PDA

View Full Version : Got the Moomba itch

silverski
07-26-2004, 04:17 PM
After many years of skiing I am getting close to taking the plunge for a new inboard. I have a few questions that you experts out there may be able to help me out with.

1. After reading some posts it looks like availablity may be a problem for Moomba's. Is it realistic to think I am going to pick one of the showroom floor at the end or begining of the season or is pretty much everyone odering from the factory?
2. I often ski with people that do not need the benefit of pulling from the center ski pylon. Is there a post at the rear of the boat to pull from so that I can conserve some room and leave the center pylon for when we get serious at the end of the day?
3. I have been around some Malibu's that use a wedge for wakeboarding. Skiing is primary and wakeboarding is only for when my arms get to tired so I don't really want to mess around with a balast. I don't see anything on this board that talks about a wedge. Is this something specific to Malibu?
4. I have always had used boats. This break in period doesn't sound like any fun. Minnesota summers are too short to be driving around in circles for 20 hours or whatever the period is supposed to be. Do people really do this and not pull any skiers for a considerable period of time?

Thanks for your help.

waterboy
07-26-2004, 05:20 PM
The wedge is specific to Malibu. There's a tow hook on the back for pulling tubes or recreational skiers. I'll have to check my owner's manual about the break in period...it's been a few years. Seems like it was more like 7 or 10 hours with a limited rpm range. Maybe someone else can answer that one for us. Good luck with your purchase!

Brian

Yellowmobius
07-27-2004, 08:05 AM
Where at in MN,

The dealer here in Bismarck,ND has a blue Outback (no ballast, no tower) that I am sure you could pick up for a good price. Moritz Sport & Marine.

And you can pull off the rear of the boats.

Livindadream
07-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Just as an FYI, I recently went to a Malibu weekend at Norris sponsored by No Wake Marine. Spoke with a tech guy, and while the Wedge is indeed Malibu exclusive, you can buy one and mount it(or have it mounted) on just about any inboard. I am considering it. Very expensive, but coupled with the rear sack in my Mobius it would throw a sick wake.

skidunn
08-04-2004, 12:49 AM
If you ski hard there is no way to ski from the back bar. The rope drags in the wake big time. I ski from the center and we get 4 adults as riders. The kids have to wait for the adults to ski the morning glass .But if you ski more than you wakeboard ski the boat your going to get. We skied behind the Outback but bought the LS for some other reasons and no we need to save to get the hydraulic wake plate to smooth out the wake more. But I have to admit since we bought our boat last year the kids and family can't get enough. We made 2 extra trips last year and are planning the same this year. Awesome boat for an awesome price.

--------------------------

SkiDunn
'03 Outback LS

--------------------------

11-27-2004, 07:48 PM
1) availabilty is a problem with all boats. But s deffinate testimate to popularity. You should be able to begin ordering soon, if not now.

2) You can see from the back though the pylon is designed for it. What i do is loop through the lifting rings (the eyelets that are on the BACK of the boat and loop the end to a "center pull" in the middle. This distribuites the pull to 2 locations and I figure should be less stress than sole on one spot. I used this method when I have alot of passengers and someone wants to ski.

3) The wedge is GREAT thing but 2 things. One contact Moomba and make sure it CAN work on their hull. I've thought about this myself. 2) replace the metal pins the hold the wedge down with wooden dolls. My friend has a wedge on his Malibu, hit a log, about ruined his wedge and cost him 1500 in repairs. He went to the hardware store. Bought a dozen wooden dolls for $10.00 breakes them to only be 12 inch long sections and then giggles when they sheer off from hitting anomallies in the water.

4) My dealership told me, that before THEY get the boat Moomba runs it wide open for like a full 10 mins before its shipped. They said "up to you, but you should be fine." I spent about 4 hours doing my to be safe. You're suppose to vary the speeds, but the peak speed moves up with each hour. The first hour is a KILLER (idle). The seond not much better(20 mph). But the third is fun (30mph). After this I realized the gas mileage and said "can't afford an hour at 40!!! $%^& it give me my SKI !!!!"

Good luck