PDA

View Full Version : My project boat

davinci
06-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi all ..just recieved my first wakeboarding boat. I found it in Las vegas and i live in Canada. It was a bank repo, and apperently when the boats are about to be repossed the owner rips off as much as he can, which in this case the prop/rudder/swim platform/engine/and tower.I've been searching the net for rudder specs/prop specs etc. not much out there on moomba. I was wondering if there exists a parts manual ( not owners manual) any help on these parts would be greatly appreciated. I will continue to post pics as the project progresses.

mutau052
06-26-2010, 08:32 AM
i would get a samson tower there super nice.

brad460
06-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Did I read that right, no engine?

maxpower220
06-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Document your progress with lots of pictures. You have a blank slate and can make exactly the boat that you want. Look into the most HP motor that you can get. I gave the guys at AWS in Oregon a call and they were pretty knowldgable, try them for a parts manual. Cross check sizes, you may find a MC or Bu rudder may work.

Good Luck.

you da man
06-26-2010, 11:28 AM
When it comes to people knowing their stuff is going to repossessed they figure they may as well make some money buy selling the equipment. It makes sense but it doesn't make sense to make a large purchase cutting it that close to your budget.

jester
06-26-2010, 12:49 PM
No Engine. Someone must hate the bank. This is a good time to do it right. Have you contacted SC to see if they will send you a parts list? I look forward to see how your progress comes along.

DOCDRS
06-26-2010, 04:50 PM
no engine, did they take the tranny and vdrive as well?....I'm thinking you might find one for sale on ebay or craigs list that might just be perfect for your boat......otherwise new i bet your looking at 8-12k depending on hp.....good luck and keep us posted

Sled491
06-26-2010, 06:55 PM
I sure your local moomba dealer will help you with what ever question you have. As for the engine try going through Indmar direct, may be cheaper. I know one member was quoted 6k for a motor for a 2008 LS.

How did you find that boat, your a long ways from Vegas baby!

davinci
06-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Hey gang !! I will absolutely document every step by pic, as for the samson tower i looked it up but not too crazy about the looks. Hey Brad you heard right LOL Yes the tranny is gone as well:( I will call aws first thing monday morning, especially for the parts manual. Hi Sled I googled xlv and found it by fluke, a car dealer there bought it at an auction. Thanks a million for all the replies.

Sled491
06-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Sometimes a fluke is the only way. Good luck with your project.

loudsubz
06-26-2010, 09:25 PM
how much did you pay?

davinci
06-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks Mike...but that's my driveway in the pic (very exited) I met the transporter in New York.

davinci
07-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Ok so the motor and tranny are on the way, i've attached some pics of the engine compartment and was wondering if anybody has any tips or things i should do or prepare before i drop the engine in. I'm sure there are alot of things that won't be easy to get to later.The rudder and lever are also on the way.

MartinCaron
07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
omg that is huge project... good luck

brad460
07-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Wow, definetly no engine! lol

I can't offer much advice as I am new to the V-drives (but I have replaced an engine on a bowrider). Do you have the engine mounts and related hardware?

Clean and restore everything in that engine bay and study up on the alignment procedure. Have you gotten a repair manual? Or parts book?

Well, it looks like a fun project, I would love doing something like what your doing! I'll be looking forward to your progress.

jmvotto
07-25-2010, 10:54 PM
wow, huge project.... can't wait to see the progress. finally got to see where the ballst drain pumps are mounted...

good luck,

i assume you are on the east coast since you took delivery in NY..

DOCDRS
07-25-2010, 11:08 PM
looks like ya need the muffler and a rudder as well but ya prob have that coming as well , i'd look at the g111 ballast upgrade projects on here .

Aquaholic
07-26-2010, 09:13 AM
I would suggest regluing your transducer. Most of us have --- on the depth gauge after a while. Once the the glue get air under it, it stops giving depth information.

Check the steering by turning the wheel to see if its steers free and easy. If its stiff in anyway water has rusted in the housing and will need replacing.

If it were me I'd think about upgrading the ballast system to one of tsumani project seen here on the forum.

greatlakeskipper.com has a lot of moomba and supra parts. You might check them out if you still need items. I know I saw a SC tower awhile back. Xtp in maryville can help with the tower I'd call them direct.

Aqua

davinci
07-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi Aqua thanks for the info, can you be a little more specific on the transducer and where to apply the glue exactly...Thanks

David Davidson
07-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I tried to contact the people about this boat a while back but never got any response. Looks like a fun project. Good luck and I hope you keep us posted on any progress!

Aquaholic
07-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I think the glue is 3m 4200. Your transducer puck is in the 4th picture, it looks like a hockey puck!!! Its got white glue smeered around it. Pull on the puck, not the wire and see if its adhered well.

If it comes up, get a tube of 3m 4200. Scrap the area clean and wipe it with Acetone. Clean the puck with a flat razor knife, the kind that you'd use to get a sticker off a window. Put the glue on the puck, dont have any air pockets or bubbles in the glue.

Press the puck to the same area that you removed it from. Press the glue out and let it dry.

jmvotto
07-26-2010, 03:22 PM
well theres your problem. ye aint got uh motor

what the Heck kinda of username is that.

jonyb dat u

sandm
07-26-2010, 03:34 PM
what the Heck kinda of username is that.

one that won't be around long :)

Sled491
07-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Make sure you study up on the alignment process, that's where your project will live or die.

davinci
07-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi Sled , are you talking about the shaft ??

Sled491
07-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Motor to shaft alignment. Very very important with tow boats. If the motor and shaft aren't aligned you will reduce bushing life or even worse end up with failure in the shaft.

davinci
07-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks Sled I just read the entire how-to earlier post from 04Outback and very well written info I might add. Here is the link
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10834&highlight=shaft+alignment

cab13367
07-27-2010, 03:51 PM
wow, huge project.... can't wait to see the progress. finally got to see where the ballst drain pumps are mounted...

Interesting the way they mounted the drain pumps on the XLV. Note that the inlet to the pump is at about the same elevation as the outlet of the bag. In my opinion, this is not ideal. If you want to get the most water out of the bag as possible, you should mount the pumps in such a way that the inlet to the drain pump is below the level of the bag. On my LSV, the drain pump is mounted horizontally and to the side of the engine compartment, not on the transom. So water is able to flow freely down into the pump from the bag.

Al

davinci
07-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Does the LSV have the same amount of engine compartement room as the XLV ? If so why would they mount the pumps of the two models in different locations??

cab13367
07-27-2010, 03:57 PM
davinci,

Wow, you have your work cut out for you. And I can't believe someone would pull the engine out of a boat in ancticipation of it being repo'd. The things people do.

Anyway, if you ever plan to run more than the stock ballast, now would be a great time to upgrade to three 1" intakes and three Tsunami T1200 pumps. It would be a piece of cake with the engine not there. If budget does not allow, at least install the thru hulls, elbows, and shut off valves. You can install the rest later.

Also, you'll need to remount that wakeplate hydraulic fluid reservoir on the vertical divider between the engine compartment and the cabin but you probably already knew that.

I would not fool with removing and reattaching the transducer puck unless you know it's not working.

Good luck with the project!

Al

davinci
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks Cab, In was wondering if you know of some posts/pics or yourself of the thru hull system set-up , I would surely love to have it all prepared.
Now don't forget this is my first tow boat so the ballast system are also new.
I surely don't want to go through hell later with the engine in the way. Also i'm the type of guy that likes every bell and whistle available.

Sled491
07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Very cool, glad we could help steer you down the right path :)

davinci
07-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks sled, looking forward to that path (of bancruptcy) LOL :D

cab13367
07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks Cab, In was wondering if you know of some posts/pics or yourself of the thru hull system set-up , I would surely love to have it all prepared.
Now don't forget this is my first tow boat so the ballast system are also new.
I surely don't want to go through hell later with the engine in the way. Also i'm the type of guy that likes every bell and whistle available.

Suggest you call Jason at wakemakers.com. They pioneered the ballast upgrades to our boats so they are very knowledgeable on the subject.