PDA

View Full Version : questions about XLV

Jmo
07-26-2004, 11:50 PM
Looking at a new XLV and cant figure what some of the options are. What's the CE internatiol package and the water strainer, flush kit, and fresh water cooling system? Are any of these worth the extra $?

GlassCutter
07-28-2004, 10:52 PM
I'm no expert, but since no one else has responded I'll take a shot. The water strainer is a device that keeps debris from entering your ballast bags. The flush kit allows you to connect a garden hose and run the boat out of water. This helps to keep corrosion down, especially when running the boat in salt water.

The fresh water cooling is a little more involved. In a normal engine, water will be pulled in from what ever the body of water you are in (this is called "raw" water) and circulated around the engine to keep it cool. In salt water, it isn't a great idea to run this kind of system. The solution is fresh water cooling. In this system, raw water is pulled in and run through one side of a "heat exchanger". Then, there is water and antifreeze that run through the other side of the heat exchanger and then circulated around the engine, similar to the radiator in a car. That way, you don't have raw water running all around your engine.

Anyone please corrected/clarify if I'm off on any of this.

BTW, I just learned a very valuable lesson regarding raw water cooling. I've been running my 2000 Mobius V in the Chesapeake Bay (salt water) for 5 seasons without fresh water cooling. Apparently, I blew a head gasket and salt water made its way into the engine. I'm now faced with a very big repair bill. So big I'm actually trading the boat in a getting a new XLV. I've highly recommend fresh water cooling if you plan on any salt water use.

Cheers,
GlassCutter

Jmo
07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks a lot!! I appreciate your help.

patrick37
07-30-2004, 11:29 AM
I have an XLV. I don't know about the other options but the must haves are as follows;

(1) The 340 engine. - its a big boat and I can still bog the 340 down
(2) Perfect pass - I don't care what anybody else says this boat is hart to keep at your desired speed when pulling someone.
(3) Wake plate
(4) Cleats
(5) 3 bag system
(6) Heater - my wife likes it

Other than that, this is one fun machine.

Later