PDA

View Full Version : lake michigan

liquidlite
06-22-2010, 05:29 PM
anyone every drop their moomba in? i'm heading out on saturday for the first time on lake michigan in my '07 LSV. i've been itching to get some action shots with the skyline in the background.

Waynes345
06-22-2010, 10:12 PM
anyone every drop their moomba in? i'm heading out on saturday for the first time on lake michigan in my '07 LSV. i've been itching to get some action shots with the skyline in the background.

Deerfield has posted a couple times about dropping in the big lake. Here is one of them:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7432&highlight=lake+michigan

sailing217
06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Keep sight of shore. Storms kick up fast. Be safe.

phospher
06-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Deerfield,

I just read the post referenced in this thread. What lake do you go out on in Southern Wisconsin? Curious as that's where I'm from..

deerfield
06-25-2010, 12:16 AM

liquid - Lake Michigan can be a fabulous place with your boat. My boys really like it. But you got to pick a day when the wind is out of the southwest to get calm seas. If you get there, I'd sure like to hear about your experience. - Deerfield

deerfield
06-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Deerfield,

I just read the post referenced in this thread. What lake do you go out on in Southern Wisconsin? Curious as that's where I'm from..

phospher - The town of Twin Lakes is just north of Wilmot Ski Hill and the Illinois/Wisconsin state line. The twin lakes are Lake Mary and Lake Elizabeth. Our boat is on a lift in front of Pier West Restaurant on Lake Mary. I guess the drive time from Milwaukee to Twin Lakes is 45 minutes to one hour. There is a public launch for $7 and you can tie up right at the restaurant. Our black and red Outback is in the last slip at the end of the pier. - Deerfield

phospher
06-25-2010, 09:13 AM
phospher - The town of Twin Lakes is just north of Wilmot Ski Hill and the Illinois/Wisconsin state line. The twin lakes are Lake Mary and Lake Elizabeth. Our boat is on a lift in front of Pier West Restaurant on Lake Mary. I guess the drive time from Milwaukee to Twin Lakes is 45 minutes to one hour. There is a public launch for $7 and you can tie up right at the restaurant. Our black and red Outback is in the last slip at the end of the pier. - Deerfield

Well I'll be damned. So your one of the illiniasians crowding our lake :) That is my home town, born and raised and I've actually seen your boat as me and my friends go out on that lake a lot and pick people up from that pier. My buddy has a red and white 2007 supra 22ssv(graphics removed) that we go out on a lot. Another one of my friends keeps his pontoon boat at Pier West and I have friends who live on Lake Mary. If I ever see you out there I'll stop and say Hi. I know a lot of people from that area. I actually am attending a wedding at the Twin Lakes country club this weekend. I should also mention that I've been skiing at Wilmot since I was two.

deerfield
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Well I'll be damned. So your one of the illiniasians crowding our lake :) That is my home town, born and raised and I've actually seen your boat as me and my friends go out on that lake a lot and pick people up from that pier. My buddy has a red and white 2007 supra 22ssv(graphics removed) that we go out on a lot. Another one of my friends keeps his pontoon boat at Pier West and I have friends who live on Lake Mary. If I ever see you out there I'll stop and say Hi. I know a lot of people from that area. I actually am attending a wedding at the Twin Lakes country club this weekend. I should also mention that I've been skiing at Wilmot since I was two.

phospher - A small world. Yes, please do. If you spot us out in the boat, get our attention and we can meet. We will be there all day tomorrow (Sunday). Am taking off Thursday and Friday this week to create a long weekend. So, we should be up there several times between this and next weekends. Look forward to meeting you. - Deerfield

Sled491
06-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Supra Hunter spends a lot of time on the big lake as well.

kaneboats
06-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Deerfield, be sure to wear your Bears gear when you meet up with them Packer fans.

Sled491
06-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey you don't have anything better to do!!!

kaneboats
06-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Who? ME? You are the guy with no time for vacation this summer.

Sled491
06-26-2010, 11:55 PM
You got that right. I won't even get to the lake for the 4th, I'll be on a plane :(

kaneboats
06-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Me either. But I'm going for a drive on the 5th. I'll be thinking of you every day.

Sled491
06-27-2010, 12:04 AM
You know what they say, "with friends like you...." :D

You guys have a great week!

kaneboats
06-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks! Should tell you my boys are sad. They are still young enough they'd rather hang with some cool guys their age than a bunch of silly girls all week. Funny how that goes away when they hit 13 or so and doesn't come back till they get to be around 40 or take up fishing. :)

Sled491
06-27-2010, 12:13 AM
well we're going to give it the college try again next summer.

kaneboats
06-28-2010, 08:38 AM
All talk. Should I hold my breath?

Sled491
06-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Why not, I would

liquidlite
06-28-2010, 09:20 AM
So I followed through with the trip out to Lake Michigan. AMAZING. The boat handled the rough water a lot better than I initially expected. We weren't able to ride out there though. I launched in Alsip for $7 and followed the Cal Sag to the Chicago River, on into the city. The ride was very enjoyable too, especially when we hit the downtown area. It takes a little while (about 1.5hrs) but again, well worth it. We tied up to a buddies yacht in the "play pen" and partied all day. If anyone is considering the idea, I definitely recommend it.

Sled491
06-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Very Cool. As I understand it, if you get the flat water you could board for almost that long in a straight line :)

kaneboats
06-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I'd love to see pics of surfing on Lake Michigan with the skyline in the background. Let's see 'em.

deerfield
06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I'd love to see pics of surfing on Lake Michigan with the skyline in the background. Let's see 'em.

kaneboats - I don't have a surfboard (yet). Would you settle for pic of my sons wakeboarding or me skiing with Chicago skyline in the background? - Deerfield

kaneboats
06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Only if you are either eating a slice of Chicago pie or wearing your Cubs hat.

Waynes345
06-28-2010, 12:16 PM
kaneboats - I don't have a surfboard (yet). Would you settle for pic of my sons wakeboarding or me skiing with Chicago skyline in the background? - Deerfield

Careful Deerfield, the whole surf thing becomes an addiction. We've now got two boards, four bags, two pumps, another rope, and more people that want to tag along. My old OB is doing it's best to keep up and I'm clocking a ton of hours. Smiles all around though.

kaneboats
06-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha.

Happened to me.
Now we're in an LSV!

Waynes345
06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha.

Happened to me.
Now we're in an LSV!

Yeah, that's what my son was saying yesterday. Too bad he only has $300 to contribute to the V purchase fund. Hmmm, maybe if I start charging all the riders...

kaneboats
06-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Just do what I did. Take your wife's first decent real estate commission check and get yourself a new Moomba (after you pay off the old one, sell it, pay off the truck and bargain the dealer down to steal price).

Sled491
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Just do what I did. Take your wife's first decent real estate commission check and get yourself a new Moomba (after you pay off the old one, sell it, pay off the truck and bargain the dealer down to steal price).

Holy cow, what did she sell Florida?

kaneboats
06-29-2010, 12:05 PM
No. It was just a little 3/2 but with tax return and some saved up money it became possible.

Sled491
06-29-2010, 10:43 PM
You still had saved money !!! Wow :D