PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood Stereo

squeeg333
06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Hey fellas, I've got a question. Currently, I'm running the stock KDC-234MR (or whatever the number is), that only has two pre-outs, and they are only 2.5V apiece. I am wanting to upgrade to a newer Kenwood deck with 3 pre-outs at 4V per. However, I'd like to keep my cockpit and transom remotes as they are (the stock Aeware ones). I have read a few posts about these remotes being compatable with non-stock stereos as long as the head unit has the "remote cont" wire.
My question is do you guys know if that's the case for all Kenwood decks? I am looking at a few of the eXcelon decks, and it says for steering wheel remote control you need to be an additional thing to make it work. However, do you guys know if I just hook in via that "remote cont" wire if they will work? I am assuming they will, as I think that's how it setup now, but I am very curious.
Any input you guys have would be solid.

EarmarkMarine
06-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Nothing additional is required for the Excelon deck if you have the Kenwwod or Gecko factory non-display remotes. Btw, I can see the justification for upgrading the source unit to a triple-set high-voltage model if the unit is on the driver's side. However, if the source unit is on the passenger side and your primary objective is the preouts, then there may be better options that provide additional benefits like placing the three zone controls in a more convienent location with quicker access by not having to go through a tedious menu.

David
Earmark Marine

cab13367
06-28-2010, 03:23 PM
squeeg,

I upgraded to the Xcelon 692 and connected the Aeware remotes to the blue, "remo cont" wire and it works fine. I think that any Kenwood deck with that wire would be compatible with the stock remotes.

Al

squeeg333
06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Al - Thanks for the info. I read your writeup on another post that got me thinking that it might be possible. You like the Excelon deck?

moomba wannabe
07-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Just for info and anybody wondering; I decided to go with the KDC-X494, mainly because I liked the front ports, and both remotes work perfectly. I bought the DB651's last year when they were so cheap, and for just a head unit and the 6 speakers I am very happy with the sound especially for having only about $250 into it.

squeeg333
09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Just for info and anybody wondering; I decided to go with the KDC-X494, mainly because I liked the front ports, and both remotes work perfectly. I bought the DB651's last year when they were so cheap, and for just a head unit and the 6 speakers I am very happy with the sound especially for having only about $250 into it.

Thanks for the heads up on that man! I am seriously thinking about getting the X494, mainly because I also like the front USB port. Makes things a lot more easy for access once installed. And great news on the remotes working. I'm thinking I should do this before winterizing, just to be sure that I'll be happy with it come spring time!

viking
09-10-2010, 08:03 PM

2nd the front USB and Aux ports. Makes it handy. I upgraded to the X493 which i think is just an earlier model (saved a few bucks) and glad i did. 3 4v preouts and front ports and works fine with factory puck. You won't be sorry.

Razzman
09-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Just had to replace my HU today! Bummer! Oh well, put in a 2010 Pioneer DEH-P4200UB and it is sweet! 3 high voltage outputs, aux & USB on the face and a very nice interface, all for a local price of $150!