PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing Pics

cab13367
06-26-2010, 03:36 AM
I thought my 13 year old son did a pretty good job taking these pics of me surfing today so I thought I would share. Board is my new Grind Water Shaka. Love it!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_7747.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_7745.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_7743.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_7712.jpg

you da man
06-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Would you consider this board easy enough for beginners but yet not boring like the Venture/Broadcast? My surfboard collection includes a Ronix Cortez 5'6" (supposed to be beginner...not really, it's pretty hard for a lightweight or average female weight rider), Shred Stixx Thresher (my board), and a Triple X skim style 58" composite. I've actually taught two female riders last week on the Triple X skim board for their first time and they both got up and rode on their first tries. They both tried the Ronix Cortez and both kept stuffing the nose. That Ronix board just sucks. I don't even like the Ronix Cortez, worst money I've spent on my boat.

ssmith
06-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Al, looking good. Your son did a great job. I was hoping to hear how you liked that board. I've been waiting for that one to show back up for a good price like you got yours for but no luck yet. The Slaysh popped up cheap but I'm at 190lbs and was afraid I would struggle on it. Thanks for sharing.

kaneboats
06-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Al, glad to see you putting the ballast upgrades to work and tearing it up. Saw an Outback LS with your color scheme out on the water today. Looked very good to me.

Sled491
06-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Al, great shots, really looks like your workin it :D

cab13367
06-27-2010, 02:48 AM
Would you consider this board easy enough for beginners but yet not boring like the Venture/Broadcast? My surfboard collection includes a Ronix Cortez 5'6" (supposed to be beginner...not really, it's pretty hard for a lightweight or average female weight rider), Shred Stixx Thresher (my board), and a Triple X skim style 58" composite. I've actually taught two female riders last week on the Triple X skim board for their first time and they both got up and rode on their first tries. They both tried the Ronix Cortez and both kept stuffing the nose. That Ronix board just sucks. I don't even like the Ronix Cortez, worst money I've spent on my boat.

It's doable for beginners, but it's a little twitchy. It reacts pretty fast to rider input and is fast down the line so might not be the best to learn on. Your 5'-6" board is too big for a light weight rider. They need to learn on something a lot smaller. Granted, they won't be able to freeride a smaller board the first day but at least they will be able to control it. We have a 4'-4" Hyperlite Coex that is now the beginner board for kids and light adults (i.e., women) and a CWB Ride 5'-3" as the beginner board for guys. The Shaka (5'-2" board is mine) and my son rides the React Drive 4-6" board that he literally has to stand on the back half of the board because it's too fast otherwise.

Al, looking good. Your son did a great job. I was hoping to hear how you liked that board. I've been waiting for that one to show back up for a good price like you got yours for but no luck yet. The Slaysh popped up cheap but I'm at 190lbs and was afraid I would struggle on it. Thanks for sharing.

I really like the board. Much easier to stay on the wave than my React (4'-6"). Also, it has sharp edges so it turns quick unlike my React which has rounded edges. I'm 160 lbs and feel like the 5'4" Shaka is just right.

Al, glad to see you putting the ballast upgrades to work and tearing it up. Saw an Outback LS with your color scheme out on the water today. Looked very good to me.

Thanks Kane. I have not seen one yet in my exact color combo - Sandrock/Navy.

Al, great shots, really looks like your workin it :D

Thanks sled. It's definitely a work in progress.

cab13367
06-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Here's a short vid to go along with the pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3HKsrZmN4

Tyger
06-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Very nice, Cab!

jimmobius
06-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Looking good Cab!!That's what it's all about.
Jim.

Sled491
06-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Great vid Cab. My wife watched it with me. She dirves for us and is trying to see how we can make our wake more surfable, keeping in mind we have an DD. She was very impressed with your wake. I told her you were a guy that spends a lot of time on surfing and dialing in your wake.

cab13367
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Great vid Cab. My wife watched it with me. She dirves for us and is trying to see how we can make our wake more surfable, keeping in mind we have an DD. She was very impressed with your wake. I told her you were a guy that spends a lot of time on surfing and dialing in your wake.

LOL sled! I don't actually spend all that much time surfing. I always try to both wakeboard and surf each time we go out. This trip was actually kind of a breakthrough trip in that I figured how to extend my legs and drive down the face of the wave to generate speed and be able to slash back up. I have not really surfed all that much to be honest, maybe 6-8 times a year the last three years. I'm definitely going do try and get out a lot more this summer though. As far as dialing in my wave, all I've got is a 750 in the surf side locker and the 400 in the ski locker, wakeplate all the way up, 10mph. Wife was driving plus our two kids on board. The wave actually looks kinda washed out in the vid, its usually cleaner than that.

Sled491
06-27-2010, 11:39 AM
too modest Cab, too modest. Your doing just great :)

cab13367
06-27-2010, 04:09 PM
you surf like you are from Hawaii.

LOL! Ed, coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment. I actually have been surfing like that for exactly one day. I've been seeing pics of other people wakesurfing who know what they are doing and notice that they "pump" the board to generate speed so I tried doing that and lo and behold, it works!

I've only surfed in the ocean one time and that was 15 years ago for about two hours while on vacation in Sidney, Australia. However, it was very hard to focus on sufing due to the numerous topless sheilas all around me :)

Oh, and I've never been to Hawaii but if I ever go, I am definitely going to surf. In the ocean.

Al

cab13367
06-27-2010, 09:08 PM

It's on thedailysteal.com for $250+$5 shipping. That's only $14 more than I paid.

kaneboats
06-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks Kane. I have not seen one yet in my exact color combo - Sandrock/Navy.

It's the only other one I've ever seen. Actually I've only seen pics of yours so it's the only one I've seen. I love those two colors. The sandrock is my favorite interior color and I loved my old navy O/B. Maybe I'll order my next boat and get that combo.