PDA

View Full Version : Propeller replacement

BensonWdby
07-31-2004, 01:57 PM
We have a 1999 Moomba Mobius with 5.7L Carburated Indmar direct drive. In a local public landing this morning we hit something that bent two blades on this prop. So I am looking for a replacement. My local ski shops have them but can't get to mu for a week. If I had a puller I could pull it and get to a prop shop in a day. That will be my plan.

Problem: General comments regarding prop replacement suggest that you should replace the prop with what is on there from the boat mfr. In this case an OJ Legend 13x13 cupped NiBrAl.

My local prop guy tells me I should replace it with an ACME. First question is do we think this will have any adverse effects? Second, is it really worth the extra money??

TIA
Dave

BensonWdby
08-02-2004, 11:16 PM
So here is what I ended up with. An ACME 3 blade 13 x 12. The prop guy said I would love it. I ran it tonight and am not so sure. It seems louder. Otherwise it does give a couple mph on top end and not sacrifice on hole shot. Supposed to be a flatter slalom wake, but wakes don't shake me much so I can't say if it is or not.

Jury is still out on this.

Dave

DOCDRS
08-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Dave,

I'm curious as well. i'm looking for a little more top end as well. Is it the acme cnc
prop? i have a99 as well and mine tops out at 44 with original prop, and about 42
when doing one foots.

a need for speed
Doug

BensonWdby
08-03-2004, 09:05 PM
We got an ACME 541, 13x12. I contacted ACME directly and they recommended the same as the prop dealer. Yes it is the CNC guys.

We got a couple mph so our top is about 47-48 with no ballast and 400 lbs of passengers. (Yes more than one).

Don't pull footers. Hole shot is not that different than the Legend. It is supposed to have a better slalom wake, but I am not so sure. I was getting bounced around a bit at 15 off@34 this morning. But it could have been me. I was falling all over the place.

I think it is louder, but that could be a result of other proplems resulting from the low speed impact on the ol prop?? Hope it did not do any internal damage. No vibration, just different noise. Almost like it is echooing off the hull??

I am going to get my OJ repaired and swap them out (now that I have a puller and understand what how it works).

Stand-by
Dave