PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in gelcoat

diago01
06-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi, I'm new to the moomba family. This is my first boat to ever own so I am really cautious. And now I can add worried to that list. I bought the boat about 2 months ago, but have been reading the forums for sometime. It is a 2007 Moomba Mobius LSV. It had only 35 hrs on it when i bought it. Anyways, yesterday I was washing it after getting back from the river and noticed some cracks. I guess i was wondering about the warranty or how could i find out if that was even warranty work. I'm not exactly sure what happened. I have never hit anything, so im not sure what happened. I did not see the cracks there when i had first got the boat. and i did look up and down the boat for scratches and cracks and everything else. The guy that had the boat had it in storage for most of the time that he had it. Any help would be appreciated.

thesack
06-24-2010, 01:09 PM
You probably just have some cosmetic stress cracks.

Here is a brief explanation about stress cracks from Rob Loucks of Skiers Choice:

"A stress crack is cosmetic crack in the gel coat layer on top of the laminate that makes up your boat. The boat laminate is series of fiberglass materials that are combined together to make a strong and durable composite structure. This structure has properties that make it very attractive as a material for use in boats. One of the properties is the ability to absorb force. Of course when it does absorb force it has to deflect its shape. The gelcoat, being a coating on the outside of the boat, flexes with the laminate and repeated cycles or a single high energy impact can cause the gelcoat to crack.

Some areas on a boat, depending on the use, are more prone to gelcoat cracking. Tower mounts, cleats, and hand rails are all areas on any boats that you may find gel coat cracking. Gel cracks in these areas are not an indication that the laminate is damaged, merely that the boat underwent some event that created force. Some of those types of items are things like tying off to a hand rail, bumping a dock, tubing from a tower, etc."

Assuming your warranty is about like the warranty I have on my 07 Supra Launch 21V, you had a 1 year warranty on gel coat, since you bought it used the warranty is no longer there. If your cracks are actual damage to the hull, then there is a lifetime warranty on them. You will just need to take it to your dealer for them to determine if they are strictly cosmetic or structural damage. But I wouldn't worry too much about your cracks, because more then likely they are just cosmetic. I know they are annoying to see and get, but unfortunatly they happen.

phospher
06-24-2010, 02:10 PM
You probably just have some cosmetic stress cracks.

Here is a brief explanation about stress cracks from Rob Loucks of Skiers Choice:

"A stress crack is cosmetic crack in the gel coat layer on top of the laminate that makes up your boat. The boat laminate is series of fiberglass materials that are combined together to make a strong and durable composite structure. This structure has properties that make it very attractive as a material for use in boats. One of the properties is the ability to absorb force. Of course when it does absorb force it has to deflect its shape. The gelcoat, being a coating on the outside of the boat, flexes with the laminate and repeated cycles or a single high energy impact can cause the gelcoat to crack.

Some areas on a boat, depending on the use, are more prone to gelcoat cracking. Tower mounts, cleats, and hand rails are all areas on any boats that you may find gel coat cracking. Gel cracks in these areas are not an indication that the laminate is damaged, merely that the boat underwent some event that created force. Some of those types of items are things like tying off to a hand rail, bumping a dock, tubing from a tower, etc."

Assuming your warranty is about like the warranty I have on my 07 Supra Launch 21V, you had a 1 year warranty on gel coat, since you bought it used the warranty is no longer there. If your cracks are actual damage to the hull, then there is a lifetime warranty on them. You will just need to take it to your dealer for them to determine if they are strictly cosmetic or structural damage. But I wouldn't worry too much about your cracks, because more then likely they are just cosmetic. I know they are annoying to see and get, but unfortunatly they happen.

Actually, the warranty only applies to the original purchaser so your kind of screwd. But as mentioned it's only cosmetic and depending on where they are you can try and get them fixed though I hear it's very tough to match the color.

diago01
06-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Ok thanks for the info. I figured it wouldn't be covered. Well, as long as it doesn't stop me from goin out then I guess I can live with it.

phospher
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah, as long as it's minor I wouldn't worry to much about it. Enjoy your boat! If it really drives you crazy get it fixed.