PDA

View Full Version : starting - 2000 Mobius

asil210
06-26-2010, 03:40 PM
ok in my 2000 mobius so far I have replaced sparkplugs, distributor cap and button, battery, impeller, and some other things unrelated to starting.... sometimes i try to start the boat and the engine will crank but will not turn over and run. I have to go through this 10+/- times and then the boat will turn over easily and run like a top...in fact it almost turns over too fast like the starter is still engaged for a brief moment....any ideas are apprecited. I also have check my wiring and it is all snug...far as i know it is also all original wiring too.

gcnettl
06-26-2010, 10:12 PM
ok in my 2000 mobius so far I have replaced sparkplugs, distributor cap and button, battery, impeller, and some other things unrelated to starting.... sometimes i try to start the boat and the engine will crank but will not turn over and run. I have to go through this 10+/- times and then the boat will turn over easily and run like a top...in fact it almost turns over too fast like the starter is still engaged for a brief moment....any ideas are apprecited. I also have check my wiring and it is all snug...far as i know it is also all original wiring too.

By saying that the engine will crank, but will not turn over and run, I am guessing that you mean that the starter spins, but does not spin the motor. This would be indicative of a bad starter bindix. The bindix winds up briefly when you switch the ignition to start, and spring tension within the bindix pushes the gear in the stater outward toward the flywheel. If this spring is worn, it will not push the gear outward therefor it will not engage the flywheel and in turn spin the engine. You can replace just the bindix on the starter, or go ahead and install a new or rebuilt starter since you have already taken the time to take the old starter off, might as well go back with a fresh one.