PDA

View Full Version : Help in a pickle

drc007
06-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Hello,

I have around 17500 to spend on a boat and I've always wanted a möbius:) . I want a boat that I won't want to upgrade in a year or two and get a new one . I need one that will last me at least 6 years. Ok here is my question what would be the best boat, year model I need to look for when I want to only wakeboard. I know the DD will be cheaper but from what I have been reading you really need a v drive to get the best wake for wakeboarding .

Salyers
06-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I have an 09 LS and we have an absolutely awsome wakeboard wake. You will lose a little bit on a surf wake but even that is not for sure. An LSV and an LS have the same hull. As for older Moomba's I am not sure but you'll get a lot of advice from the others. Lots of knowledge here and they are always eager to share:!:

Ian Brantford
06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Howdy! If you give your location, others in the area might be able to advise on prices in your local boat market. I'd guess that you'll be shopping for a model that is several years old. Moomba's manufacturer, Skier's Choice, underwent a major change of personnel in 1998-1999 and improved their design and manufacturing.

So, pretty much any Moomba from 2000 or later will be a good boat if it has been well-maintained. They way to find out if it has been well-maintained is to get a pre-purchase inspection by a marine mechanic who is experienced with the specific inboard drive system used by Moomba. Good news: it's the same Indmar system that is used by pretty much every other tournament inboard manufacturer.

Budget advice: find out how much a pre-purchase inspection will cost and assume that you'll be using that service on perhaps two boats. Deduct that from your purchase budget. Now price out some gear -- floatation vests, paddles, Spektra rope/handle, dock lines, fenders, paddles, anchor, all other required safety equipment, wakeboard(s), other water toys, ... I'll bet that even a conservative cost is over $1000. That's got to come out of your purchase budget. Oops: insurance, and the first few weeks' of fuel are there too. Sorry if these things are obvious to you, but you didn't state how much boating and boat ownership experience you have, so I'm trying to cover everything.

Here are some questions on practical limits...

1. Assuming that you plan to tow it on the trailer a bit, what is the most weight that your tow vehicle can confidently handle? Depending on the make/model, this might be significantly less than the rated capacity.

2. How many people do you expect to have on board on a popular day?

3. Will your passengers be all adults, or mixed adults/children?

4. What are the dimensions of wherever you plan to store it when it's on the trailer? Some people use garages and cannot fit the larger models.

drc007
06-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Wow I never expected this fast of responses . I am a college student and I cant afford a brand new boat, however I can get a great quality boat I believe. I don't have to worry about storage or a vehicle my family has a 3 bay door shop that has plenty of room and we also have diesel trucks. I am graduating from college in may with a bachelors degree in pre vet med and I also apply to vet school in the fall. Ok well enough about me . I want to get the boat by myself for the most part and I have approx 20 red angus cows that I have that have allowed me to save up some money since high school from selling their calves. For the equipment part I currently have a old invader tri hull outboard that was passed down from my dad that we currently wakeboard on :( the wake is tiny even compared to a jet skis (haha) . So I have all the equipment needed for boating . Including 3 boards , 3 ropes, and countless lifejackets. Now for the pre purchase issue. My girlfriends step dad is a boat mechanic and he should be able to help me there. I don't plan on purchasing the boat till around Christmas when maybe I can get a slightly better deal.

Ok now for the boats. I want a mobius so bad. Everytime we go to the lake I see a mobius at a house and it's beautiful. I know I prob won't be able to get a lsv for sure. :( and I found. 1999 mobius for 14500 buy after reading post about the hull design vs the outbacks I'm not convinced the boats for me. I want to be able to weigh the boat down and it throw a big wake ( one I won't be searching for a bigger one in a few years). All that said I've looked at Sanger, supra sunsports older 1988, correct craft super sport nautiques. The sangers and super sport nautiques have v drives that cpiuld possible be in my price range but I still want a mobius.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is what would be the best moomba in my price range that would produce the best wake?

One again thanks for any help.

Frenchy
06-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I just went through the same thing. Ended up with a 2003 DD Mobius w/ 300 hours on it. We are really pleased with the boat. We found it on Craigslist for $20,000 and were able to negotiate from there. We looked at several around that price range and most are willing to negotiate $2-3K if its been on the market for a while.

Good luck with the search!

drc007
06-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow this is great news. On the 2003 dd möbius how is the wake. Also is there any room for any hidden ballast. I would really love a möbius and I think I can get one in that range.

Moseley618
06-22-2010, 08:26 PM
I picked up my 04 Mobius LSV with 94hrs for $20,000 with the dual axle trailer and gravity III balist the wake is sick. I looked for a long time before I bought and this was the best deal I have ever seen. I don't think the guy knew what he had. As far as the wake any inboard can be weighted to throw a decent wake, is it the best, no but good enough. Keep looking you will find something.

Moseley618
06-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Check this out it seems loaded up. https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11728

drc007
06-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Mosley ,
thanks that seems like a great boat. However , I thought the outback was more of a ski boat and not a wakeboard boat. Is this correct? Also I thought the 1999 - 2003 had shallow hulls that wAn ideal for wakeboading but were great for saloming. Can someone clear this up for me ? What is te earliest model moomba that would be good for wakeboarding either dd or vd? Thanks

pickle311
06-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Well, it looks like your question has been answered so you don't need me anymore.

Moseley618
06-24-2010, 05:13 PM
This boat is hard loaded! It is a little more than you want to spend but it would be worth the extra payment. It would throw a super wake.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11751

Tyger
06-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Unfortunately that's a tough price range. You will definitely be able to find something, it will just take time, so it's good you are willing to wait until winter.

It's definitely a personal decision, but I would encourage you to get a V. If boarding is your thing and you get a DD, you will always wonder if you could have had a better wake. Having said that, if you find a simply amazing deal on a DD, pick it up. I know you want to keep it for 6 years, but the reason that it's much harder to find a good boat under $25K is because prices are flat at that age (it's true for a lot of types of boats, check the thread on monthly costs). A good deal will get you started and you can always sell it a couple years later and move on.

Again, be patient, keep an eye on craigslist, ebay and the paper and also sites like onlyinboards. The first two will be the easiest, but you're likely to find the best deals in the paper or local online classifieds. Early December is usually a good time to buy. Keep an eye on boats that have been for sale for awhile and go make an offer.

Craigslist is also a good place to get deals on your gear. I bought a nice spectra rope and handle, plus a flack jacket for $75 off craigslist, then sold the jacket a few days later on ebay for $40, so I got a really sweet deal on a rope. I also bought my first surf board off ebay that had been damaged in shipping. Look for anchors, bumpers, safety life jackets, etc, even boards. As long as it's decent, getting a boat board used is a great way to get started and figure out what you want for your personal board. Now til the end of summer is when you will see most of that stuff.

drc007
06-24-2010, 06:22 PM
mosely thanks for keeping me in mind. i like that boat and would love to get one like that but ive made up my mind im gonna wait till the off season to buy one so i may be more likely to find a good deal.

drc007
06-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Tyger, thanks for all the advice it looks like thats what im gonna do i really appreciate all the help everyone has offered.:D

kaneboats
06-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Don't wait too long. Northern boats, properly winterized, age more gracefully than southern boats as the season is shorter. But, the owners will winterize and put them away. It's very hard to water test on ice. If you do your homework and get ready to pounce when the right deal comes up you'll be fine. Also, tell your local dealer what you are looking for. The dealer may be able to make an "end of the season" sale of a new boat to someone if he knows there is an immediate buyer for the trade.