PDA

View Full Version : Shower

drewsky
06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
So, I'm thinking of installing a shower. Is it easy? Just something to wash off the cold, and possibly wash out the hair (for the ladies) when we are remote Camping...

Anyone have any good ideas on a type? or what have you installed?

squeeg333
06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Drewsky - I'll be installing one of these probably later this year. They are awesome. I have a buddy who had one on his old boat, and it was the best. Fill up your wetsuit on those cold days with warm water, and it can't be beat.

I'm going to go with this one:
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=101-S-C

It looks to be a fairly easy install. I think the two hardest parts will be mounting the pump and the valve in an inconspicuous place.

Waynes345
06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Drewsky - I'll be installing one of these probably later this year. They are awesome. I have a buddy who had one on his old boat, and it was the best. Fill up your wetsuit on those cold days with warm water, and it can't be beat.

I'm going to go with this one:
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=101-S-C

It looks to be a fairly easy install. I think the two hardest parts will be mounting the pump and the valve in an inconspicuous place.

That's the one I have on my boat. It's awesome on cooler days and to rinse things down. Came with the boat, so I can't offer any info on install, but there is nothing fancy there so I suspect it would be relatively easy.

maxpower220
06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Much of that can be sourced at your local hardware store for a little less money. Of course, then you have to figure out how to make it work. Remember, it pulls water from the lake (river, etc) so washing of the hair is not like your shower at home.

drewsky
06-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Ohhh, don't worry, I know that... but they don't.. :) Warm water to them is a fresh clean shower.. :)

I'm kinda thinking I could source it from Home Depot now.. I mean at 300 bux to wash your hair, that's a bit much.. We rarely have a cold day here in California.. LOL

A pump works for the cold water, but how do i get hot water? tap off the engine cooling lines?

Waynes345
06-16-2010, 07:35 PM
A pump works for the cold water, but how do i get hot water? tap off the engine cooling lines?

Yep Drew, it taps off the water jacket. Then there are a couple valves to mix the cold and hot to get the right temp. If you get one, add it to your winterization checklist.

viking
06-16-2010, 11:45 PM
That's the one I have on my boat. It's awesome on cooler days and to rinse things down. Came with the boat, so I can't offer any info on install, but there is nothing fancy there so I suspect it would be relatively easy.

Wayne,
When you have time to spare, can you snap some photo's of your shower and where it's located/installed, where the shower head is at, and the cold/hot knobs. I was toying around with the idea of installing one as well as a heater in my DD to lengthen the season here. It's so damn short now I gotta do something :) Just didn't know if i have the room?

Waynes345
06-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Wayne,
When you have time to spare, can you snap some photo's of your shower and where it's located/installed, where the shower head is at, and the cold/hot knobs. I was toying around with the idea of installing one as well as a heater in my DD to lengthen the season here. It's so damn short now I gotta do something :) Just didn't know if i have the room?

I won't be back to my boat for a week and a half, but will certainly take some pics then if you still need them.

viking
06-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I won't be back to my boat for a week and a half, but will certainly take some pics then if you still need them.

Yep - no hurry at all. Haven't convinced myself I absolutely need them yet! If I do it'll be a winter or next spring upgrade anyhow. Wanted to put the bug in your ear after I read your post.
Thanks in advance.

newty
06-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm putting one in for a friend later this week. I'll snap some photos along the way.
Btw I wouldn't have a boat w/o a shower. Sandy kids and early morning showers is all I have to say.:p

newty
06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11756

Here ya go!

Big Boss
06-24-2010, 11:45 PM
I put one on my '07 OBV a couple of years ago. I bought the pump from West Marine, and all the other fittings from Lowes. I replaced one of my engine block drain plugs with a water hose quick-connect, which is my hot water source. Cold water comes off the raw intake just before the exhaust manifold hoses. These two hoses run to a Y shaped 2-into-1 fitting with a ball valve on both of the '2' sides of the fitting. The '1' side of this fitting goes to my pump which is mounted at the very back of the starboard engine/rear locker divider.

I control the water temp with the Y valve, once it's set I leave it. I used the blank 'acc' switch on my dash to run the pump.

Works great for what we need it for. It's good for a few minutes of hot water without having to run the boat.

I'll try to remember and take some photos next time I'm in the boat. It really makes those cold winter days bearable. Of course I can't really complain about Texas winters LOL