PDA

View Full Version : shoes poll

sandm
06-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Ok, been a while since we've had a poll going, so lets find out for ed's sake what the consensus is on footwear on a boat :)

I'll start with barefeet only. no shoes allowed..

Razzman
06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Ditto here too. And yeah that gray carpet gets hot when it's over 100 but tuff doo-doo.

sandm
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
ed-probably do know the total outcome, but I'm interested to see how many allow them as you do. I have friends that do, so it might be surprising.

kills time when you can't be on the lake as well :)

jester
06-29-2010, 11:32 AM
What no hunting boots? Go for a hunt at 4 am get on the boat around 6:30 AM and just keep the boots on.

I think you need to add one that says feet only but after they have been washed.

kaneboats
06-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Actually, you should make everyone wear socks. The oils in your feet can be worse for the carpet than the dirt that might come off your shoes. I don't have "stinky feet" but I have a couple of family members who do. But, all of us have oil in our skin, even in our feet.

skiyaker
06-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Actually, you should make everyone wear socks. The oils in your feet can be worse for the carpet than the dirt that might come off your shoes. I don't have "stinky feet" but I have a couple of family members who do. But, all of us have oil in our skin, even in our feet.

that's true- but they should not be cotton socks. the detergents in the cotton can change the pH of the carpet fibers and result in premature carpet failure

jmvotto
06-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Clean shoes are ok, boats are meant to get used. and if we go out to dinner, lunch or for drinks at a restaurant or bar then" not shirt, no shoes, no service"

They usually get stowed pretty quickly though.

sandm
06-29-2010, 12:10 PM
not to stereotype, BUT I see a lot of calf-high sock/sandal and calf-high sock/shoe combos at the lake on a saturday. most of them are guys with absolutely no tans getting into those low-slung all-engine boats, they go burn 15 gallons of gas in 20-30 minutes and then leave :)

the best time is watching some of them load their boats back onto trailers and try to do so not getting any part of their bodies wet :)

Waynes345
06-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I vote flip flops or slides only. Primarily because shoes are a pain in the ass. They come off immediately and then I need to find a place for them and they untimately get wet. My older OB doesn't have much in the way of storage space that isn't already crammed with the necessities. If we're just taking the boat down to the restuarant and everybody keeps them on their feet, I could care less. It is impossible to keep the inside of my boat dry when towing so I insist on easy off, waterproof, easily stashable flip flops. Unwaxed of course.

jester
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
socks.

Now c'mon, I'll wear my black socks (that cover my calf muscles) with my sandles when I'm struttin' around walmart looking for babes,

not that is funny. Also socks are great for early riding when air plus water is still be low 90.

I forgot about the oil's on people's feet. I might have to have everyone put baggies on thier feet now.

BensonWdby
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
The deal with shoes is not so much the carpet as the other surfaces. Granted bare feet can bring in as much sand as shoes. My concern is when they step on the gel coat as they get in and grind the sand into the top side of the boat. I am not a big fan of waxing and polishing.

csm
06-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm okay with someone wearing shoes as long as they aren't muddy. I clean the boat after each use anyway, so a little dirt isn't too bad.

I wear flip flops in the boat, as do most people, but they come off quick.

Now crocs... that's a different story. Pretty sure crocs have never been on my boat, and if they were, they would most likely "accidentally" get dropped overboard at some point.

SEARK
06-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm okay with someone wearing shoes as long as they aren't muddy. I clean the boat after each use anyway, so a little dirt isn't too bad.

I wear flip flops in the boat, as do most people, but they come off quick.

Now crocs... that's a different story. Pretty sure crocs have never been on my boat, and if they were, they would most likely "accidentally" get dropped overboard at some point.

Now don't talk bad about the Crocs. They are great boat shoes, can get wet, can get on & off real quick their just so darn functional. Now I wouldn't wear them out to dinner, that's just a whole different deal. :D

Waynes345
06-29-2010, 03:50 PM

No Crocs in my boat either! We've had a running debate over these "shoes" for the past couple summers at our lake and one of the crew bought a pair that are now the gag gift to pass around. If you are under age 7, I'll let them in, otherwise they accidentally float away.

Waynes345
06-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Ed - Do you wear the black socks with the Crocs too? Need pictures...

Ian Brantford
06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Now who the heck wear socks when they go boating?

Who has socks anywhere near a boat?

Hahaha! I have worn socks on my boat! I have a couple of pairs of neoprene socks onboard all the time. They were originally bought to space out the wakeboard bindings that I have for guests. They never got used for that, but they instead turned out to be great for avoiding chafing from the foot straps on the hydrofoil.

We also get some deerflies coming out from shore to bother us. They are quite aggressive and seem to prefer biting the tops of feet and ankles. They leave big painful welts. A couple of times (typically the 2nd day of boating on a weekend), I have worn those thick black socks all day, because they are deerfly-proof! These socks are fashionable and functional.

K_E_N
06-29-2010, 05:02 PM
BARE FEET ONLY!!

For those of you who allow people to wear their flippy floppies, keep in mind that Reef makes those with bottle openers in the sole (Fannings). Just looking at mine makes me think that they could do some serious damage to some vinyl if someone stepped onto a seat just right.

zabooda
06-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Shoes are required exiting the boat but anything goes inside the boat. When someone steps on something in the water and cuts their foot it ends the day's fun. I've been there, standing waist deep to take my sandals off and get my ski on only to find out about the broken glass below me.

kaneboats
06-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Well, as you guys know we live in a shoe. We stop at the ramp and the kids climb out through the tailgate of the Suburban and into the bow. They leave shoes in the truck. If we beach they are only allowed back in the boat via the platform-- to get the sand off. When we pull out they go back through the bow into the truck and get their shoes back. So far so good. When we get home they clean/vacuum the carpet so they are pretty good about enforcing cleanliness but still having fun. No Cheetos on the boat but healthy snacks that don't mess. This LSV has to last me about 15 years.

csm
06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Plus the wife is always reminding me, the closer to shore, the closer she is to getting bit by snake.

hahaha - glad I'm not the only one with this somewhat irrational fear... the only time I'm okay with my driver doing a power turn is if I'm boarding and fall a little too close to a shore where there are a lot of tree roots... get me outta there.

rc5695
06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
NO SHOES ALLOWED on my boat! The one time I let someone, it was myu wife's grandmother, around 70 years old. Sure enough, it marked one of the seats and it never came out. VERY hard on the vinyl! Now that my Kamberra has a skid-pad step, I guess I'd consider allowing it, so-long-as they are clean and dont' step on the fiberglass top-side of the boat to get in...

BensonWdby
06-30-2010, 08:53 PM
We also ask visitors to remove shoes when entering the house. The deal with shoes is that they get into dog-doo, gum, asphalt, oil, etc. This is especially true in the summer when high temps are likely to allow transfer to the shoe sole. You can make allowances if people 'check' before they get in, but that lasts the first few times and then everyone forgets.

It is true that if people are barefoot in general, they can also aquire these nasty foreign materials, but the odds are in favor of the boat in my opinion.

jjolson
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Barefoot only

BensonWdby
07-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Not crazy - just lazy - Not a big fan of cleaning house...No shoes just makes it tha much easier... Especially in the northern climates where snow and mud are common place and very few people use overshoes..

rc5695
07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
"We also ask visitors to remove shoes when entering the house."

Duuuuuuude...when I was working on my Psych degree, I wrote many a paper about you :)

If I were you, I'd tile the house - I just did.

No worries about anybody doing anything

You wrote a paper on me then too. We also as visitors to remove shoes upon entering our house. We have gotten a little lax now that we've got wood floors though. Down here the red dirt staines EVERYTHING red. Our linoleum already needs to be replaced after 8 years, and that is w/ the no shoes rule... Hopefully going to tile in those areas in a couple years...

ian ashton
07-01-2010, 12:31 PM
polls ARE always fun :)

Thats what she said.

I don't so much care about (clean) shoes on my carpet, but the thought of teh sole of a shoe stepping on my fiberglass makes me cringe, and for that reason I generally request that shoes be left on the dock.

ian ashton
07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Yea, its only natural for people to step off my dock onto the gunnels, they are basically the same height.

kaneboats
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I step up there everytime I retrieve or replace a wakeboard from the racks.

jclevoy
07-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Bare feet in the boat, but shoes need to be stowed somewhere handy. I didn't wear my shoes up to the marina store the other day, and the dock was so hot that I got a 1.5" diameter blister on the bottom of my foot. I actually didn't know that was possible, but it was quite sore for several days after.

BensonWdby
07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
20% of our guests step off the deck, grabbing the tower, onto the motor clamshell...

jester
07-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Shoes do need to be stored and that is the perfect use of the build in cooler. Only use i can find for it.

you da man
07-02-2010, 06:21 PM
My built in floor cooler works fine but I have an XLV, never seen the Outback or LSV cooler

Sled491
07-03-2010, 10:33 AM
No shoes, yes its a boat, and that boat gets used and used a lot, so why not show some respect for my property and take your shoes off.

We don't have shoes in the house either. And for the record my house has only carpet in the BR's and at the lake house only in our room, the kids rooms and every where else is tile and hardwood.

If you have no kids and few quests who are obviously not coming out of some outdoor place maybe you can keep your shoes on, but my kids and there friends are every where all the time, jumping off the quad or Dirt Bike to jump in the boat for a ride/ski, they need to take there shoes off. Parents lead by example, it's no simpler than that.

kaneboats
07-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Shoes do need to be stored and that is the perfect use of the build in cooler. Only use i can find for it.

You mean the garbage can?

cab13367
07-04-2010, 12:31 PM
No one that I have invited has yet to show up on the dock with shoes on - everyone wears sandals/flip flops. Whatever they're wearing, they are taken off and put under the port seat in the bow before they board. As much as we are in and out of the boat/water, there's no need for anyone to have footwear on while on my boat. I'm not going to let anyone step on the vinyl with their sandals on so they would just end up cluttering the floor of the boat. So we take care of that right off the bat by stowing them out of the way.

davinci
07-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Wow Ed just released the flame thrower and..........BURNED!!! Everyone with that last post Lol:oops::oops::oops:

kaneboats
07-04-2010, 02:48 PM
You could be dead tomorrow.
I hope not. I wouldn't be able to rest peacefully knowing there's dirt on my seats.

Waynes345
07-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I hope not. I wouldn't be able to rest peacefully knowing there's dirt on my seats.

Now that was funny.

cab13367
07-04-2010, 11:52 PM
"I'm not going to let anyone..."

Man, why do you guys even invite people on your boat if your gonna have such preconceived rules?

What's the point?

Your certainly not making it fun for your guests if your blasting them with conditions.

Come to Florida and climb aboard Moomba Martha.

Sand on my sundek, cause you got your shoes on...so what. It's a boat. It's made for that.

I'll show you how to have fun and you will feel welcome.

No Rules. No Worries. The true Moomba spirit.

Ed,

I'm glad that u have an anything goes attitude about ur boat. Good for u but not everyone is that way. I kept my last boat 15 years and will probably do the same with this one, unless some revolutionary thing comes along that I can't live without, so I take good care of my boat and expect my guests to do the same. I would never think of walking on someone's couch or their car's upholstery with my shoes on and the same goes for their boat. It's common courtesy and none of my guests think twice about it. In fact, most of them have their sandals in their hands when they board the boat without word from me. And really, why do u need to even wear shoes or sandals on a towboat?

So Ed, you do what u want with ur boat and I'll do the same with mine.

Peace.

Al

cab13367
07-05-2010, 11:38 AM
"why do u need to even wear shoes or sandals on a towboat"

Al,

I wear shoes or sandals onto a tow boat, simply to keep feet from getting cut by sharp submerged objects or getting burned on hot surfaces.

whenever I am picking people up off the beach at the public boat ramp, I insist they leave their shoes on while walking in the water towards the boat. I'd much rather have some sand in the boat then have the day spoiled by an injury

Once in the boat, the shoes end up wherever they end up.

I once jumped out of the boat without wearing my shoes and landed right on top of a rusted steel bar embedded in concrete.

rest of the day was spent waiting in the emergency room

Ed,

We have very different boating environments. I primarily boat on a small lake where there are no beaches and no marina or restaurant that is accessible by water so we spend the entire time either on the boat or in the water. So my guests meet me at the parking lot where they climb on the boat while the boat is on the trailer, or they meet us at the boat dock and we pick them up from there. Everyone wears sandals until they board the boat at which time they get stowed. From there,'we spend the entire time either doing water sports or anchored in a cove in at least 20' of water to hang out, listen to tunes, and swim. At no point does anyone go on shore or has a need to. If someone has to leave early, we drop them off at the boat ramp, hand them their sandals, and they walk merrily to their car.

So in my world, wearing sandals while on the boat, or having them all over the floor for people to twist their ankle on makes no sense. It's a non issue and everyone "gets it".

So before you get on someone for the way they do things on their boat, please consider the fact that everyone's boating scene is different and what makes sense for u may not for someone else.

Thx,

Al

cab13367
07-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Hell Al...

90% of the things I do makes no sense to the rest of the world.

And you know what? I like it like that :)

You're definitely one of a kind Ed :)

BensonWdby
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Maybe the majority here can learn something from the minority. Since our policy of no shoes has been from the beginning, it may be baseless and maybe we are unnecessarily restricting our guests. My concern is based on laziness and not wanting to have to lug a vacuum down to the dock (we do not trailer).

Ed - based on your experience do you find yourself doing a lot of vacuuming or shampooing or vinyl cleaning or buffing out gel coat scratches? If not - maybe we all just need to lighten up on our guests??

Old Dogs can learn new tricks....

Sled491
07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Based on what I see from the Poll we who do not want shoes or foot wear in general our boats seem to be the majority. Funny that the majority is defending itself?

BensonWdby
07-06-2010, 09:31 AM
So I gotta ask... If you swing the boat around so they can load from shore on the platform - you can't get all the way up to the beach because of the prop - right? So they are wearing flip-flops and walk in the water before stepping on the platform? This would certainly help wash off sand before entering...