PDA

View Full Version : Axis A22

02Outback
06-14-2010, 12:17 AM
How new is this boat? Anybody here have one? They seem really nice but haven't found anything on price range, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Moomba - I just heard about the A22 and the pictures/videos seem like a great boat with many options.

ssmith
06-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Seems like a lotta bang for the buck. I checked them out a few weeks ago at a dealer and was amazed. I was unsure based on the pics but after personally seeing them....WOW!

The base model is around $40-$42k and the top of the line Vandall is around $50k.

02Outback
06-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Only $40k?? Dang. I might have to check this out. This boat seems really, really nice!

I was at my local dealer the other day and a 2010 Outback V is at $39k. Again I don't know too much about the Axis and I would have to see it in person, but if I had a choice between the Outback V and the A22...A22 wins hands down.

Then again, this is me coming from my 02' Outback LS.

ssmith
06-14-2010, 12:31 AM
They are nice and made by Malibu. I'm not sure what the MSRP's are but that's what I was told you could get one for. I was priced $48k on the Vandall Edition.

you da man
06-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Seems like the going rate at the dealerships is getting into the mid-50's (some list even into the 60's) on the Vandell and just under 50k for a loaded A22.

tprkolbas
06-14-2010, 10:19 AM
looked at them at the boat show a couple times now. up close, they look real cheap. interior carpets snap in. tower looks like garbage. low 40's is base. you have to option the heck out of it to make it worth while. the mobius lsv is the comparable, and the lsv is a billion times better in appearance and imo quality. i hear the axis can produce a good wake, but if you weigh down a big turd and put a propeller on it too, i suppose that would throw a big wake too.

06-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I got an XLV in 08 because I wanted the biggest bang for my Buck wakeboard boat. I love my XLV but if I were looking now,I'm pretty sure I'd be towing home an Axis A22. There are a lot of haters on this boat (even on this board) because I think it's the first boat from the Big 3 that is giving Moomba a run for it's money in the Value department.

If you notice, other then the pickle fork, the interior is just like an XLV with the playpen bow.

stretch55
06-14-2010, 11:56 AM
I got an XLV in 08 because I wanted the biggest bang for my Buck wakeboard boat. I love my XLV but if I were looking now,I'm pretty sure I'd be towing home an Axis A22. There are a lot of haters on this boat (even on this board) because I think it's the first boat from the Big 3 that is giving Moomba a run for it's money in the Value department.

If you notice, other then the pickle fork, the interior is just like an XLV with the playpen bow.

I agree with 501. I got an XLV because it is the biggest and baddest Moomba you can get. But If I didn't have an XLV then I would 100% get an A22 Vandel edition. I will agree there are some short cuts on them but the Vandel is a sick boat! I've looked at it like 4 or 5 times since AWS has had one for about 6 months (well until they sold it 2 weeks ago) and I live about 2 miles from them. There are a couple things that I din't like but I seem to find a couple things I don't like in every boat I look at. I am sure we all do. Anyway. just my 2cents..

ssmith
06-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Yep, I have def considered selling my Supra and getting the Vandall edition.

viking
06-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Where did they come from? Is it like the Moomba line for SC but for another manufacturer? Did i see someone said Malibu??

Thanks! I've seen them but don't know much about them?

stretch55
06-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Where did they come from? Is it like the Moomba line for SC but for another manufacturer? Did i see someone said Malibu??

Thanks! I've seen them but don't know much about them?

Yes, Malibu is the parent company. I think it is kind of like Supra to Moomba from Skiers Choice.

mutau052
06-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Wait till the A20 comes out next year along with the new tige 20v, the outback will really be getting some comp.

I'm waiting to buy untill these all come out in 2011, the A20 could end up being the best 20' out there, but the tige is rumored to have a pickle for also. I'm hoping the do a "murdered out" aka all black vandall edition, with some awesome ballast.

I thing the outback v is great it could just use a new tower design, bad...

Oh capitalism how we love the competitive spirt of American boat building.

jclevoy
06-14-2010, 11:40 PM
I feel pretty strongly that the A-22 will be my next boat. I wasn't to impressed with pictures, but it is a hell of a boat in person.

sandm
06-15-2010, 07:48 AM
I don't care for the look of the axis on the inside, more specifically, I want all the junk under the seats hidden. the open netting looks like a cheap pontoon boat.

I wonder if the shift to smaller boats like the 20ft outback v is going to be a trend?

Razzman
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't care for the look of the axis on the inside, more specifically, I want all the junk under the seats hidden. the open netting looks like a cheap pontoon boat.

I wonder if the shift to smaller boats like the 20ft outback v is going to be a trend?

I wasn't impressed either when i saw it at the show. It's like they forgot to finish the boat. I don't care for the the windshield either without sides. The tower is just plain ugly imo and the interior looks cheap to me, especially the MTX audio stuff. But that's how Malibu gets the boat down in price and for some it's fine i guess, until you add the options that is. $55,000 at the show and that's no bargain and definately not for me.

The 20' boat market has always been sparse, i think their just beefing it up is all since some lakes won't allow anything over 20'.

NCSUmoomba
06-16-2010, 05:10 PM
I have posted before about this boat. Personally, I love the Axis. As an architect, I value function over form, and I think this boat was designed with function as the first priority. It is designed to throw your crap into, hit it hard all day and then leave it. Not to gingerly tiptoe around on the upholstery and spending hours cleaning it at the end of the day. An engineer friend and I crawled all over it at the boat show this spring and we agreed that it is the most well designed pure wakeboat out there, if creature comforts are not your priority. There is no stupid TV screen in the dash, the wedge is a floating manual design (i.e. no power wedge to malfunction), storage comparments that let your gear dry out some after you throw them under the seat, snap in carpets that you can take out and powerwash (or just leave them out), and a bunch of ballast for a sick wake.

This also appeals to me because I don't "booze cruise." I go to the lake either early in the morning or late in the afternoon, preferably on weekdays, because I am there to ride, not socialize. I average about 80 hours on my boat per year. Most folks spend the majority of their time hanging out on their boats talking and drinking and what not, and these folks want the plush upholstery and the thick carpet. If I were them, I think I would save half my money and buy a pontoon boat instead. I know folks that have brand new Wakesetters and Super Airs, but they hardly EVER ride behind it. What a waste.

Anyway, as much as I love the Axis, it is still 5 to 10 thousand dollars more than a Mobius LSV, and I don't need a pro level wake. Plus I am still loyal to Skier's Choice, and as much as I think function should be the priority, I think the looks of the Axis could benefit from the same function based design that the rest of the boat has benefitted from. Besides, with Moomba, we get alot of function and a lot of the plush stuff, both for less money. What a deal!

sailing217
06-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I didn't like the shiny paint jobs but saw a Vandall edition that was white/grey and all the black was matte. No shiny paint made it look rugged and down to business. Like others said it's supposed to be no-frills. It's the only Axis I really would consider and I would put in on my short list. BUT when you have a very nice boat with no payment...just kicking the tires.