PDA

View Full Version : BUI's

wbarksda
06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Tell me about the seriousness of this offense? The TWRA is supposed to be out in full force this weekend on Center Hill in TN.

jester
06-25-2010, 03:27 PM
BUI's are bad and depending on the state they can take your boat and put you in jail. Best thing to do is drink when you are done boating for the day and the boat is put away.

moombadaze
06-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Basically same as a DUI is what ive heard. Just not worth it-$10,000 is what someone told me it will cost in the long term-Personally I would also loose my job, So its water to drink on the boat and Beer when we get home.

cpudoktr
06-25-2010, 03:32 PM
I always consider drinking on holiday weekends on the lake kind of like drinking on new year's eve and driving home. We keep it to a minum if any. Cheers!

Boating Under The Influence
It is unlawful to operate any sail or powered vessel while under the influence of intoxicants or drugs. Here are some important facts to consider.

Implied Consent
All persons operating a sail or powered vessel have given their implied consent to chemical tests to determine the alcohol or drug content of their blood. Failure to consent to testing is a separate offense and may result in suspension of vessel operating privileges for six months.

Presumption of Guilt
A vessel operator whose BAC tests show .08% or greater by weight, of alcohol shall constitute a violation of this statute and is presumed under the influence and his or her ability to operate a vessel is impaired.

Blood-Alcohol Test Required
Blood-alcohol content may be taken from all operators involved in an accident where death or serious injury occurred.

Penalties
Conviction for operating under the influence will result in fines of up to $2,500 on the first offense, $2,500 on the second offense and $5,000 for the third offense. A jail sentence of 11 months and 29 days may also be imposed for any conviction and operating privileges may be suspended from one to ten years. Additional federal penalties may also be charged.

wbarksda
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
It's not a holiday weekend and I'm not planning on driving while being hammered or anything but a .08 is a joke and the cops know it. Hopefully it won't be an issue but just wanted to know what people's thoughts were.

you da man
06-25-2010, 03:58 PM
BUI in Texas is classified the same as DWI as far as punishment goes. I never worry about BUI because I never drink when the sun is up anyways. Beer, heat, and sun is not a good mix. Water and/or Gatorade is all I have in my boat for myself.

Razzman
06-25-2010, 04:11 PM
It's not a holiday weekend and I'm not planning on driving while being hammered or anything but a .08 is a joke and the cops know it. Hopefully it won't be an issue but just wanted to know what people's thoughts were.

Well you may think .08 is a joke but i'll tell ya the cops don't and take it very seriously to the point where they will stop you if they even see alcohol just to check. Here it's identical to a DUI and your boat WILL be confiscated first offense and you must go to court to get it back. It's been all over the TV this morning and they warned of no tolerence all summer so take your chances if you feel lucky i guess.

The days of boating and drinking are done and it's just plain irresponsible to do so especially with others on a boat. Just ask the guy last year that killed a buddy when he started the boat and the guy was still in the water. "Officer i only had three beers. I didn't know he was there!" was his copout. It was his job to know and he failed. The courts convicted him of manslaughter in March, five years he got and he lost everything including his family, seems his wife warned him not to drink, duh.

volfo
06-25-2010, 04:21 PM
there are notices out at every marina on CH about the enforcement this weekend. They say that they will be doing "road block" style checks. I believe it is similarly bad as a DUI, either way you don't want to mess with it. After some incidents on CH 2 years ago and Old Hickory 3 years ago, both resulting in deaths, enforcement has become much more serious. Just enjoy the lake and drink later!

driven sydeways
06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
In WI the DNR can't give you one, but they can detain you till the police arrive and they will give you an OWI; the same exact OWI if you were in a car on the street.

have someone else drive if you want to drink.

jester
06-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I just pulled up what a BUI will cost you in Oregon and it will be $6,250 fine and a A misd. They could also tag you with a moving violation for BUI and that is min fine of $472. The fine's are for non accidents.

Sled491
06-26-2010, 07:00 PM
So many people on the lakes these days are terrible drivers to begin with, then add in the booze and wow what a dissaster!

sandm
06-27-2010, 11:38 AM
it's the same as a dui here. the cops at our lake realize that so many enjoy a beer while boating and rarely ever tag someone. it's mostly the young kids that tie up and party/drink that they watch out for. if you give them lip, they look for a reason.
our ramps that we pull out of are staffed from around 9am-8pm with county sheriffs that watch for people pulling out. that's where you're more likely to get tagged here. the road to the marina is 1.5 miles and 25-30mph and they really watch that as well.
I think they prefer to get you off the water as it affects your driving record where the bui might not.

Sled491
06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Kind of how it is on our lake as well. Does help to have a dock or two to tie up to to get away if you need to.

zabooda
06-27-2010, 01:07 PM
For those who have security clearances you could lose the clearance and your job. On the water, all it takes is one cell phone call from someone to have the cops visit with you.

Sled491
06-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Heck I don't even have security clearance to go into my wifes closet :D

Razzman
06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Like i said ... http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781021 Some people never learn :rolleyes:

sandm
06-28-2010, 09:10 AM
On the water, all it takes is one cell phone call from someone to have the cops visit with you.

probably the biggest downside to our lake: no cell coverage. we lose it about 4 miles from the ramp, which is absolutely amazing considering the marina launch is 11 miles from my front door and the first ramp at the dam is 5 miles.. we keep a radio handy and cops run ch. 16..

on the plus side tho... no annoying cell/texting issues while enjoying a day or camping on the lake :) I have to say I text, but nothing pisses me off more than someone that can't "be in the moment" and lose the phone for a few hours, no matter what you are doing....

wbarksda
06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Well the TWRA was not BSing this year. They had a "road block" under the bridge next to hurricane on CH. The guy was really cool with us and we had a sober driver so it wan't a big deal. They had about 12 agents and boats just waiting on folks. We knew it was coming and cleaned up the boat before we got there. When we went threw they had about 4 or 5 other boats pulled over as well.