PDA

View Full Version : white smoke at back of boat

bpederson
06-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Hello,

I had my moomba 2007 out yesterday and a white smoke was coming out of the back of the boat. The boat does not appear to be overheating (usually at 180 when I'm pulling someone).

I have had this happen once before last year where I noticed the strainer for weeds was rather full. After cleaning out the strainer, the smoke stopped. This time, the weed strainer is clean and there is still smoke. Is there another spot on the engine that could be clogged due to weeds? Any ideas?

OBV6
06-25-2010, 09:14 AM
If for some reason you impeller vanes get shredded they will collect inside the trans cooler sleeve mesh. Trans cooler is located on the outlet side (upper hose) of the raw water pump and there is a mesh plate inside the bottom of the sleeve. Normally if you don't have a strainer like you do, this is where all the crap from the water collects before it enters the block. The holes in the sleeve appear to be @ 3/16" diameter and aren't big enough to let vanes/bark/grass through so it clogs up the whole system and causes overheating issues. Easy fix, a 5/16" nut diver or std screw driver loosen the hose clamp and remove the upper hose from the bottom of the sleeve. Feel around with your finger and remove the crud. There is also a brass drain plug on the bottom of it for winterization I imagine.

gcnettl
06-27-2010, 05:00 PM
If I am on the lake and it rains and the temperature falls, then my boat will emit a small bit of white smoke from the exhaust. Its more like evaporation than anything else. So on occasion mine does that, and has always.