PDA

View Full Version : How to dock a v-drive?

jamie_abb
06-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Thoughts - instructions?

skiyaker
06-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Jamie, my suggestions speaking as a boater who has gone from novice to pretty proud of my docking ability in less than a year are
#1) spend a lot of time learning to control your boat out away from the docks. you must master the art of bumping the throttle in and out of gear so that you can do a "touch and go" when needed; many have suggested taking a marker buoy and practicing approaching it with the nose of the boat
#2) always be patient and take time to analyze the wind. the time's I've gotten in trouble was because I tried to approach the dock in a way that made things much more difficult because of the wind. The wind can be your friend at the docks if you let it. sit there for a minute and watch the wind direction before you dock it
#3) remember that your rear will swing to starboard when in reverse- so when conditions permit it you'll look like a pro when you approach the dock along starboard then reverse it to swing the boat right next to the dock
#4) have a paddle or a long pole handy to hand to somebody on the dock or hook the dock to pull you closer to the dock when needed.

check out this thread
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10569&highlight=approaching+dock

04OUTBACK
06-21-2010, 11:33 PM
I generally dock to the drivers side. head straight toward the dock at a slow controlled pace. as you near the dock, turn strong left, and as the boat starts to swing.. ease into neutral, then reverse. you'll learn to as the above post states, swing it in..
practice and patience..

jmvotto
06-21-2010, 11:47 PM
What Brad (04outback) said..
I come in at a slight angle from the passenger side maybe 30 to 45 degrees, then bump into reverse, rear end slides "right" and into the dock... easy as pie

if you lose it back out and circle around and try again... patience and practice:D

brenpire
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
All good advice for docking on the starboard side. Has anyone mastered docking on the port side? I have watched tournament drivers dock on the port side with expert precision, no ropes, paddles, bumpers or wifes to catch the dock. I asked a guy once. He told me to go forward lightly ,stear left, then reverse, repeat. like getting unstuck in the winter. Rock it into place. After the tips he gave me my success rate on the port side went from 5% to 10%.

I would also like to know how to "spin" the skiier/boarder around the boat. Does that make sense? check the link for vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDD2DDxm1g

phospher
06-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I've got my private pilots certificate and like flying, the wind is always a crucial factor. So yes, learn to use the wind to your advantage and always be thinking of it.