PDA

View Full Version : Tower Sway Questions!!!

mk_deuce
06-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Ive got four 8" HLCD tower speakers (heavy as hell) so I think that is probably 75% of my problem but when I am trailering the tower looks like it is really shaking side to side more than Im comfortable with. Ive checked all tower bolts and everythings seems to be tightened properly. Is this just normal due to the weight of the speakers? when I bought the boat I trailerd it 8 hours home before I installed the speakers but I dont recall the tower shake. It was shaking so bad on my way home Sat. I had to stop to tighten one of the speakers that shook and really loosened up.

ian ashton
06-16-2010, 09:54 AM
What boat do you have?

I have 2 of the 8" speakers, but regularly will have 2 wakeboards and 2 skis in the racks. I dont' trailer much, but I do notice a little bit of movement on my tower when driving in the lake. Nothing too extreme though.

mk_deuce
06-16-2010, 10:11 AM
What boat do you have?

I have 2 of the 8" speakers, but regularly will have 2 wakeboards and 2 skis in the racks. I dont' trailer much, but I do notice a little bit of movement on my tower when driving in the lake. Nothing too extreme though.

2007 LSV, I usually only have 1 board in the racks when trailering also

Razzman
06-16-2010, 12:35 PM
The LSV tower shakes, in fact all towers shake by design. If they didn't they'd break. Adding excess weight does make it worse and can be a problem depending on how much it is. Trailering with boards in the racks only adds to it besides being unsafe.

ian ashton
06-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Yea, I definately wouldn't trailer with boards in the racks.

mk_deuce
06-16-2010, 02:33 PM
From the ramp to my storage facility is only about 3 min drive & I dont get above 25mph which isnt any faster than I drive with the boards in the racks on the lake so Im not concerned with that really, other than just the extra weight they provide.

BWeber
06-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Some of that "sway" you are seeing might actually be from the trailer suspension. The torsion axles by design, allows the trailer to rock side to side translating thru your tower.

mk_deuce
06-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Some of that "sway" you are seeing might actually be from the trailer suspension. The torsion axles by design, allows the trailer to rock side to side translating thru your tower.

Ya, that makes sense. Ive got a singel axle so it would probably make it even more pronounced.

Ian Brantford
06-17-2010, 09:40 AM

I have followed my buddy while he tows his XLV with factory tower speakers. There is definitely a significant amount of tower sway. It does quite a dance.