PDA

View Full Version : Why Carpet?

jmondl
06-28-2010, 04:23 PM
I've had the 2010 Outback for less than a month, & am generally very satisfied. Here's my gripe: why do boat manufacturers insist on putting carpet in boats? I cannot think of a more ill-suited boat floor than carpeting. It gets dirty, worn, and mildewed. Most people (certainly my kids) remove their shoes before walking on our carpet in my house, but in the boat, people stomp all over the carpeting with wet and sometimes dirty feet. We just sold our 2001 Glastron that had injection molded decking that was great. Does anyone like their boat carpeting? No one I've talked to likes theirs. So what gives?

phospher
06-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Personally, I prefer my carpet over the open bow fiberglass or plastic (whatever it is). It feels nice on my feet and it doesn't get slippery when wet. I will agree though, it doesn't hold up very well. One rule on my boat is no shoes!

jmondl
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I like your no-shoes rule. How do you implement that rule: When you see someone boarding with sandals, do you ask them to take them off, or do you provide an orientation for everyone asking for no shoes, or some other alternative?

Canuckle Head
06-28-2010, 06:12 PM
I like your no-shoes rule. How do you implement that rule: When you see someone boarding with sandals, do you ask them to take them off, or do you provide an orientation for everyone asking for no shoes, or some other alternative?

I just say to them before they get on the boat " Hey, pass me your sandals and I'll put them away for you so no one will trip over them."

They clue in pretty quick after that.

jester
06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
I was just in an Axis and they had somthing better then carpet. It is like a mesh that can snap in and out. One of the few things I liked about that boat.

Razzman
06-29-2010, 12:26 AM
I also have a no shoe policy and always have in every boat. Nobody comes on my boat with anything but bare feet and not so subtle about it, I just tell 'em no shoes on the boat. I also have a carpet overlay to protect the carpet and it's easier to clean.

sailing217
06-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Different boat, mine has snap-out carpet and smooth white fiberglass underneath. If they would have grit-ed up the fiberglass so it was no slip, I wouldn't use my carpet. Snap out is the next best thing.

Now why they carpet the storage compartments is even worse????

phospher
06-29-2010, 10:57 AM
How do you implement that rule:

I just tell them we have a no shoes rule on the boat. It applies to everyone so I don't feel shady asking people to take off their shoes. It's not a bad trade off, you take off your shoes and you get to come on these nice boats :)

Ian Brantford
07-01-2010, 12:00 PM
My guess about carpetting in the storage areas is to prevent the ballast tanks and your own gear from scrapes on fibreglas.

kaneboats
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Quiets everything down too.