carpets and thicker vinyl drives the cost up. Remember that Moomba is all about the value and while stuff like snap out carpets seems trivial it's not as you'd need a finished floor to accomplish that which in turn drives up costs. I'm just saying :D

MartinCaron
06-30-2010, 11:56 AM
What about a single engine / dual counter rotating prop & rudder

moombadaze
06-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Overall with my 08 LSV Im very satisfied and really not sure that as far as standard features go I would want much if any changed. This is a "value" boat that exceeds as it is.

Now, as far as options

Snap out/removable carpet would be high on my list-all my fishing boats had no carpet and I found that was nice. My carpet is getting matted at this point

Surf tabs, wish someone has/had tried them with results if there worth it, as that is something I would be willing to get.

As I think of things I will add to my list...

csm
06-30-2010, 12:16 PM
My '05 LSV has snapout carpet. Was this standard back then, or did the previous owner upgrade this? I assumed it was standard.

clarkro2
06-30-2010, 12:40 PM
you may be adding a new LSV to your list.

I'm just saying

Bigger built in ice chest.
Swivel captain's chair
1 hot blonde with a big chest
1 hot brunette with a big chest
1 hot redhead with a big chest

Thanks Moomba.

moombadaze
06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
you may be adding a new LSV to your list.

I'm just saying

Was this directed at me?

jester
06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
A better drain plug at the low point. I hate having water just sitting in the bottom of the boat for a week or more.

Also a better tower design. Would be nice to be able to drop the tower by myself without having to have two other people help me out.

snap out carpet or somthing that is easy on the feet but does not show dirt.

How about a keg holder or two? Have to keep the weight right.

sandm
06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
I'd like to point something out here, and note i'm not against upgrades or making things better. BUT .... the more SC does to add features like flip-up bow lights, snap out carpets and thicker vinyl drives the cost up. Remember that Moomba is all about the value and while stuff like snap out carpets seems trivial it's not as you'd need a finished floor to accomplish that which in turn drives up costs. I'm just saying :D

although I agree with you razz, several of us on here own supras and they are not being marketed as a value point boat, hence some of the suggestions as I would hope skiers reads this forum as much as supra. some of the suggestions made really should be standard on the supras and show up on the options list or as a bling upgrade on the moombas imo.

part of being a company should be to understand your competition and listen to your core customers... if others can offer "extras" such as the bow light and carpet on a 75k boat as standard, why isn't skiers? I didn't see anything real obvious in the differences in that bu and 22ssv that would have the 22ssv saying I'm that much better(although i'd be taking the ssv home hands down :) )

you know tho that all the things we are talking about may end up being a reality at the dealers show :) I'd love to see skiers have some major announcements on changes or a new hull/boat design or some radical changes on pricing on upgrades...

moombadaze
06-30-2010, 01:04 PM
"Was this directed at me?"

Noooooooo. Would I encourage you?

I was eyeballing a 09-beautifull black and blue LSV the other day as I know someone looking for a used LSV, but the wife saw me and said NO, turned around and walked off before I could explain or anything.

moombadaze
06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Yep, she's a keeper

High jack over.

No pickle forks-there is only one out there that looks ok and some just look really nasty bad-they still remind me of the trihulls.

ian ashton
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Absolutely REAL snap-out carpet, with a finished fiberglass floor underneath. Hell, I'd be happy with no carpet and finished floors. If SC adds this to a touranment ski boat, you have my word I will be ordering a new boat.

Closed bow ski boat option (I know, I'm the only person in the world who would want this!) Again, this and snap-out carpets, and I'm game!

Solid color Outback hulls/deck (aside from white/gray/beige) - At least on the DD - I begged for this when I ordered my boat and I couldn't get it, and I really wish they would have let me get it as an option - solid blue would be so nice.

SeaDek standard or as an option

BWeber
06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
I could go back and forth on this all day, but for me, I feel that many of the available options are unnecessary. Due to the nature of the beast if they are available I am going to get them. I could have lived without a lot of options on my boat, but I still like knowing that I have them even if I don’t use them. The reason I bought a Moomba is because I know I am getting a great value, even with spending extra on options. I do feel that some features on the boat could be improved to give a more luxurious feeling, but then you are losing that valve.

Being in manufacturing, I'd say limit your options to those that buyers really want to cut on inventory cost and increase flexibility for the production line with less design change over. On the marketing side, provide more options, "if you offer it, they will buy it".

I would however, pay for a newly designed hull that sits higher in the nose. I feel with one or two people in the bow it is very easy to bring water over the top. Even a few profile changes could help displace water better for some of those bigger waves.

phospher
06-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Bingo. Agree. A few things can be improved but most of this stuff is just going to raise the price and most of us don't want that.

viking
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
It's been said but Seadek as standard and a tower design that makes it easy for 1 person to raise/lower by themselves.

Add those and I'm a happy Moomba customer (not that I'm not already :)

ian ashton
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I would however, pay for a newly designed hull that sits higher in the nose. I feel with one or two people in the bow it is very easy to bring water over the top. Even a few profile changes could help displace water better for some of those bigger waves.

I think thats just a charecteristic of inboards...

Ian Brantford
06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Ditto on the correction of water retention. There should be a way to pump out water that collects in the middle of the hull with the boat level.

The low-pitch "wakeboard" prop should be the default prop with any boat that comes with a ballast system.

The stadium seating could be redesigned. The set-up on the XLV is okay, wherein part of the bench seating becomes the rear-facing seatback and leaves a big spot for the optional cooler. However, you still have to stow this big seatback when using the rear bench as a conventional forward-facing seat. Instead, the seatback should detach from the firewall and be turned around to form the seatback. The side bench spot for the cooler can be left at home if the cooler is in use. Those metal bars that attach the seatback to the stadium bench should retract into the seatback, rather than being left loose.

More cleats should be available as options. I was willing to buy more of the retractable ones, but my dealer was not confident in knowing where they'd be safe (i.e. strong location on the hull) to install. At least some guidance from the factory would help here.

I agree on keeping the Moomba line as a "value" label. I enjoy watching owners do their own upgrades such as flip-up lights, but I cannot see how SC would offer these without applying some of the design costs to all of us. It is more important that Moomba boats be easily compatible with off-the-shelf upgrades, as I have done with ballast, racks and bimini. Leave the novelties to the hobbiests.

The mirror: I am not sure about the modern hardware, but the optional tower-mounted mirror on my 2005 XLV shakes too much. Simply touching its support arm stops the shaking. A second arm to the tower would make it much more stable.

I commend SC on their upgrade of the 2006 LSV hull to a deeper design. The low seating and freeboard were a big motivator for me to look elsewhere after my test drive of the 2005 model. Fortunately for Moomba, they also offered the XLV and there was no alternative "value" line such as Axis at the time. I am very happy with the XLV, but the deeper mid-sized LSV is probably the best fit for the largest portion of the market.

K_E_N
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Playpen seating in the LSV.

newty
06-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Snap out carpets would be my #1. However with the panels in the floor the way they are, it may be tough.

Hull drain

No carpet in the V-drive lockers. They are always holding water and tend to mold and stink quickly. Especially here in the NW.

Little heaver/thicker foam in the seat bases and the sun deck. I hate how cheap they feel.

Loose the floor hump under the drivers dash. (I think they did this with the LSV this year. Not sure about the others.)

These are a few of my favorite things...

maxpower220
06-30-2010, 03:35 PM
First, redesign the Outback to a 20' or under size and improve the ski wake to rival or beat the competition. I don't really care for a closed bow boat. Concentrate on the ski wake, the cost of a new MC or CC is now over $50K. Certainly, Moomba can make an equal wake for $35K. People will buy it.

Next, introduce the Boomerang (name only) again as a Barefoot boat. There is a small market that has little competition. Hull design and HP being the 2 biggest factors.

Lastly, Design a 20-21' rear engined slalom/crossover boat (think MC214V) only slightly smaller in length and with deeper sidewalls.

The biggest thing, which they have done with the OutbackV, is have a couple of sub-20' boats for lake restrictions.

Maybe option a third accent gel coat color and make PP or ZO standard!

sandm
06-30-2010, 03:56 PM
I wonder if it would be possible for skiers to carpet the seat bases and assemble the hulls, then carpet under the seats and the floor separately. at least that way, the carpet in the main seating areas could be pulled up and replaced down the road easier..

on a side note: on what they should continue to do without changing a thing.. build a great product that provides years of family enjoyment and hosting a free website that allows all of us to suggest how to make their products better :)

Razzman
06-30-2010, 04:47 PM
although I agree with you razz, several of us on here own supras and they are not being marketed as a value point boat, hence some of the suggestions as I would hope skiers reads this forum as much as supra. some of the suggestions made really should be standard on the supras and show up on the options list or as a bling upgrade on the moombas imo.

part of being a company should be to understand your competition and listen to your core customers... if others can offer "extras" such as the bow light and carpet on a 75k boat as standard, why isn't skiers? I didn't see anything real obvious in the differences in that bu and 22ssv that would have the 22ssv saying I'm that much better(although i'd be taking the ssv home hands down :) )

you know tho that all the things we are talking about may end up being a reality at the dealers show :) I'd love to see skiers have some major announcements on changes or a new hull/boat design or some radical changes on pricing on upgrades...

sandm i'm referring to Moombas only in that statement and although i do realize we have a "blended" group here all the statements i make are Moomba specific. Now if i owned a Supra i might have a different attitude about the subject but as it's the Moomba forum i never think in terms of SC brands, just what what i have.

bbyquist
06-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Amen to your rant Mike. If it weren't for Moomba, I wouldn't be able to afford a boat like this. Are there lots of things I would like to change about it? Of course, but then I wouldn't be able to own one. I really appreciate my boat and enjoy every minute of being on it.

With that said, my head still turns every time I see one of those $80k wakeboats that have all the bells and whistles drives by.

newty
06-30-2010, 07:22 PM
My water temp is on the main screen when the PP is off.

SanMarzano
06-30-2010, 07:33 PM
It's been said but Seadek as standard and a tower design that makes it easy for 1 person to raise/lower by themselves.

Add those and I'm a happy Moomba customer (not that I'm not already :)

Yea I hat my outback tower. How do you go about lowering it?

Hoopskier
06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Well I throw my .02 in. My opinion is based off my 03 Outback, so somethings that I want are currently available on newer boats. I hope SC stays with regular gauges. I don't want to look at a computer screen. A water/air temp display would be nice. I like the looks of my tower, but if it did fold easier.

My big want is a significant HP upgrade. I have mentioned it before but I'll say it again. I would really like the new 6.0L. The other manufactureres at least offer a high HP engine although not commonplace in their smaller DD boats. My 320 hp just cuts it for barefooting. I know they have the 340 but why not go big?

Overall I'm still happy with my current boat and don't have any plans of changing soon.

RickT
06-30-2010, 09:39 PM
And often. Great thread. Alittle late for this year, but you never know

More importantly, Thank you to each of you for being such a valuable part of the family, your thoughts and ideas always mean alot to us. This thread ends up in product development by 8am tomorrow.

Rick

newyear14
06-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I would like to see a tower that can be lowered by a single person.

Ian Brantford
06-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Depth finder that doesn't fail after a few dozen hours! Between the transponder detaching from the hull to mysterious failures (broken wires?), it's not a good story. There have been many reports of it on this forum.

Many people have complained for years about failures in the dashboard connections that occur early in the boat's life. In my case, it happened right after the boat was delivered to my remote lake via a five-hour tow on its own trailer (which followed about 10 hours of my breaking it in on the dealer's lake). The fix was to re-seat all electrical connections in the dashboard. My guess is that initial assembly isn't secure enough to survive some hard shakes.

Ballast fill: Maybe this would be just for Supras for a few years, but I think that a big scoop system could fill the ballast in about one minute! That said, I am envious of the improvements done in the last year or so for Moomba models.

Fresh Air Exhaust. This should be an option. Pretty much everyone who gets it thinks that it's an extremely valuable addition. Given that it's already in production, this is more of a business arrangement than a design task.

Side hatches for underseat and underdash storage. Every day, I have to ask someone to get up and move 5-10 times to access some gear that didn't have a place in the rear storage.

Nets in the rear storage, keeping gear on top of the ballast bags as they fill. This would cost about $5 for some nylon webbing. Skip the stainless steel cupholders and add these nets!

Tweak the XLV's hull to clean up the wake at lower speeds, and to make it cleaner on both sides around 22-24 MPH.

Have a thicker driver seat, with commensurately higher bolster. This would be much cheaper and more important than a swivel chair.

Windshield wiper. Some days, there is spray. I have a little squeegee that I abruptly use fairly often, while driving, on breezy days.

The windshield (the front curved sections) are a problem. There is significant mottling of the view when wearing polarised sunglasses. I have had to shop around for non-polarised ones specifically for driving my XLV. The glassmaker is the same one as my previous boat, which did not have this problem. There must be something different about this particular glass.

mmandley: thanks for the update on the 2010 models having better water drainage. It is welcome news for new buyers.

RickT: thanks very much for responding. Even if you only get a few of the most valuable improvements in each year from the dozens that we can request, you'll stay competitive because you'll be able to prioritise well.

What SC is doing right:
- Running this forum! It was absolutely essential in my buying decision.
- Stadium seating. Searching for this feature is how I found out about Moomba. At the time, only Moomba and Tige had it.
- Lots of storage!
- Good trade-offs in overall costs with Moomba as a "value" line -- more basic amenities but with industry-standard inboard mechanicals. The pressure to go cheap like Maxum (Bayliner) or to creep closer to Supra's higher offerings must be neverending.
- Strong tower
- Playpen seating with double-height center storage for ballast and gear. It is so convenient to toss my larger bow fender in there after leaving the dock.
- The trailer. My tandem Boatmate trailer has excellent handling with the XLV on it.

TahitiVC
07-01-2010, 12:32 AM
I have only owned my 04 Mobius about a year and there are only a few things I wish it had. A swivel driver's seat would be nice when you are just achored and hanging out. It would be great to have the glass on the side open just about 2-3 inches to allow air to pass through on the hot day. More horsepower would be great. I am just getting to know this boat and every time I use it I like it more and more

kaneboats
07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Thank you everyone for the excellent responses here. Thank you Rick T for taking the time to look at this. My objective was not to get changes for this year but to give owners an opportunity to make suggestions while the attention is on new product lines and new ideas. We can expect only one or two medium to major changes a year in existing products. Bigger changes that require a major redesign or a totally new product take a lot longer and require market research, etc. We understand this. But, I assumed that if SC saw one or two very common items on our wish lists that would not require too much extra expense they might consider using this feedback to add value. One such example might be the ski locker drain setup that it seems has already been addressed.

Thanks to all for attending this "family meeting". Please continue to post your ideas as they come to you.

ian ashton
07-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I would like to see a tower that can be lowered by a single person.

A lot of people have said that, and I must admit I don't undertand. Are we talking Outback or Mobious tower? My Outback tower is really easy to fold down - just undo the knobie things, and walk it forward. Am I missing something?

ian ashton
07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Have a thicker driver seat, with commensurately higher bolster. This would be much cheaper and more important than a swivel chair.

YES YES YES! Get rid of the terrible cheese-mo seat that was introduced in 2009 and bring back the beefier 2008 seat! It seems that the older style seat is still used in Supras, and the Moomba drivers seat is now terrible!

jmvotto
07-01-2010, 10:51 AM
I like my 2007 seat which is what everyone here seams to like. Just wish it had a swivel lock...

kaneboats
07-01-2010, 10:59 AM
I think that's the same one in the '08 LSV. I love it.

jester
07-01-2010, 11:15 AM
A lot of people have said that, and I must admit I don't undertand. Are we talking Outback or Mobious tower? My Outback tower is really easy to fold down - just undo the knobie things, and walk it forward. Am I missing something?

In short Yes. In long my issues with the tower are if you have one person unscrewing the knobs then the second side gets jammed and you have to push up on the tower and unscrew it at the same time. The same goes for putting up the tower. The second is if you drop the tower with the cover most of the way on. For me to get the cover on the boat after the tower is dropped is more of a issue then getting two friends to help.

My fix was to get a storage place that I did not have to drop the tower. I have not had to drop it in a few years now. The carpet and drain are my big two but i am still very happy with the design.

clarkro2
07-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I must be missing this ... didn't know it was on my perfect pass. I guess its burried in the menu somewhere?

WTF? water temp is on perfect pass. Damn those user manuals. Don't make me read it.

clarkro2
07-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Nets in the rear storage, keeping gear on top of the ballast bags as they fill. This would cost about $5 for some nylon webbing.

Now that is a great fricken idea. There should be nylon webbing mounted to the walls in all storage compartments

maxpower220
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM

On the Outback tower, when folded forward (however hard you think it is) it sticks out in front of the boat. This makes it impossible to store in my garage unless I take the tower off. Really poor design. A tower that folds rearward and within the confines of the boat makes a lot more sense for ease of operation and storage.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Really, I am simply going to echo what others have mentioned. Which hopefully is telling SC something.

First let me say, I love my LSV. Plain and simple. It has been a fantastic first boat.

The only things I would like to see as additions are:

1. Stainless bling option for the Moomba line up. Cupholders, thru-hull fittings, etc etc.
2. A tad thicker foam in seats. (May be difficult to stay within cost restraints)
3. I would like slight modifications to storage. Specifically, small nets on the back of the V-Drive lockers doors.
4. Have SeaDek as a standard or at least an option.

Finally if not too much trouble....

1. I liked the idea of the bow mounted harpoon gun.
2. Slide out water and food bowls for my boxer. Otherwise he will keep eating my sandwiches!
3. A real live maid who I can tow in a small inflatable or strap on to the tower to help clean my 16 month old's messes.
4. A black and red "University of Georgia" package on the new XLV!! :)

Thank you, that is all...

But seriously, SC makes a FANTASTIC product and I think we can all be confident this is not going to change. I cannot wait until the stars align for my XLV upgrade!

:cool:

NCSUmoomba
07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Wow. To make a long thread even longer... it sound like several of you guys are either being too picky or whiney and not reading your owners manuals. I love my 2001 Outback, but there are some things about it that furstrate me. The gas tank is too small, the tower is shaky and ugly, the ballast system isn't adequate, and the freeboard is to low. However, this is not the boats fault, it is my fault. I am the one trying to make a wakeboard boat out of a ski boat. If I was to upgrade to an LSV, all my problems would be solved, except my girlfriend would leave me because she loves to slalom.

It is also interesting to read comments about how people want things that, if you look at the older boats, they used to be that way. I do have a center drain plug. My stereo is at the helm, my ballast switches are in the dash.

I have been going to boat shows for years looking at inboard boats. I also (like many of you) have many friends with inboards and I have been on many different boats. So here is what I might like to see regarding boats (in no particular order).

1. Place for built in trash can. I know Nautique has it in some boats, but not sure about others. Very convenient.
2. As far as the stereo, that is tricky. For normal folks, the normal setup is fine. If you are one of the high dollar stereo freaks, just order the boat with no stereo equipment at all. SC cannot satisfy the audiophiles, so it is not worth it to even try.
3. The cooler. I think the best setup is an area designed to accept a standard igloo cooler that can be taken in and out of the boat. This makes cleaning and packing easier.
4. I started to say just get rid of the Moomba Cruise altogether, and just offer Zero Off or PP, but I guess that some folks don't need this? Although it seems like a lot of people have removed the MC to install the PP?
5. Tower light built into towpoint. It is the highest point, the light should be there.
6. Underfloor ballast would be nice, but I doubt that will ever fly, so if you want it, just buy an MB or a Calabria.
7. Surf tabs could be an option. I have surfed behind an X2 with them and they work great.
8. Ventilation for the storage lockers to help dry up interiors? (I can do this myself I guess)

So pretty much, I like them just like they are.

Rick, you may already have, but if you set up any focus groups, I would love to participate. I don't live too far away. Thanks for making a great, affordable, boat.

Brian

sandm
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
rick stated that he was going to pass this on to the powers that be..

what would make this a standout thread would be to see one of them take 20 or 30 minutes and address some of the recurrent themes throughout this that are NOT issues with hull designs. would be nice to know that they are at least being thought of. I would bet that the cats at skiers are a VERY smart bunch of peeps and most of the issues in this thread have probably been talked about at some point. would be nice to know the reasons why they didn't fly or if new, either can't do because... or will look into..

I think most of the stuff mentioned in here would help skiers improve their product line, whether it be in the moomba or supra boats...

viking
07-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Place for built in trash can. I know Nautique has it in some boats, but not sure about others. Very convenient.

3. The cooler. I think the best setup is an area designed to accept a standard igloo cooler that can be taken in and out of the boat. This makes cleaning and packing easier.

So pretty much, I like them just like they are.

I gotta agree with these and also say - I love my boat. But I'm always fighting a trash bag and the slick setup on the MC's with the igloo cooler that you can take out and put in is the cat's meow!!