PDA

View Full Version : Changing a prop - will that void warranty?

loudsubz
06-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I just bought an ACME 1433 prop for wakeboarding. I have never heard of any issues with propellers causing issues to engine/drivetrain but my dad was looking through the manual and noted a small blurb about engine damage due to the propeller allowing the engine to overrev.

Now since the boat is split between the 3 of us (brother, dad, myself) he is giving me the speech about waiting untill warranty is over before installing this new prop.

Should I be concerned or do they put that in there just for legal reasons?

Sled491
06-28-2010, 11:21 PM
That would be a first. Just send SC a quick email to get a confirmation. However keep in maid that there are usually more than one prop available for any given model. Also in some model years it seems some boats come with this prop and others with that.

loudsubz
06-29-2010, 07:01 AM
I sent an email to the 2 posted emails in the about >> contact us, will see what they say

Sled491
06-29-2010, 08:49 AM
If that doesn't help, try indmar direct as they are the ones that back the warrenty on your engine. There are also some reps from the various prop companies on these boards that may be able to help out as well.

loudsubz
06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
So far Indmar has been great at getting back to me and explaining.

Larry (whom I spoke with) basically said its better if the engine hit the rev limiter as that means its actually on a very light load, rather than having the engine struggle around 3800 RPM at WOT because there is too much stress on the engine.

"As long as the engine is able to turn within the recommended range at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) with the normal load in the boat, the engine will be happy. You didn't say which engine you have but our 5.7L fuel injected engines should be able to turn between 4600 and 5200 RPM at WOT when the boat is loaded. That doesn't mean you have to run it there all the time. It just needs to be able to. If the engine can turn within that range at WOT, it will be loaded properly throughout the RPM range."

"You are correct, there is an RPM limiter on the engine. If the engine hits the RPM limiter... that is actually good as it represents the least "least" amount of load on the engine. The ones that are in trouble are the engines that are only able to turn significantly less than the low end of the WOT RPM range when fully loaded. I have seen some engines that have failed in very short amounts of time that were only able to turn 3800 PRM at WOT ... the engine does not like that."

Sled491
06-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Seems like your on the right track, hope you got what you were looking for.