PDA

View Full Version : Drivers seat cushion Type IV PFD?

Bad Bob
06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I received a ticket at Shasta over Memorial day for not having a type IV PFD on board. Oops. Shame on me. I was wondering if the drivers seat cushion would act as a type IV PFD? Does anybody know?

I assume it is not approved by the US Coast Guard. Will it float? If so, does anybody know how much weight it will keep up?

Trying to avoid paying $203. Ouch!

Bob

jester
06-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Ouch that sucks. The drivers seat will not pass for a type IV. I have not thought to drop it in the water since then my seat will be wet and we cannot have that.

bbyquist
06-29-2010, 02:10 PM
yikes, no warning first? We were inspected early last summer and didn't have a type IV on board. They gave us a written warning and told us to get one before coming to the lake again.

Ian Brantford
06-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Ouch! I have occasionally wondered about getting a ring buoy, but they are pretty sizable pieces of equipment that cannot be compressed or reshaped -- and they have to kept accessible. In Canada, there is a distinction between a "buoyant heaving line" and a "life buoy" (with attached line). For vessels up to 8 metres (26 feet), only the line is required, so a watersports tow rope/handle is sufficient.

spoon03
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
I just bought the $10 throw type at Dick's Sporting Goods. Keeps the tickets away. The last time I was stopped, I didn't have one and got the warning.

Bad Bob
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
This is the pits. $203 Those sheriffs should be ashamed of themselves. There were 5 people and 8 ski vests.

Rules are rules I guess. At least the lake was full.

zabooda
06-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Pretty much common sense. The law has been in affect a long time. It is also a ticket if the throwable is not easy accessable. If you have to dig for it, you just as well tell the cop to write your ticket now as it is buried.

Welcome to boating Bob. In Washington State you get that information when you get your boating drivers license that is required. Seats are only good on airlines but if you can get your boat airborne then you're good to go.

sandm
06-29-2010, 08:08 PM
I got lectured for making sure that the throwable was within arms reach, and then he told me that each person on the boat has to have a lifejacket within arms reach as well. I was going to ask him which arms I should use to drive the boat, but figured that some don't have a real sense of humor :)

I politely said "yes sir" and then stashed them back where they belong as we hit the ramp..

zabooda
06-29-2010, 09:32 PM
I make it the first item under the bow seat.

Tyger
06-30-2010, 01:21 AM
Following advice on this forum, I have been using my throwable as a booster seat to see over the bow more easily so it's readily accessible. Before that it was under the back left seat. I knew where it was, but I'm not sure if that would be quick enough for Johnny law.

Kind of a jerk for not giving you a warning, but then again, cops are jerks...

Probably best that you didn't test his sense of humor, but that is pretty funny. Personally I would have demonstrated how to drive with a life preserver in each hand, but it involves puling down my shorts. I'm sure that's a violation of some law, too. :P

squeeg333
07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Okay, so I have a really stupid question... the drivers seat is removable??? I haven't ever tried to pull it up, but, if it is, that's awesome!!

jester
07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Part of it can be removed out. The main seat part can be pulled up for cleanning and such or at least with the 08OBV. Just pull up on it and it comes out.

squeeg333
07-01-2010, 02:36 PM
No kidding. That's awesome. I've been wondering how the best way to clean all the nooks and crannies would be. I'll have to give that shot!!

squeeg333
07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
You learn something new every day!! She pulled right up, and, well, I'm glad I did since it was dirty under there. But, now I feel even better and can finally sleep at night knowing my drivers seat is fully clean - Top and bottom.