PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on taking gas cash?

WaterBullDawg1980
06-18-2010, 10:49 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I was just talking to my wife and she said she thinks it is absolutely absurd to take gas money from her best friend's latest gentleman friend. Or anyone for that matter. Her arguement is that we asked them to come out on our boat. Which is not always the case in reality.

I am somewhere in between in that I appreciate the consideration, as I have ALWAYS offered a driver of another boat I was spending the day on gas money. That being said, I would NEVER ask for gas money especially from any of my wifes lady friends that come out. But I must admit it is very mildly irratating that I have taken this fella out 5 different times this summer and never once has he offered a dime. Not even to pick up cold beer. This guy has 3-4 friends I have met that are boat owners, so it shouldnt be his first rodeo.

Am I turning into a grump in my old age? I'm turning 30 this year for goodness sake. :confused:

So do you guys take it and say thanks or do you decline and say thanks? Furthermore, would you say that it is more common for someone to offer gas money than not?

wolfeman131
06-18-2010, 11:08 PM
If we have invited guests out, we decline the first offer but accept if the guests persist - which most do. We have found cash in the glove box, in the cooler, & in the fridge after folks have left. Two guests asked to borrow my truck to go get ice at the local convenience store and when I got back in - SURPRISE - they had filled my truck with gas!

We've never had anyone show up empty-handed. Peeps usually bring more food & drink than we can consume.

BTW - if that dude doesn't find a way to help out with the expense associated with your toy, let him go play with himself! (Yeah, I wrote that the way it sounds in your head!)

Waynes345
06-18-2010, 11:10 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I was just talking to my wife and she said she thinks it is absolutely absurd to take gas money from her best friend's latest gentleman friend. Or anyone for that matter. Her arguement is that we asked them to come out on our boat. Which is not always the case in reality.

I am somewhere in between in that I appreciate the consideration, as I have ALWAYS offered a driver of another boat I was spending the day on gas money. That being said, I would NEVER ask for gas money especially from any of my wifes lady friends that come out. But I must admit it is very mildly irratating that I have taken this fella out 5 different times this summer and never once has he offered a dime. Not even to pick up cold beer. This guy has 3-4 friends I have met that are boat owners, so it shouldnt be his first rodeo.

Am I turning into a grump in my old age? I'm turning 30 this year for goodness sake. :confused:

So do you guys take it and say thanks or do you decline and say thanks? Furthermore, would you say that it is more common for someone to offer gas money than not?

That's just rude. Even if you don't take it, the offer should be made. Any guest should know enough to bring refreshments or offer to pay for gas, or both. I'd put up with that once, question the second time and there wouldn't be a third. Good luck with that.

phospher
06-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Personally, I would never ask nor accept any money from my friends or anyone else I invite on my boat. However, I do like it when people at least offer or bring some drinks. Luckily our friends rarely if ever come empty handed. So yeah, I guess I agree with your wife, it's "absurd". Gas does get expensive but it's just another expense of owning a boat. Now, if you really need the cash then it might be different...

Razzman
06-19-2010, 12:37 AM
If i invite someone I don't accept money unless they persist. If they ask to go out then i'll tell them donations are appreciated. I don't take it personally if non-boating guests don't know the ettiquete, after all how would they? Most will usually offer except for the oblivious ones. So i honestly don't consider that rude.

BensonWdby
06-19-2010, 01:21 AM
Here are my thoughts. I never expect money from someone I ask to come out boating. If they offer, I decline twice, and accept on the third attempt. What is really tough is when you accept and then they ask 'How much??'

Think about it. We typically go through maybe 6 gallons per hour. If you do not include drive time to your site, which can be substantial on some lakes, and just look at stick time per person, a typical skier may go through a half hour worth of gas. So we are talking 3 gallons. Unless you are buying marina gas, should be less than $10.

If you asked the couple over for dinner and drinks.
You might say 'Bring over some steaks and we can BBQ.', OR 'My bar is not well stocked so you might want to bring over your favorite..'.
Would you say - 'We are having steak so bring cash.'

If no stipulation is made during the invite, results can vary. But $10 is barely more than a drink at club these days. Is it worth the anxiety? In all honesty, if the guys is being brought along as a friend-of-a-girlfriend, then the girlfriend is more liable than the guy.

If the shoe is on the other foot, I would always volunteer money or gas if I were the guy. But I know some people who get offended if you offer money.

I would say - OK to be a little annoyed, but don't let it bug you. Unless the guys is burning through $30 worth of gas...

kaneboats
06-19-2010, 02:16 AM
I think if you invite people out it's on you. Most people with any kind of class or sense will find a way to contribute something. But, the "regular riders" who jump in the truck, jump in the boat and don't contribute are the ones that need to get bumped off the phone list.

Andy L
06-19-2010, 08:00 AM
I do not yet own my own boat, I consider myself super lucky to spend the day on a friends boat, and I always give them gas money! I would not feel right not giving them some, as I know the cost of gas can be very very expensive.

Andy L

graybmg
06-19-2010, 08:14 AM
I got my monthly invoice from my dry-dock marina last week ... $400!!! And that is only the gas portion. $120 for storage. I give first-timers a free ride. I say to get them addicted. After that my riders regularly give me cash for gas. And I gladly accept it. Where else could you go and have so much fun for $10 a person? $400 a month to teach new skiers, pull others for miles on end is stiff. If I were richer I'd do it for free.

cbboarder
06-19-2010, 08:23 AM
As a newer boat and lakehouse owner, I might not be up to speed on the gas etiquette issue but this is how I handle it. Typically, we have friends and family up for the weekend and i'll assume i'm paying but accept if they offer. If they don't offer, they might not be invited back especially if they see me forking out $100.00 for gas.

For instance,this weekend one of my best friends and his family drove in from Mobile, AL for a 5-day weekend at the lake. They insisted on paying for the first 40 gallons of gas and the groceries for the weekend. Great minds think a like.

Hootreville
06-19-2010, 08:27 AM
I completely agree with Ed. I don't take money from anyone. However it is nice that most people offer. I enjoy seeing someone get up for the first time on a ski or wakeboard behind my boat. I tell them that I would be using it whether they were with me or not, and I would be spending the money either way. Most people understand and will stop trying to give me money.

ian ashton
06-19-2010, 08:39 AM
I think its a nice gesture, and certainly appreciated when offered, but I don't really judge the person based on if they offer gas money or not. Most of the time I'm sending out mass text messages to find a third (everyone wants to go out on weekends, but try finding a 3rd on a Tuesday thats overcast and 60 degrees, lol)

I've often had friends show up with food, beer, even a gas can full of gas - which is always nice for sure. Its definately the thought that counts.

In the grand scheme of things, gas is cheap, and I bought the boat for fun - I'd be burning the gas anyway, so why not have other people around to enjoy it with me!

moombadaze
06-19-2010, 09:09 AM
I have helped fill others tanks with out them knowing at the time, Ive had others stuff a 2 twenty's in my pocket and take off in a all out sprint down the dock so that I could not refuse---that person will ALWAYS be welcome on my boat anytime. I have also had some who spent the summer with us most weekends and never chip in-hate to say but that got old and for some reason they havent been around the last 2 summers, oh and we would never see them in the winters:rolleyes:

patrick232
06-19-2010, 09:25 AM
As a newer boat and lakehouse owner, I might not be up to speed on the gas etiquette issue but this is how I handle it. Typically, we have friends and family up for the weekend and i'll assume i'm paying but accept if they offer. If they don't offer, they might not be invited back especially if they see me forking out $100.00 for gas.

For instance,this weekend one of my best friends and his family drove in from Mobile, AL for a 5-day weekend at the lake. They insisted on paying for the first 40 gallons of gas and the groceries for the weekend. Great minds think a like.

I could not have said it better. The ones that get repeat invites are the ones that bring packed coolers and ice, or pickup the tab at the marina without even asking.
The other pet peeve is when we are done for the day and they sprint to the car without helping store the toys and wipe down the boat. They only get one chance at that.

viking
06-19-2010, 10:08 AM

Amen to that! At least offer or you probably won't be invited again :)

jeffrogge
06-19-2010, 10:46 AM
I never pay for food or beer, not because I am not willing but my friends and family always hook it up and often pitch in for gas. This is really a non issue. My other buddy pulls his huge RV to the lake a lot and that makes it super nice, it has a washer and dryer which is super handy. Every once in a while we have someone from out of our crew that you can tell is only there for the toys, but before I owned a boat I had no idea how much they cost on the day to day. Buy as said before I didn't buy the boat to make money from it.

you da man
06-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I have a few regulars on the boat and they offer to chip in on the gas. However, if we just go out for a 2-3hr evening session I don't except it because we dont burn that much gas.

WaterBullDawg1980
06-19-2010, 11:15 AM
So to give a bit more insight, this guy has not been offering a dime for anything. I even supply the cold beer most times.

Again, its not the money that bothers me, but just the lack of common courtesy that is bothering me. I guess to me it just seems common knowledge to offer something. Heck, even if it was simply a burger when we stopped on the lake to eat. I have a buddy who sold his 2004 TE Nautique 211 2 summers ago and his first time out with me he put $40 for gas without even telling me. When he comes out again, there is not a chance I would accept a dollar from him. I know he'll end up buying beer/food in the future, but with his initial courtesy I consider him paid up for life on gas.

It just seems like even if we don't accept it, an offer is simply a nice gesture. Especially after your 4-5th trip with ZERO offers. Its becoming more apparent to me that I simply do not like this fella and that may be the real reason as this hasnt come up before. Ah well......

But at the end of the day, I like people coming out and making sure they enjoy themselves as well. Thats the great part about this whole boating life. Its really a win-win even if you have to take out the occasional free-loader. Haha :cool:

Speaking of that.....I need to get my stuff packed up and get up to the lake.

you da man
06-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Some say you don't take money from the ladies but in my case the ladies on my boat do more surfing/wakeboarding then the guys. Hell, a couple of them don't own a boat but have invested money in their own wakeboard and fancy life jackets because they are on my boat so much. They offer every other time and I'm sure if my boat could smile it would after watching them wipe it down.

BRANDNIRON8971
06-19-2010, 12:28 PM
If you didn"t even bring your own beer, you'd be very hydrated that day, cause u'd be drinking water all day. Just saying

Hoopskier
06-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Donations accepted. I take the cash. I just cant afford to pay for everyone's fun all summer. I don't ask/require gas money though. I like if someone gives a few dollars, less than 5, maybe everyother or every 3rd time. Usually if one person gives cash when others are around, the remaining people feal obligated. No one wants to be a bad tipper. Even if my regular boat crew pitches in what I like to see, it will only cover 3/4 the fuel cost.

you da man
06-19-2010, 12:38 PM
I think most people would at least offer if they see how much upkeep it is to keep a boat in great shape. You don't hear very often about friends helping you wax the boat and clean the vinyl, carpet, and apply UV protection on the interior.

brad460
06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
There is a couple we always take boating and they always throw us 20 or 30 bucks for gas and I always take it. I don't expect it, but I do appreciate it. It is a win win for both of us. They don't have to buy a boat and we get great company and a little gas money.

I think if you are spending all day on someones boat and you are a mature adult you should offer that person gas money. I have taken out people who rode in the boat all day, used the wakeboards..etc..and didn't offer anything, they don't come boating anymore!

After taking the money we head straight to the gas station and put that amount in the boat.

jimlsv
06-19-2010, 05:17 PM
I live on a lake so our boat gets lots of use.I never take gas money. Most of the regular riders will pay for beer etc. I take neighbors kids boarding and several of them have tried to give me money the thought was appreciated.Gas is just the cost of fun.

cbboarder
06-19-2010, 07:16 PM
My daughter always brings a friend or two with her to the lakehouse. Of course I don't expect money from them. However, at the end of the weekend everyone is cleaning the OBV inside and out before we head home. Small price to pay for geat fun.

newty
06-19-2010, 10:00 PM
They offer, I take it! Of course if its just a dinner cruise I won't, but if we burn a tank (which we usually do) I take it and thank them. Call me a meiser but we paid for everything else, Skis, wakeboards, surfboards, ropes, vests Insurance, maintenence, etc... they can throw in a $20 for an awesome day on the water. I ALWAYS make sure my guests have a great time! Thats cheap entertainment. Now that most of my friends have boats they are starting to get it. Owning a boat isn't cheap.

cab13367
06-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Same here - if they offer, I graciously accept it. Some don't know any better and I don't hold it against them and they are usually the neighbors who only come with us once or twice a year. I think some people equate it to riding with you to a ballgame or something so they don't think to offer you gas money. Now if it's someone who comes often and takes 3 or 4 turns every time and they don't chip in after several outings, then I find an opportunity to let them know in a nice way that chipping in for gas is appreciated. I think some people are afraid they may offend you if they offer gas money and some people, it just never occurs to them. Again, I don't hold it against them.

When I am invited along on someone else's boat, I always insist on chipping in and I usually make it a point to do it in front of everybody so that they are reminded to chip in or are clued in to the fact that they ought to. We boat owners have to look out for each other :)

walb0244
06-20-2010, 11:15 AM
They offer, I take it! Of course if its just a dinner cruise I won't, but if we burn a tank (which we usually do) I take it and thank them. Call me a meiser but we paid for everything else, Skis, wakeboards, surfboards, ropes, vests Insurance, maintenence, etc... they can throw in a $20 for an awesome day on the water. I ALWAYS make sure my guests have a great time! Thats cheap entertainment. Now that most of my friends have boats they are starting to get it. Owning a boat isn't cheap.

I agree. I took out a bunch of my Army buddies that I was deployed with to Iraq this past year. I invited 8 of them. I had food, drinks, and all the toys on the boat ready to be used. We were on the lake for 9 hours with the boat pretty much running the entire time. They all chipped in around 20 each. We had all meet at the gas station and while there I filled the boat up. Took 70 bucks to fill the boat up. Had 40 in pocket to cover drinks and food left. Everyone of them said they would greatly chip in 20 again for a full day on the lake. I mean where else can you go out for 9 hours and have fun, eat and drink for 20 bucks. I mean hell you go to a amusement park and it will cost you way over that and you will be in lines most the day. I was pulling 3 tubes at a time so that 3 were out getting wet and having fun. Since most them were boards. But had a few of them try kneeboarding and wakeboarding. That got them even more hooked. They all can't wait to go back out.

Tyger
06-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Gracious people will offer to chip in somehow. I will usually take gas money from people if they are insistent, unless I know they can't really afford it, then I refuse.

However, as several have mentioned, there's wiping down the boat, setting it up and putting it away. People who are always there helping fold up the bimini, throw the rope out , etc are usually the same people who are offering gas money, bringing drinks and food for everyone. People without common courtesy don't chip in and lay out on the sundeck until it's their turn. The latter ones don't get invited back out.

I think what you are looking for is some appreciation that you are doing said 'gentlemen' a favor and you're not getting that appreciation. I wouldn't like it, either.

If we go out twice a week, I easily spend $800-1000 on the boat and truck just for gas. Then there's boards, ropes and other gear, the capital cost of the boat, insurance, storage and maintenance. All told, every trip to the lake is probably costing us anywhere from $200-500. Expecting your invited guests to acknowledge you sharing your toy is totally fine, whether you ever take a single dollar or not.

Mikey
06-20-2010, 01:50 PM
If i go out with regulars they usually chip in either gas or lunch etc. First timers i will not take anything from as we are usually asking them so its just nice to see the enjoyment they get out of it.
Other boaters i will ride with usually its understood there time will come. And respectful friends that have or have had boats that are in between are usually the most understanding as they know the costs involved.
I always deny first but will take small amounts as i don't plan to make money at this at all. I/we would go anyways at my/our expense but a little appreciation does go along way and keeps people on the invite list.

skiyaker
06-20-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't think most non-boaters understand how much gas these boats can take. Last week twice when I went to the gas dock the guy at the pump said "you've already got 10 gallons" like hey I think you're about full- should have seen his face when I said "she'll take at least 30" another one said "you sure you want to keep going?" when I was at 20 gallons, and those are marina workers. I have a friend who rode pretty regularly with me last year and finally he offered 5 bucks for gas. I told him thanks but no thanks- well now this year he has his own boat and was shocked after about a week at how much it takes.

you could pull the old "oops I forgot to fill it up after our last trip, wanna go past the gas station/gas dock with me on the way out?" trick. If he sees you drop $100 in the tank he might get the picture.

jester
06-20-2010, 03:13 PM
My sister was going to make me a shirt the says "The boat does not run on thanks." Then had acceptable payments that go with Cash.

My thought is I expect to pickup the gas. People have a higher likelyhood of going out again if they offer gas money. It is really just the offer that makes the difference. I have had people that do alot of wakeboarding or surfing or tubing then as soon as we hit the boat ramp they take off and just say thanks for the day but we are now busy and have to be somewhere. Not even an offer. $10-$20 for a day on the water is well worth it in my mind.

newty
06-20-2010, 10:07 PM
one of my guests ran the boat too close to shore once and showed up at my house with a new prop - that's over the top... and he rides for free this season... it's always nice to make the offer - I do it every time...

Nice! Can you give me his number?:D
Nice to have friends with a sense of responsablility.

KG's Supra24
06-20-2010, 10:50 PM
I guess we are like most as well. We don't expect money from newcomers but have kinda come to expect money from the regulars and they chip in everytime, and not 20 to 50 bucks.

I was more like Ed G on my old boat but these wakeboats take serious gas. I'm confused how ya'll are talking about $100 for the weekend. We drop 400+ every weekend and I couldnt pull people all day without the help.

I agree with you, common courtesy would tell him to at least bring beer and at least offer to fill up the tank.

WaterBullDawg1980
06-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Gracious people will offer to chip in somehow. I will usually take gas money from people if they are insistent, unless I know they can't really afford it, then I refuse.

However, as several have mentioned, there's wiping down the boat, setting it up and putting it away. People who are always there helping fold up the bimini, throw the rope out , etc are usually the same people who are offering gas money, bringing drinks and food for everyone. People without common courtesy don't chip in and lay out on the sundeck until it's their turn. The latter ones don't get invited back out.

I think what you are looking for is some appreciation that you are doing said 'gentlemen' a favor and you're not getting that appreciation. I wouldn't like it, either.

EXACTLY! Hell, I would take a "thanks Mark for bringing us out all day" and maybe a Cold Beer on tap at the local watering hole and call it a day.

Ah well...

WaterBullDawg1980
06-20-2010, 10:53 PM
I guess we are like most as well. We don't expect money from newcomers but have kinda come to expect money from the regulars and they chip in everytime, and not 20 to 50 bucks.

I was more like Ed G on my old boat but these wakeboats take serious gas. I'm confused how ya'll are talking about $100 for the weekend. We drop 400+ every weekend and I couldnt pull people all day without the help.

I agree with you, common courtesy would tell him to at least bring beer and at least offer to fill up the tank.

I was wondering the same thing! I do alright, but I wouldnt be up for spending $1,600-$2,000 a month just to tow some buddies with zero help.

WaterBullDawg1980
06-20-2010, 10:56 PM
If i go out with regulars they usually chip in either gas or lunch etc. First timers i will not take anything from as we are usually asking them so its just nice to see the enjoyment they get out of it.

Yep, this is about the way I feel to a T.
:cool:

WaterBullDawg1980
06-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I don't think most non-boaters understand how much gas these boats can take. Last week twice when I went to the gas dock the guy at the pump said "you've already got 10 gallons" like hey I think you're about full- should have seen his face when I said "she'll take at least 30" another one said "you sure you want to keep going?" when I was at 20 gallons, and those are marina workers. I have a friend who rode pretty regularly with me last year and finally he offered 5 bucks for gas. I told him thanks but no thanks- well now this year he has his own boat and was shocked after about a week at how much it takes.

you could pull the old "oops I forgot to fill it up after our last trip, wanna go past the gas station/gas dock with me on the way out?" trick. If he sees you drop $100 in the tank he might get the picture.

Thats a good idea. This guy usually is really wanting to hit the road by the time we are pulling out. Listen to this, come to think of it he is generally pulling his truck out and waiving goodbye right after I have pulled the boat off of the ramp and am stopping to wipe down. HAHA!

sandm
06-21-2010, 07:39 AM
I've said it before. first place I stop on the way to the lake is the gas station, especially when taking new peeps. gives them an idea on how much the boating really cost. I haven't ever asked for gas money, and it's amazing how many will offer once they see the costs. usually it's a wow, that much :)

That being said, many mention that they are going to the lake anyways to burn gas so what's the difference in more coming along? my and others' ride time. if you go along, granted the boat is burning gas, but I'd rather be spending my hard earned cash towing my arse around the lake. if you want to just booze cruize, fine, I don't expect anything, but if you want a tow, you should offer up cash and I have no issues taking it.

I know that I may come off sounding harsh, but the reality is that these things cost a ton of cash and I certainly don't want to shoulder all the burder for others enjoyment.

newty
06-21-2010, 08:06 AM
I do the same thing. I always fill up on the way.

saskie99
06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
If it is a 1st timer I say no thanks to gas money but if it is a regular rider who rides with us all the time I will accept some cash for gas. We have one certain friend who has spent the better part of 15 years in our boat. NOT ONE time has this person offered gas money, nor do they bring there own beer! If this person offered me money i am not sure if I could take it as the joke has been running for 15 years now and I would not want to mess with that streak for a lousy 20 bucks! hahaaha

moombabound
06-21-2010, 11:56 AM
It's a funny thing...you can buy a guy a beer and he's so appreciative. Let him consume $20+ of boat gas...well, so many folks just don't get it that these things take $ to run.
It may depend on your lot in life and charitable disposition as to whether you accept, but I think it's pathetic that somebody would not offer to contribute $ or other consideration.

phospher
06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm kind of surprised by some of these comments. When you invite your friends over for dinner you don't charge them for it do you? Maybe some of the people your inviting aren't really your friends but just more of a acquiantance who you call just to get a third. And if your friends never offer or bring anything I think you need some better friends. :D

KG's Supra24
06-21-2010, 12:47 PM
I have never asked anyone for money so I wouldnt say i "charge" them to come out on the boat. It has just pretty much become an expected gesture, at least with the people i know.

Dinner at the house doesnt cost $400 either. :)

moombabound
06-21-2010, 12:48 PM
When you invite your friends over for dinner you don't charge them for it do you?

Difference is that everyone eats; few own a boat. With friends over for dinner, there is an almost universal understanding of future reciprocation. Even then, they often offer to bring a salad, and usually show up with wine. conversely, if they're on your boat, they more than likely (tho not always) do not have a boat, thus cannot reciprocate.

sandm
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
^^ exactly. big difference in a $40 dinner at home and a boat that runs me upwards of $800/month for gas, maintenance, repairs, insurance and payments.

Salyers
06-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Most people on my boat are good friends and they always offer gas money. Even when my parents come out on the boat with us they usually fill up the Truck or the boat or sometimes both.

I never expect gas money from anyone I invite, but if they had a good time and they feel the need to offer gas money then I am happy to accept it.:)

I knew what I was getting into when I chose to buy a boat. They are defintely not cheap in any way. But it is ultimately my responsiblity to shoulder the cost...but a little bit of help never hurts!

phospher
06-21-2010, 02:16 PM
I have never asked anyone for money so I wouldnt say i "charge" them to come out on the boat. It has just pretty much become an expected gesture, at least with the people i know.

Dinner at the house doesnt cost $400 either. :)

Right, but a party could. Do you charge a cover for entrance into your party? I haven't paid to enter a house party since college. I do think moombabound brings up a good point in his post though.

exactly. big difference in a $40 dinner at home and a boat that runs me upwards of $800/month for gas, maintenance, repairs, insurance and payments.

Personally, if the 800 dollars is not in my monthly budget then I'm not taking the boat out. I will say though, I do make sacrifices to make sure that the money I want to spend in the summer on the boat/gas etc.. is there. It sure does suck having a budget, which I'm sure most of us have.

If you have the cash and can afford it I think it's a bit cheap to take the cash for gas. When I got my first boat and my wife and I weren't making nearly as much money, I would gladly accept the cash for gas but that's only cause I needed it.

I will sum it up like this, If you need the cash then by all means take it. If not, your being pretty cheap.

KG's Supra24
06-21-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't feel like its being cheap. In my situation, which we could all be referring to different situations, if I didn't get money from the regular riders I would be getting used up and down the lake. Who wouldn't want to be my friend?

We ride all day long. I don't feel like I am being cheap beacause i accept their money to ride behind the boat for a couple hours each day. Going for a cruise or going out to lay around and swim is one thing. Having 2 or 3 1 hour sessions each day is another.

Just because i am the boat owner doesnt mean i should have to front the cost of $1,000 a month in gas, let alone all the other things that come with it such as boards, ropes, etc. Hell i have boards on the boat i dont even use or need just so other can have something to ride that fits them. $1,000 a month in gas is not in my budget nor do i think it should be.

Let's say i were taking a road trip with someone from here to florida and they drove, if i didnt offer to pay for some gas, i think that would be kinda crappy.

pickle311
06-21-2010, 04:57 PM
My wife won't turn down a penny offered by anyone. She's money hungry.
My personal take on it is I invited them and I'm spending the same amount of money whether they go or not, so I don't expect anything. I do however appreciate it when someone offers up gas money and I generally don't turn it down if it's someone who got in a fair share of pulls. It does help, and I do make sure any money I get goes back in the gas tank and not lost in my wallet.

walb0244
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Difference is that everyone eats; few own a boat. With friends over for dinner, there is an almost universal understanding of future reciprocation. Even then, they often offer to bring a salad, and usually show up with wine. conversely, if they're on your boat, they more than likely (tho not always) do not have a boat, thus cannot reciprocate.

^^^^^^^Vary well put.

I will always accept the gas money. If I am pulling you around the lake then you can help chip in on gas. Especially if you are a regular. If you didn't own a truck and asked me to drive half way across the state and haul something for you then I would expect for you to pay for the gas in my truck. To me you can either help cover the gas for riding on and behind the boat all day or take on the full expense of owning a boat. I bet most people would find it better to just chip in the 10 bucks on gas compared to having all the other work and expenses.

phospher
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Just because i am the boat owner doesnt mean i should have to front the cost of $1,000 a month in gas, let alone all the other things that come with it such as boards, ropes, etc. Hell i have boards on the boat i dont even use or need just so other can have something to ride that fits them. $1,000 a month in gas is not in my budget nor do i think it should be.

Wholly crap! If I spent 1k in gas in a month I would need to take the gas money too!

jeffrogge
06-22-2010, 12:56 AM
I could care less about friends and fam. It is more like the friend of a friend of a coworker that rides every other turn all day and drinks my beer and doesn't offer anything(including libations) that annoy me.

sandm
06-22-2010, 07:43 AM
I
Hell i have boards on the boat i dont even use or need just so other can have something to ride that fits them.

second that. I have an old wakeboard and a wakesurf board that I could have sold a couple of years ago for cash, but I keep them around, and they have gotten pretty trashed up from all the noobs using them. I only keep them for others that don't have them. I certainly don't mind, but again, I also expect that if you're going, offer up some cash.

going with a couple of regular riders on friday and invited my roommate to go. he's never been with me. his parents had a boat that he boarded behind when he was younger. he immediately wanted to know how much for gas and what he should bring to drink. nice to offer and you can bet I won't turn his $$ down even though I invited him since I know he'll burn up a bunch of gas trying surfing for the first time..

jamie_abb
06-22-2010, 09:59 AM
We've had a cottage and a sucession of (better) boats over the last 6 years. We continue to invite our best friends (they have ski chalet) with immunity however a non-contributor only comes once!

Frenchy
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I appreciate it when people offer gas money and I gladly accept it. I just make sure it's not way too much. I've had great luck with guests & everbody usually throws in $10-$20. I ALWAYS do the same when we go out on other peoples boats too. It sucks to front the $100 or so it takes to go out for the day by yourself. And the way I look at it is it's cheaper than a round of golf and way more fun!
________
Suzuki GT380 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_GT380)

sandm
06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
man frenchy, you must have some spendy courses. top quality course weekend rate here walking is around $34. boat and truck eat up 2x that with minimal skiing :)

Frenchy
06-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Lol I was talking about price per person ;)
U could def spend $100 for 18 holes around here but those aren't the courses that you'll catch me on!
________
A7 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_A7)

sandm
06-22-2010, 02:31 PM
ya, I cap my round at $40 tops, and I try to walk every course I can. really pisses me off when I get to some of the fancy resort courses that force you to ride when the walk would be soooo much better...

jmvotto
06-22-2010, 02:32 PM
man frenchy, you must have some spendy courses. top quality course weekend rate here walking is around $34. boat and truck eat up 2x that with minimal skiing :)

I would hate to see what my golf membership costs per round:( now that i have a moomba nd a cottage).

We only invite the people we no and like and contributions are always welcome , beer, snacks, ice, gear etc. but no direct gas money, we usually trade off like buying for dinner with our group of friends, kind of a race to see who can get the bill first;)

MartinCaron
06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
For the record, it cost 1$ per minute to be towed by my beast. Sets of 15 or 30 mins max cause i'm not a buisness and i want to relax.

Sled491
06-26-2010, 11:36 PM
When I go to a friends place for a ski I bring a 5er of gas and dump it in while everone is getting ready. If it is on my lake with my group, well it is understood that we rotate boats and so no cash or gas is neceissary.

That being said my sister in law comes out to the house all the time. She knows what it cost to build our house and what it costs to run our boat. If she hands me a 20 for gas I take it. Other than that I have never been offered money for fuel, but again we don't have many people on our boat that aren't lake peeps to begin with.

yearround
06-27-2010, 09:41 PM
if someone offers, i usually accept, make sure to invite again and acknowledge the thought. i usually offer money to others when i ride. i occasionally go out with a meet up group, some of the people charge to go with, i don't really agree with.

sandm
06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
took my roommate for the first time on friday. I told him that he did not need to provide gas, just bring food/drink for himself. it was his first time surfing and he hadn't boarded in 3+ years. later that night we were chillin in the kitchen. he threw a $20 at me and told me that he's hooked on surfing and would pay $100 if he had it. that it was the best time he has had on the water.. of course I took the cash :)