PDA

View Full Version : ****Depth Gage Problem****

stretch55
06-14-2010, 11:46 AM
So my depth gage just shows me this --- when I am cruising anywhere from 18mph and up. If I slow down or stop then it kick's back on. It is the factory gage. I was under the impression that it is tied into the paddle wheel? My perfect pass, temp and spedo all work fine. Has anyone expeirienced this problem before? Should I just not mess with it and just install a new one?

Tyger
06-14-2010, 03:08 PM
If you look in the manual, it says this is normal. I have the Moomba factory depth guage, but I installed it myself. I have pretty much the same issue, but it can happen at almost any speed.

It seems to worse if we are porpoising (which is fairly common). It comes and goes as it wills, even if we aren't moving.

*shrug* I've gotten used to it, but we mainly stay in a small area, so I just learn areas to avoid.

stretch55
06-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah I read in the manual that it could be a bad connection so I am going to unplug it use some connector cleaner on it and plug it back in and see if that helps.

tazz3069
06-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Is this factory installed or did you install it yourself. I had relocated mine when I redid my Ballast system. I used silicone to glue mine down. Bad idea. I removed it and cleaned off all the silicone and used 5 Min Epoxy instead. No more problems.

stretch55
06-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Is this factory installed or did you install it yourself. I had relocated mine when I redid my Ballast system. I used silicone to glue mine down. Bad idea. I removed it and cleaned off all the silicone and used 5 Min Epoxy instead. No more problems.

It is the original factory. I did not move mine. And I installed my ballast intake through hulls in the same area you did.

cab13367
06-15-2010, 10:42 PM
So my depth gage just shows me this --- when I am cruising anywhere from 18mph and up. If I slow down or stop then it kick's back on. It is the factory gage. I was under the impression that it is tied into the paddle wheel? My perfect pass, temp and spedo all work fine. Has anyone expeirienced this problem before? Should I just not mess with it and just install a new one?

stretch,

Hmm, that's a tough one. FYI, mine works all the time whether at rest or at full speed. The only time I get the "---" is if I am in water deeper than 199'.

The depth gauge is not tied into the paddle wheel. There is a transducer (a curcular hockey puck looking thing) that is epoxied to the floor of the boat in the bilge area. This is what sends and receives a signal. I don't know why it would not operate above a certain speed. The only thing I can think of is if you installed one of your thru hull intakes in front of it. In that case, the thru hull could cause enough turbulence at speed that the transducer can't transmit thru it.

Al

Ian Brantford
06-15-2010, 10:53 PM
It is the original factory. I did not move mine. And I installed my ballast intake through hulls in the same area you did.

What? Your XLV is five years old and the transducer hasn't detached from the hull by itself yet? Lucky you. Its adhesive might finally be cracking and coming loose though. If it is loose, you could try to pull it off and epoxy it down.

stretch55
06-16-2010, 11:36 PM

Tazz where did you relocate yours to??

tazz3069
06-17-2010, 08:01 AM
I have to look. I think I found a place close to center and away from the scuppers. I did use 5 min epoxy to glue it down. Now everything works great.

Tazz

stretch55
06-17-2010, 10:57 AM
I have to look. I think I found a place close to center and away from the scuppers. I did use 5 min epoxy to glue it down. Now everything works great.

Tazz

Do you remember the brand and type of epoxy you used?

phospher
06-18-2010, 10:20 AM
I've actually been pretty impressed by the depth gauge on my 08 DD. It rarely does not work.

dru1974
06-18-2010, 10:36 AM
mine works 95% of the time, but when i am given er i get the- thingy but it works pretty well, i guess if there is a scoop or somthing anywhere in front the turbulance would affect it eh? Canadian eh. anyhow what is the shalowest you run your boats, we run a small cove on a lake up here that my depth guage sais 3'. i know there is another foot of weeds though. i think the depth guage picks up the top of the weeds though.
gotta find the cleen water. we used to run our nautiques and supra's there but they were quite a bit smaller than my mob ls. is it ok to run in that low water?

2007 Outback V
06-18-2010, 02:03 PM

I had to reattach mine, bump it doing the ballast upgrade. Glued it with some silicone, why a bad idea? Considering your experience maybe I should get some epoxy?

viking
06-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Do you remember the brand and type of epoxy you used?

3m 5500 expoxy is great stuff for permanent bond above or below the water line :)

NewmbaTX
06-21-2010, 03:00 AM
I' ve heard and just read (here), that Moombas have a factory depth guage....I have an '04 Outback that I've only owned for about a month. There is a what looks like a "transducer" in the bilge under the motor, but no guage in the dash. Nothing is empty or appears missing in the dash. Did find a couple of wires under dash that are not hooked up to anything (blue).

What brand, and where is factory location for the original depth guage used? Anyone got a pic of one?

Thanks for any help.....Great Forum, learned a lot here so far!

29racer
06-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I have a new a 2010 lsv just out in it this weekend for the first time. The depth guage worked fine at all speeds and depths for the first hour or so then got the three bars across, a couple of hours later while running down the lake it started to work again only for a few minutes then did not work at all the next day. checked all connections everything looked good.
Anyone had units replaced??? or found any other problems I could check for my dealer is not close by, so if I could troubleshoot this myself would be great.
My 05' with the same setup and same depth guage worked all the time.

stretch55
06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a new a 2010 lsv just out in it this weekend for the first time. The depth guage worked fine at all speeds and depths for the first hour or so then got the three bars across, a couple of hours later while running down the lake it started to work again only for a few minutes then did not work at all the next day. checked all connections everything looked good.
Anyone had units replaced??? or found any other problems I could check for my dealer is not close by, so if I could troubleshoot this myself would be great.
My 05' with the same setup and same depth guage worked all the time.

Same problem I am having. I think that you just gotta move the transducer. That is what I am going to do. I am just waiting on some one to tell me what kind of epoxy to use....

29racer
06-22-2010, 12:10 PM
I am getting those three lines most all the time, even when sitting still do I don't think the location is the problem I am having.

2007 Outback V
06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Location of the transducer could be a problem when the boat is moving, but at times I get the 3 lines when I am sitting still? What gives? Someone have a solution for this, seems like it is affecting several of us!

stretch55
06-22-2010, 11:58 PM
So I spent a solid 20 minutes looking for a "hockey puck" transducer for my depth sounder and found nothing... I found 4 intakes, 3 for my ballast and 1 for my motor and the paddle wheel. That's it. Everyone said it is in back by the bilage pump and no luck. I looked from the back of the gas tank all the way to the back of the boat and didn't see it. Anybody got any ideas, could it be hiding? I am pretty sure I looked every where and I am pretty sure the transducer isn't that small I mean it's got to be a solid 3" in diameter.

29racer
06-24-2010, 02:12 AM
mine is located by the close to the bilge pump right behind the gas tank

jroberts
07-06-2010, 11:30 PM
My transducer came loose and slid around until it lodged under a hose, and it was tough to find as well. I had the same symptoms as many of you: it would work erratically and unpredictably. If I hit a wake just right it would work for a while and then stop.

csm
07-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I searched for my transducer yesterday after reading this thread. I have the same symptoms as everyone else. Found mine directly in the center of the v-drive compartment underneath everything. The actual material that it was glued to had broken free, so it was just moving around down there I imagine.

I dried out the v-drive area and re-attached with 5-minute epoxy, so hopefully that will clear everything up... but like everyone else says, it was super hard to find.