PDA

View Full Version : Where my Texans at?

Tyger
06-14-2010, 02:50 PM
We were on Somerville Lake outside Brenham on Friday and saw a red Moomba with a couple people starting to surf for the first time.

Yesterday (Sunday), there were four Moomba's in our cove, including ours, the blue '05 LSV.

Anyone on the forum that hits up Somerville?

02Outback
06-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Haven't been to Somerville this year. I'm always at Lake Houston or San Jacinto.

sweeper2
06-14-2010, 03:32 PM
im always at somerville, been past 4 fridays, saw a black mobius in pecan lake

you da man
06-14-2010, 08:51 PM
I boat at Belton Lake in Central Texas area. On average I see about 4-5 Moombas per day. Our lake is pretty big, 29 miles from tip to tip, but true wakeboats are the minority amongst runabouts and pontoon boats.

diago01
06-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Sorry to far away that i dont make it over there. i stay at sam rayburn or the neches river. i dont see any moomba's. hardly see any wakeboats. its just me and a friend with a mastercraft x9. besides that the rest are pontoon and runabouts also.

Tyger
06-14-2010, 10:34 PM
sweeper, what is your ride? I'll keep an eye out for you.

May be back this Friday, definitely Saturday and probably Sunday.

sweeper2
06-15-2010, 05:46 PM
its a 08 white obv, therell be a bunch of 20-somethings out on it friday

TL7
06-15-2010, 06:02 PM
You Da Man,

We have relatives on Belton and will be hitting the lake the Saturday right before 4th of July. If you don't mind sharing secrets, can you shoot me an email with a few pointers of where or when I can find some smooth water?

We were last there year before last right after the flooding, so didn't get to explore too much. Just fixed my prop from when we were on Lake Dunlap two weeks ago and don't really want to have to do it again.

[email protected]

you da man
06-15-2010, 10:07 PM
You Da Man,

We have relatives on Belton and will be hitting the lake the Saturday right before 4th of July. If you don't mind sharing secrets, can you shoot me an email with a few pointers of where or when I can find some smooth water?

We were last there year before last right after the flooding, so didn't get to explore too much. Just fixed my prop from when we were on Lake Dunlap two weeks ago and don't really want to have to do it again.

[email protected]

If you want smooth water you have to get out early like around 8am and the water should be good until 11am when all the mom and pops with their "crumb snatching" kids show up in tubes or the "sea fleas" show up in force like Hells Angels. By far the best early morning water will be a place the wakeboats call "skier's alley" or just "the alley". Put in at Rogers Park and head east and follow the bend of the lake (the main body of the lake) which will turn left. You'll see a metal structure on concrete stilts, that's the water intake. Becareful about the left shoreline on the opposite side of the water intake as it's very shallow sandbar that is not marked by any bouys (you'll see the terrain of the shore which will be a gradual slope and that gradual slope continues underwater). So basically stay in the center or right of center of the lake more towards the intake. You will see a small sandy beach on your right with a couple small houses, just opposite of that is about a 2 mile long 30-40ft cliff. That is the area known as "the alley". It will be glass all morning until about 11am-noon and the cliff blocks the south wind.

AndY13
06-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Im down in Austin and out on Lake Austin, Travis, LBJ, and lake Georgetown, 3-4 times a week. Im in an all white mobius LSV feel free to say whats up or tie up if you see me out ridin or chillin.

Lake Austin is normally too busy to ride during the heat of summer unless you go up towards close to the top
Lake Travis you can normally find a good cove to ride in but its so big it takes forever to get around to all the different spots
Lake LBJ is nice if you go up towards kingsland and once you go under the double bridge in the river section its always nice
Lake Georgetown is usually too choppy to ride but its the closest to where I live and before noon and close to sunset its nice butta, I surf a lot on Gtown if I just want to get out on the water

How is lake Belton for riding? I live in the Round Rock - Georgetown area and i think lake belton would only be 30-45min away

you da man
06-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Im down in Austin and out on Lake Austin, Travis, LBJ, and lake Georgetown, 3-4 times a week. Im in an all white mobius LSV feel free to say whats up or tie up if you see me out ridin or chillin.

Lake Austin is normally too busy to ride during the heat of summer unless you go up towards close to the top
Lake Travis you can normally find a good cove to ride in but its so big it takes forever to get around to all the different spots
Lake LBJ is nice if you go up towards kingsland and once you go under the double bridge in the river section its always nice
Lake Georgetown is usually too choppy to ride but its the closest to where I live and before noon and close to sunset its nice butta, I surf a lot on Gtown if I just want to get out on the water

How is lake Belton for riding? I live in the Round Rock - Georgetown area and i think lake belton would only be 30-45min away

Lake Belton is fairly large lake and on weekdays you can always find glass somewhere. What's nice is the shape of the lake so no matter which direction the wind is blowing and if you have common sense, you can figure out where the good spots will be. The only time its bad everywhere is if the wind gets above a steady 25-30mph. Weekends it's good early up until noon. Then the sea fleas and tubers are out.

BENTLEYBOY
06-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Be there next weekend with the family in my blue 99 Outback. No go this weekend.

pickle311
06-21-2010, 10:32 AM
We are always on Lake Austin or Pedernales river. We are easy to spot, yellow and white LSV with an LSU flag flying.

Frenchy
06-21-2010, 11:51 AM
We're usually out on Medina Lake down by San Antonio in a red '03. We've seen quite a few other Moombas out there but haven't met anybody yet.
________
Yamaha YZF1000 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_YZF1000)

Big Boss
06-24-2010, 12:48 PM
We are always on Lake Austin or Pedernales river. We are easy to spot, yellow and white LSV with an LSU flag flying.

Where do you put in on the Perd? We are thinking about heading out there for the first time this weekend. I couldn't find much info on boat ramps, so we were thinking that Pace Bend would be the best place to put in. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Go Tigers!

pickle311
06-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Where do you put in on the Perd? We are thinking about heading out there for the first time this weekend. I couldn't find much info on boat ramps, so we were thinking that Pace Bend would be the best place to put in. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Go Tigers!

What part of Austin are you in? There's a ramp up north and a ramp down south. I'm on the north end so we go up to Gloster Bend Park. It's up 1431 just past Lago Vista and puts you on the north end of Travis just above the mouth of the Perd. Not much traffic at the park, nice ramp, but no boat dock. I unload and have to swim out to the boat.

Down south, put in at Camp Pedernales. It's off the road that leads into Pace Bend. When you come to the first 4 way, take a left and it brings you straight to the ramp on the Perd.

If you haven't been on the Perd before, don't go past the bend after the bridge. It's safe a little ways past the bend, but not far enough to ride. Once you get about 1/4 mile past, there's prop killing rocks under the water from what I hear. I've never met them myself nor do I care to.

Big Boss
06-24-2010, 06:55 PM
What part of Austin are you in? There's a ramp up north and a ramp down south. I'm on the north end so we go up to Gloster Bend Park. It's up 1431 just past Lago Vista and puts you on the north end of Travis just above the mouth of the Perd. Not much traffic at the park, nice ramp, but no boat dock. I unload and have to swim out to the boat.

Down south, put in at Camp Pedernales. It's off the road that leads into Pace Bend. When you come to the first 4 way, take a left and it brings you straight to the ramp on the Perd.

If you haven't been on the Perd before, don't go past the bend after the bridge. It's safe a little ways past the bend, but not far enough to ride. Once you get about 1/4 mile past, there's prop killing rocks under the water from what I hear. I've never met them myself nor do I care to.

Thanks for the info! I live in North Austin, but my boat is on 620 so we'll probably go the southern route.

How deep is the Perd on average? Is it deep enough to surf, or just wakeboard/ski?

pickle311
06-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info! I live in North Austin, but my boat is on 620 so we'll probably go the southern route.

How deep is the Perd on average? Is it deep enough to surf, or just wakeboard/ski?

When Travis is full, it's 18-25 feet. Plenty deep enough to surf

Jerden
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
I'll be on Somerville camping July 28th through the 1st. Dark Blue XLV if you see us say hi. :cool: