PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the boat a 1000 miles

mobyatBelews
06-26-2010, 06:29 PM
As I get ready to move to Minnesota from NC, one of my concerns is getting my LS there. Looks like I will have to pull it. Any suggestions on preparing the boat and the actual drive 1/2 way across the country. Should I be concerned about an stress from tower sway?

Sled491
06-26-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't think you need to do anything special other than make sure your tires are good and the hub baths are full. If your worried about your tower then lower it, protect it, and strap it down good.

maxpower220
06-26-2010, 07:04 PM
I have pulled boats from FL to CA and back, though those did not have a tower. I know that boats are shipped with the tower mounted backwards: I don't know why other than space. If you are worried, take the tower off.

Strap your boat down! If you don't have transom ties, get some. Bumpy roads will cause you boat to bounce off the trailer (up and down). Check the tires, pressure, and axle lube. Make sure that you have a spare, a lug nut that will fit your trailer tire, and a jack that compresses well. You can consider using bungy cords to hold down seat cushions, as highway gusts of wind could cause them to dislodge.

Drive no faster than the posted speed limit. 70 is really too fast to pull your boat for hours on end, but I did it. Make sure that your insurance has towing; either your tow vehicle or your boat insurance. It will take longer than expected to get there, more stops for gas as your mileage has gone done and probably a slower speed.

james yarosz
06-26-2010, 10:13 PM
If you have the little wheel on the bottom of the boat that drives the speedo pit some tape over it.

gcnettl
06-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Pulled my moomba 800 miles. Axle broke midway there (single axle). That was a mess. Second pull, again 800 miles, was just driving along and there went the windshield. No other cars around, no trees, nothing. Was on I-20. So I dont like pulling long distances, and I will NEVER ever buy another 4k or 5k pound boat that has a single axle trailer. Why do they even make a single axle trailer for our boats?

Ian Brantford
06-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Pulled my moomba 800 miles. Axle broke midway there (single axle). That was a mess. Second pull, again 800 miles, was just driving along and there went the windshield. No other cars around, no trees, nothing. Was on I-20. So I dont like pulling long distances, and I will NEVER ever buy another 4k or 5k pound boat that has a single axle trailer. Why do they even make a single axle trailer for our boats?

Ouch! It never occurred to me before, but the LS and LSV how now grown to only 300 lbs shy of the XLV, which is only sold with a tandem axle trailer. I wouldn't think of towing my XLV with a single axle.

tazz3069
06-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Well to lessen the weight, make sure that all the gas is out of the tank.

mobyatBelews
06-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Maybe a silly thought... but is it worth getting the boat shrink wrapped, especially since it won't have the cover?????

Sled491
06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Not sure shrink wrappping will take the trip. Just relax, this is just 20 fifty mile trips to the lake and back :)

yearround
06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Not sure shrink wrappping will take the trip. Just relax, this is just 20 fifty mile trips to the lake and back :)

oh that is a nice thought and a new perspective.

we pull the boat on long trips every year, 500+ each way, no worries about the tower. have not had any problems. my dad has always towed without transom straps on his IO of similar weight, but i would not do so without (also i believe many state laws require straps)

zabooda
06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Have you thought about looking at the two markets and see if it would be better to sell your boat and get one in NC. Especially if you're busy this summer moving in then you could buy in the fall.

Sled491
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow, now that is the best idea I heard yet!!

04OUTBACK
06-28-2010, 05:48 PM
I agree with MMandley.. Take everything off the tower.. speakers, bimini, mirror, etc. Check the knobs on the tower before towing.. and also the screws/bolts that bolt the tower to the hull.
I had mine towed 1200 miles last august from Miss. to NY. No issues.
Saran Wrap on the tower might prevent some bugs..

Spare tire and make sure the oil baths are full on the hubs.
BW

Hootreville
06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I towed my I/O 1700 miles from Washington to Wisconsin. The boat was a little lighter than what your dealing with, but I took everything apart tower, racks ect. and put it in the boat. Along with anyhting else i could store in there and had it shrink wrapped for the trip. Just my 2 cents!!!