PDA

View Full Version : new Carpet

tazz3069
06-30-2010, 12:02 AM
I was thinking of changing the carpet in my boat. After the first year of having the boat, the carpet was looking pretty trashed. This past week, I just came back from our Family trip to Don Pedro. When we got home, it was time to wax, and clean the entire boat. After vacuuming the carpet, it did not come back to life. I would like to change out the carpet with a little sturdier weave. My dad just purchased a 91' Sanger and that carpet looked way better than mine. Has anyone change the carpet out in their boats. I think that it will be a winter project that needs to be address.
Tazz

jmvotto
06-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Byron koz changed his out.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10552&highlight=carpet

moombadaze
06-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Tazz, one issue with our LSV's is the carpet goes under the seat bases and up the insides. The factory puts the carpet in before they put the deck on. Thats going to be a big job. If you do undertake this project make sure to take lots of photos. My carpet is not holding up real well either and someday may want to change it out myself.

tazz3069
06-30-2010, 07:45 AM
I just want to change what can be seen. I really did not want to tackle the whole thing. The carpet in the cab and in the rear Locker is what I was thinking. Is this a project that I can do or should I send it to the professionals?

viking
06-30-2010, 01:26 PM
why not buy and inlay and drop it in?

Razzman
06-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Tazz, shoulda reminded me you were at Pedro! I forgot all about it :(

A few thoughts here on this subject;

Replacing carpet yourself is no big deal, did it on another boat no problem. The big pain is pulling up the old and removing all the glue so you get a nice smooth install.
On an LSV IF i were to do it I would probably cut the carpet flush with the rubber molding around the seat bases. I doubt that after gluing carpet down you'd be able to push excess under it.
An overlay is good, it keeps the carpet clean for the most part and is easy to remove and hose off. That's what i do with mine.

gcnettl
06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Replaced everything in mine. Carpet and upholstery. 1600.00 for everything. Trouble is finding a shop that will do it that cheap. I had to search far and wide, and wound up finding one within 20 miles.

tazz3069
07-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Sorry about that Razz. We already made our reservations for next year.

The rubber piece that is above the carpet, can that be removed?

My upholstery is in perfect condition. I just want to change out the carpet. I think that I only need the parts that are visible. The carpet under the seats and hidden away, only gets seen when I remove the seat. The other carpet is trashed. No matter what I do, I can not get it to stand up. It is as flat as a board right now.

maxpower220
07-01-2010, 10:40 AM
I think I would cut the carpet about 3" away from the outside edge. Then have carpet made to fit the entire area and attach with snaps. Then you have removable carpet that you can clean and dry. When you put it down, if there is any gap, the old carpet that is still down will fill that gap. Also, the snaps could be installed into the old carpet strip remaining and be barely visible.
Just a thought.

kaneboats
07-01-2010, 10:56 AM
That's a darn good idea. The old carpet should be strong enough near the edges to hold the snaps.

newty
07-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Definatly going to do something this next winter after a little opps from a couple weeks ago (i don't want to go into details);). So we need to keep more practical ideas coming. I'm thinking of cutting the carpet around the seat bases, bolstering the panels in the floor so the gaps are smaller, and either coating the floor with something or possibly do seadecking then having a snap in/overlay made.

kaneboats
07-04-2010, 10:53 AM
I smell a sticky on the "How To" page coming. Then again, maybe that's just the carpet glue I smell.