PDA

View Full Version : which tower spkrs.

mmwest
06-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I hope someone can help here.I've been researching tower spkrs. for a month now and am still messed up.looks,sound,quality and easy to remove when traveling and laying tower down to store boat.Here's my debate bullet hollowpoint 770 to me look the best (chrome).wet sounds for name alone ,what about exile? are these the only ones that can be easalliy removed. their all around $1000.0 --- hlcd"S which is what i've been reading on these forums is the way to go ,i just want to make the right choice for close to $1000.0.Any help would be appreaciated

you da man
06-20-2010, 10:30 AM
You can't go wrong with Bullet, Exile (they do have some great innovation), or Wetsounds. However, I still think Wetsounds speaker cans are just too big and look a little dated. I do recommend the Wetsounds WS420 EQ when you do get your system...it's a must. I personally have the chrome Bullet HP 770's

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/seeajgo/2010_0607Gambler0014.jpg

mmwest
06-20-2010, 12:42 PM
do the bullets disconnect easy==as far as towing and storage.to me they look the best.another ques.;how are those bullet 6.5 coax for the cabin.

you da man
06-21-2010, 12:43 AM
They can disconnect fairly easily but if you want total ease of removing a tower speaker I don't anyone can touch Exile. The Bullet cabin speakers are phenomenal, couldn't be happier. They can put out alot of bass actually.

bbyquist
06-21-2010, 01:43 AM
I can have my 4 Exile XM7s off the tower in maybe 2-3 minutes, it's almost too easy. Oh yeah, they look and sound pretty badass too.

Brianinpdx
06-21-2010, 02:53 AM
MMwest -

You cant go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned. So fear not, you wont be wasting your money. One thing you should consider when shopping for a tower setup is, what type of performance do you want out of it. simply said, do you spend more time wakeboarding? Or do you do more surfing... within the Exile line you have a few choices

XM7 - our HLCD speaker will throw lots of sound out at distance. It spins on the fly so you can put sound virtually anywhere you desire. The speakers come with sox so when you take them off the boat you have something to store them in. The clamp is patented,

SXT65 - is our surf speaker. It shares the same pod as the XM7 but is built with a traditional driver that will outshine the HLCD sound quality wise, but will fall short for the wakeboarder crowd. If surfing is your thing you cant go wrong with this speaker. Best part is, that its less expensive than its big brother so you can put two pair on your tower for 1G and stay within your budget.

Hybrid setups - I've had a lot of guys asking about mixing and matching XM7's with the SXT65. And yes, this can be done. I think it will become the popular setup in the future because you can blend the sound amazingly well for all rider positions.

If you need any info on our gear, shoot me an email to [email protected] and maybe we can steer you to a retailer in your hometown for an audition.

Hope this info helps,

-Brian
Exile audio

EarmarkMarine
06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I always recommend that you stay with identical tower speakers since dis-similar speakes do not sum efficiently. After doubling the power and doubling the investment, when you combine a conventional speaker with an HLCD (which has more output and a decidedly different response curve) you're left with only the output of the loudest speaker (perhaps just one dB additional output based on a six dB inherent difference of the two).
If you try to gain balance the two with separate amplification, then you're either bridling the dominant set or overdriving the weaker set. Keep in mind that a 6dB gain difference constitutes four times the required power.
This would also hold true for similar speaker types but of different sizes.
There are exceptions. If your objective is to aim the outside speakers outside of the wake for a much wider dispersion pattern then these two sets are not going to sum their outputs down the center axis anyway. But I still recommend identical types.

David
Earmark Marine

EarmarkMarine
06-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Most speakers, including the HollowPoints, will remove with a quick-disconnect and two allen screws per speaker. When it comes to conveniece, nothing can touch the Exile as it swivels and quickly removes/reinstalls. Also, Exile has a matching in-boat coaxial to keep the identical cosmetics throughout.
The reasons to consider a 770 HollowPoint is the larger midbass driver, compact dimensions including low hang height and custom billet collars that are machined for each individual tower diameter. Its more of a custom and streamlined look. But not necessarily designed for constant removal and reinstallation.
While different offerings, and you'll have to prioritize which benefits suit you best, all of these HLCD offerings represent great products.

David
Earmark Marine

mmwest
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
thanks for all the feedback guys----.decided on the exile xm7 and the amp pushing them i already have is a clarion apx 480m ;i think it puts out 640 watts .so i think i'll be ok. thanks again

2007 Outback V
06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
thanks for all the feedback guys----.decided on the exile xm7 and the amp pushing them i already have is a clarion apx 480m ;i think it puts out 640 watts .so i think i'll be ok. thanks again

Great decision, you won't be dissapointed! Check with Brian on using the clarion to power the XM7s. I think you might want to smack them with a little more power to reach their full potentional. Is the clarion 640 watts max?

EarmarkMarine
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
The Clarion amplifier should be around 240 continuous watts per each of two speakers only in the bridged mode. That's plenty. An amplifier upgrade shouldn't be necassary unless a second pair is added.

David
Earmark Marine

2007 Outback V
06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
The Clarion amplifier should be around 240 continuous watts per each of two speakers only in the bridged mode. That's plenty. An amplifier upgrade shouldn't be necassary unless a second pair is added.

David
Earmark Marine

Good to know, thanks David. I was not familiar with that amp.

mmwest
06-23-2010, 05:18 PM
pretty sure it's 640 max.hey thats the amp i have for my four 6" cabin speakers,bought the clarion apx290m 360watt to power them four and i'm gonna put the bigger amp on the two exile's xm7's.momma says no more amp money so this will have to be good enough for a 47 year old wanna-be wake boarder.as long as i've some some decent sounding tunes i'll be ok and this should be fine.

jclevoy
06-27-2010, 11:47 PM
pretty sure it's 640 max.hey thats the amp i have for my four 6" cabin speakers,bought the clarion apx290m 360watt to power them four and i'm gonna put the bigger amp on the two exile's xm7's.momma says no more amp money so this will have to be good enough for a 47 year old wanna-be wake boarder.as long as i've some some decent sounding tunes i'll be ok and this should be fine.

You will love the Exile XM-7s. I have 4 of them, and I actually have people wakeboarding that ask me to turn them down. They are SUPER-loud. I recommend the Wetsounds WS-420 equalizer to be able to turn down the cabins when you crank the tower speakers.

BTW, the Exiles look INCREDIBLE also.

ssmith
06-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Jasons setup does BOTH look and sound amazing. If I was picking, it would be either Exiles or Wetsounds. I've never heard WS's but they have a great rep. It would be a coin toss for me and come down to $$$.

mmwest
07-23-2010, 01:41 PM
finally had the xm7's installed and you talk about sweeeet. hats off to brian over at exile a real stand up guy.. for anyone looking for tower speakers let me just say i am one of those dudes that wants to research the sh@@ out of everything and i did my fair share on these tower speakers.--with the patent swivel that holds the speaker(thats what sold me).but these puppies sound good and LOUD and CLEAR. you wont be disappointed w/these speakers! ; you can pay me later brian.

brain_rinse
07-23-2010, 06:31 PM
The exiles look nice, but I don't expect the headphone jacks inside the clamp to last more than a year. I've already heard of them shorting out inside the clamps.
This would be the first I've heard of it. Got some links to this issue? Forgive my suspicion but this was your first post.

EarmarkMarine
07-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Username,
We've carried the Exiles since inception of the XM7 and have yet to experience an issue with the jack. In fact, we've supplied several members on this forum with XM7s. I had an initial concern with this myself and inquired about it. Exile/Sampson claim to use a ProSound grade connector. This would be identical to those 1/4- inch jacks abused by roadies and musicians who constantly use and move equipment in a tough environment. So if there are any specific and legitimate cases that you are familiar with then please email me and I will pass it on. So far I've only heard of speculation from competitive companies. I would sincerely like to hear of any instances.

David
Earmark Marine

mmwest
07-24-2010, 08:41 AM
thanks i was getting a little shook up. hey david thanks for steering me in the right direction on my amps.and getting the 7" hlcd's they work great.

bbyquist
07-24-2010, 09:25 AM
I can get enough of my XM7s. I've never had a compaint about them not being loud enough :D

EarmarkMarine
07-24-2010, 10:42 AM
MMWest,
You're very welcome. Feel free to contact me with any tuning issues as this is an area that can make a big difference especially with HLCDs.

David
Earmark Marine

Brianinpdx
07-24-2010, 11:35 AM
As usual, David has it right with regard to the build of the XM7's. For those that do not know, the jack that username is asking about is built for Exile by a company called Switchcraft. They are the king of pro-audio connectors and are generally find in the upscale pro-audio amplifiers and speaker chassis musicians utilize.

The second thing I'd share is that this is the very thing that is patented on our speaker. To obtain a USA patent, the device has to be certified by both ME and IEE engineers to function properly before a patent examiner will even consider the data.

Fact is, our competitors are worried. We have a better mouse trap so to speak. It's really rather funny to me that I "hear" so much chatter out in the field ---this rep told me that, or this factory guy told me this. Trust me, I've heard some ridiculous things lately. I just chalk it up to "tiny mind syndrome". My advice is talk to guys running the gear. Maybe I'll start a rumor that Exile bought Ford motors! errrrrr? hehe

Facts are facts: Last year, we launched the XM7, this year we launched the SX65 cabin speakers and the SXT surf tower speakers and next year we have some pretty cool new gear thats being beta tested right now. My lips are sealed---muahhah. We are excited to be a company on the way up, in these rocky economic times. I suspect part of this success is because when customers have a problem with any Exile gear, we bend over backwards to accommodate them. We fully understand the importance of customer service.

I guess if, I myself where to give Exile a critique, I'd say, our errors have been in calculating the demand for this product. We have guys all over the country that have ordered XM7's and its taken longer than I'd like to fill those orders. But we will not cut corners in our supply chain to slam out some sub standard product. It's just not going to happen. When people do receive their gear, and get it on the water, It's a great thing! Which brings us full circle to this OP's thread.

thanks for the support guys,

-Brian
Exile Audio

mmwest
07-24-2010, 08:49 PM
So go buy yourself something other than the Exile XM7's,it's really not that hard to do.If you like what you buy then talk about it.

NewmbaTX
07-25-2010, 06:43 PM
WHY??? Would any want to badmouth and disrespect people they don't even know?? Especially, from what I see as a GREAT group of people with a common interest! Sure, everyone has their own opinion, but its still up to "you" to make your own decision!

BTW....The EXILE XM7"s are AWESOME!!!!! I have 4 on the tower with the Harponn amp 1K...They scream, LOUD and CLEAR...almost make your ears bleed!!

Listen to Brian from Exile, he knows what he talks....you HAVE TO have the right power to match your setup and you will NOT be disappointed.

I love my Exile setup!! Will post the build when its complete if any are interested.

kaneboats
07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
As usual, David has it right with regard to the build of the XM7's. For those that do not know, the jack that username is asking about is built for Exile by a company called Switchcraft. They are the king of pro-audio connectors and are generally find in the upscale pro-audio amplifiers and speaker chassis musicians utilize.

The second thing I'd share is that this is the very thing that is patented on our speaker. To obtain a USA patent, the device has to be certified by both ME and IEE engineers to function properly before a patent examiner will even consider the data.

Fact is, our competitors are worried. We have a better mouse trap so to speak. It's really rather funny to me that I "hear" so much chatter out in the field ---this rep told me that, or this factory guy told me this. Trust me, I've heard some ridiculous things lately. I just chalk it up to "tiny mind syndrome". My advice is talk to guys running the gear. Maybe I'll start a rumor that Exile bought Ford motors! errrrrr? hehe

Facts are facts: Last year, we launched the XM7, this year we launched the SX65 cabin speakers and the SXT surf tower speakers and next year we have some pretty cool new gear thats being beta tested right now. My lips are sealed---muahhah. We are excited to be a company on the way up, in these rocky economic times. I suspect part of this success is because when customers have a problem with any Exile gear, we bend over backwards to accommodate them. We fully understand the importance of customer service.

I guess if, I myself where to give Exile a critique, I'd say, our errors have been in calculating the demand for this product. We have guys all over the country that have ordered XM7's and its taken longer than I'd like to fill those orders. But we will not cut corners in our supply chain to slam out some sub standard product. It's just not going to happen. When people do receive their gear, and get it on the water, It's a great thing! Which brings us full circle to this OP's thread.

thanks for the support guys,

-Brian
Exile Audio

Thanks for the Exile commercial.

Brianinpdx
07-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I think this reads a bit weird now because someone deleted that one guy's post? errrr?

-Brian

graphic nature
07-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I bought some tower speakers off of ebay (polk DB651) 2 pairs......Loud and Clear!! Best $275 money can buy!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/th_IMG00044-20100701-1820.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/?action=view&current=IMG00044-20100701-1820.jpg)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/th_IMG00039-20100701-1729.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/?action=view&current=IMG00039-20100701-1729.jpg)

graphic nature
07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Of course if you want to go crazy and do something custom, check out my buddys set up....

20 - Arc Audio 6x9's (6) rear facing (6) front facing and (8) in the center.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/th_IMG_5727.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/?action=view&current=IMG_5727.jpg)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/th_IMG_5726.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/?action=view&current=IMG_5726.jpg)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/th_IMG_5722.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/?action=view&current=IMG_5722.jpg)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/th_IMG_5720.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/?action=view&current=IMG_5720.jpg)

graphic nature
07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/th_IMG_5719.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/?action=view&current=IMG_5719.jpg)

you da man
07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/th_IMG_5719.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/mi2low/?action=view&current=IMG_5719.jpg)

Damn, did you break into an Iroc-Z Camero to get those 6x9's?

Brianinpdx
07-29-2010, 02:04 AM
oh oh my.... Irock Z. I just spit my drink on my keyboard. Honestly, I bet if you disconnect half those things it would play louder. How does it sound anyway. Quite the custom job.

-Brian

kaneboats
07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I sure hope that dude can ride.

graphic nature
07-30-2010, 07:19 PM
oh oh my.... Irock Z. I just spit my drink on my keyboard. Honestly, I bet if you disconnect half those things it would play louder. How does it sound anyway. Quite the custom job.

-Brian

Its insane! Very Loud...it can honestly be heard 1/2 mile away (clearly).

c.rix
08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
i don't even wanna know how heavy that tower is now

viking
08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Holy Toledo..........this thread needs to be retitled:

Which Boat to attach to the Tower Speakers :)

sandm
08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Holy oval speakers Batman..........

hey viking, fify...

although to each his own and it would appear that the workmanship of that "box"(and I use the term very loosely) is very very good, unless you had 10 extra pairs of 6x9's laying around unused, I would certainly think that a good pair of 7-8" hlcd's would be not only cheaper and louder...

but again, to each his own...