PDA

View Full Version : G3 Center Ballast In Rear Locker

KG's Supra24
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Has anyone put the G3 1180 lbs playpen sac into the rear ski locker? How does it fit? I don't think it will fill completely but was wondering if it works at all. Being as long as it is, I am also wondering how much pressure it puts on the crossbar that goes across the back seats.

I plan on trying this next time I am out but was hoping someone else had tried it.

you da man
06-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Why not use an Enzo sac, it's shaped better for that compartment. I have the 1180 center sac and I don't think i would fill as much as the 1100 sacs. I've only had my 1100's for 3 weeks now and I fill mine to the point where water is coming out the vent line.

KG's Supra24
06-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I am not buying one. I already have 750's in the rear. I know someone trying to get rid of the 1180 sac and wanting the 750. I was considering trading if i knew it fit very well or would fill say 1000.

I wish i had just bought the 1100 sac.

you da man
06-18-2010, 02:10 PM
I am not buying one. I already have 750's in the rear. I know someone trying to get rid of the 1180 sac and wanting the 750. I was considering trading if i knew it fit very well or would fill say 1000.

I wish i had just bought the 1100 sac.

Would they be willing to let you try the 1180? The 1180 is a huge sac but more so in its length

KG's Supra24
06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I'll prob just pull mine out of the front and try it back there. I was just posting up to see if anyone else has tried it. I measured it out and it didnt look good. You are right, it is longer rather than taller and wider. Kind of a bummer but worth a shot as long as it doesnt push on that brace running across the back seat.

Is there room on top of your 1100 for another sac or does the 1100 fill up that compartment? Right now i am using the 750 and 2 400's that i fill up as much as i can. I try to get that ski locker as full as possible. Wish i just had the 1100 now though so i didnt have to use the extra pump.

you da man
06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I'll prob just pull mine out of the front and try it back there. I was just posting up to see if anyone else has tried it. I measured it out and it didnt look good. You are right, it is longer rather than taller and wider. Kind of a bummer but worth a shot as long as it doesnt push on that brace running across the back seat.

Is there room on top of your 1100 for another sac or does the 1100 fill up that compartment? Right now i am using the 750 and 2 400's that i fill up as much as i can. I try to get that ski locker as full as possible. Wish i just had the 1100 now though so i didnt have to use the extra pump.

The 1100's fill up everything in that compartment. Almost like a stripper coming out of a birthday cake when you open up that hatch when it's full. You'd be lucky to one life jacket in there...if that. It doesn't push the hatch up but my 1180 does push up the middle cushion of the playpen when completely filled.

KG's Supra24
06-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Interesting .. sure wish I had the 1100. Oh well I'll work with what I have for now.

Do you run 1100 in the rear and 1180 full in the front to surf?

you da man
06-18-2010, 03:23 PM
It only takes about 15 min to fill one 1100's. I have the stock Rule pump but switched out the stock valves with the Irritrol 700's which definately cut the fill time by a longshot. I also use my Tsunami 1200 external pump when we switch surf sides. With the right connections you can use the pump to drain one 1100 and connect the hose to the 1100 you want to fill. Takes about 7 min to drain/fill. I actually think that using the extenal pump is the best way to go than trying all these fancy custom ballast systems that only decrease fill time by a couple minutes. Plus, everyone is wanting faster fill times but you never see anyone trying to drain faster. What's the point in filling faster if you have to wait on your stock drain pump to empty (as in surfing applications).

you da man
06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Interesting .. sure wish I had the 1100. Oh well I'll work with what I have for now.

Do you run 1100 in the rear and 1180 full in the front to surf?

You're gonna laugh at me now. Keep in mind I usually run with a small crew, usually only 3-4 in the boat...5 on a crowded day on my boat. If I have a normal 3-4 crew I fill one 1100 surfside, 1180 in the center, 400 bow sac, and 400 sac on the floor or seat surfside. That's about 3000lbs. I'm still playing with it as I've only had the capability to run 3000lbs for the last week (just got the two 400lb sacs early this week). I ordered the Perfect Pass Stargazer so my speed will be more accurate. It's tough with an inexperienced driver for me to surf. Going to get 400lbs of steel shot bags to possibly eliminate the need for the 400lb sac on the floor/seat.

KG's Supra24
06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Thats a pretty good idea. I use a tsunami for the 400's. Hadnt thought about your idea on switching surfside. We have only done it once though.

I see all the threads about upgrading ballast but it hasnt really been an issue for me so far. We arent usually waiting on it by the time we get the board out and all that. We arent in a hurry to often :) Plus you can fill as you are going to the "spot"

You ever tried filling both 1100's to see if you could get a surf on both sides? Crossed my mind last time i was out but wasnt sure if it was possible or not.

you da man
06-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Thats a pretty good idea. I use a tsunami for the 400's. Hadnt thought about your idea on switching surfside. We have only done it once though.

I see all the threads about upgrading ballast but it hasnt really been an issue for me so far. We arent usually waiting on it by the time we get the board out and all that. We arent in a hurry to often :) Plus you can fill as you are going to the "spot"

You ever tried filling both 1100's to see if you could get a surf on both sides? Crossed my mind last time i was out but wasnt sure if it was possible or not.

Hell no, I ain't gonna try with both 1100's :p

cab13367
06-19-2010, 01:22 AM
I actually think that using the extenal pump is the best way to go than trying all these fancy custom ballast systems that only decrease fill time by a couple minutes. Plus, everyone is wanting faster fill times but you never see anyone trying to drain faster. What's the point in filling faster if you have to wait on your stock drain pump to empty (as in surfing applications).

I beg to differ. I upgraded to one 1" intake feeding the stock rule pump plus two Tsunami T800's so this is only a mild upgrade and the results are:

With the stock system, my fill times were:

- 14:55 for all three sacs (1310 lbs)
- 13:06 for just the 750 lb sac

With the upgraded system, my fill times improved to:

- 8:58 for all thee sacs (1310 lbs)
- 6:00 for just the 750 lb sac

That's more than just "a couple minutes". For my surf sac, it cut the fill time by better than half. I used to fill my surf sac with an external Tsunami 1200 with the fill hose that you throw over the side but I got tired of that real quick. I like the plumbed in, permanent solution much better.

I have not upgraded the drain (yet) side as I am usually not in a hurry to get off the lake at the end of the day, but I am in a hurry to ride.

Al

kaneboats
06-19-2010, 02:22 AM
I'm with you Al. I like integrated ballast. I want the system working right so I can do it from the driver's seat. Heck, half or at least half the reason we are in an LSV now is that Mrs. Kane hated having bags all over the floor and watching us throw pumps over the side all the time to fill surf bags in the O/B. I went out today (yesterday) without changing my Irritrol valve in. I really need to do that before I go out again as the front bag continues to fill no matter what.

you da man
06-19-2010, 04:24 AM
I beg to differ. I upgraded to one 1" intake feeding the stock rule pump plus two Tsunami T800's so this is only a mild upgrade and the results are:

With the stock system, my fill times were:

- 14:55 for all three sacs (1310 lbs)
- 13:06 for just the 750 lb sac

With the upgraded system, my fill times improved to:

- 8:58 for all thee sacs (1310 lbs)
- 6:00 for just the 750 lb sac

That's more than just "a couple minutes". For my surf sac, it cut the fill time by better than half. I used to fill my surf sac with an external Tsunami 1200 with the fill hose that you throw over the side but I got tired of that real quick. I like the plumbed in, permanent solution much better.

I have not upgraded the drain (yet) side as I am usually not in a hurry to get off the lake at the end of the day, but I am in a hurry to ride.

Al

I would probably go that route if I had 1310lbs of ballast. I fill my 1180 center sac and the 400 bow sac as soon as I launch off the trailer and leave it filled all day. After that I'm just switching from 1100 to 1100 plus 400 to 400 so the external Tsunami helps alot. To me it's not an inconvenience at all since we switch so often in my boat from reg to goofy side. I'll have the 400lbs of steel shot bags this weeks to replace the bow sac. The XLV ain't no joke to get a really good, long surf wake. My friend's LSV has a good surf wake with 750 in the v-drive and 400lb on the surf side seat.