PDA

View Full Version : What to apply on cone of woofer to help protect from elements

loudsubz
06-27-2010, 11:16 PM
I bought a set of Krypt HLCD and during shipping the grill moved on one of the speakers and was rubbing on the woven speaker cone during shipping. Thankfully it didn't tear the cone or do anymore damage, but there is a white dust on part of the cone and I can see some of the woven part is dull not as the rubbing action had rubber whatever coating was on the woofers.

I can exchange them no problem but its more trouble than its worth esp since shipping is a killer.

Can I apply some sort of epoxy or super glue just to coat the cone to seal it up again?

Tyger
06-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Oooh, that's a tough one. If it was anything but a woofer, I would tell you just to get a new one. Especially in a boat, the sub isn't going to need quite the dynamic range, because that's what you will lose if you repair this yourself. Whatever you use to seal is not going to be as flexible as the rest of the cone and therefore the sub will be a little less responsive.

Personally, I would contact the manufacturer and see what they tell you. It's probably going to be 'send it back', but they may be able to recommend something you can get.

Failing that, I would try 3M super 77 or (maybe better) 90. Practice on a piece of cardboard (corragated brown, not cardboard off a shoe box as it's already sealed). Once you are comfortable, soak as small an area as possible. Make sure you are working in a clean area and seal the woofer with saran wrap a few minutes after you spray it to keep dust, etc out of the adhesive until it cures. Leave it like that for 3-4 days, then test and makes sure it's not still tacky. That will provide the most flexible seal for the cone that I can think of.