PDA

View Full Version : Getting Closer

Waynes345
06-13-2010, 11:53 PM
We're getting closer to having a decent wave. We are a real seat of the pants operation, but I think we're almost there. Weather was crappy this weekend, but we logged 8 hours on the clock surfing. No skiing for me while I indulge the clan. Here are a couple shots of the son (16) and daughter (13) having a ton of fun. They are bugging me for a faster board and the LF Venture isn't broken in yet. Darn it. Go ahead and say you told me so.

viking
06-14-2010, 12:11 AM
And wayne that's behind a DD right?

Waynes345
06-14-2010, 12:17 AM
And wayne that's behind a DD right?

Yep, '99 OB with no stock ballast and no PP. I picked up the bags brain_rinse was selling and we had about 900-1000 lbs of clutter in the back and surf side. we kind of look like the Beverly Hillbillies when we pull up to the gas dock, but you can imagine the fun everybody had and the stories they'll be telling tomorrow. We got up one of my buddies kids who just can't figure out skiing and he was almost slack after two days of trying. Not pretty, but what a great time.

viking
06-14-2010, 01:03 AM
Fun - that's all that matters :)
I'm going to have my first surf this year with my DD if the weather will cooperate? I've been getting it all set up for it anyway.
Thanks!

kaneboats
06-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Looks like they are really getting the hang (10) of it. :)

Waynes345
06-28-2010, 08:40 PM
We may have reached a point of diminishing returns on the ballast in our DD. The pic of my daughter is with about 1000 lbs in the back and corner. I have a 650 in the back. A 400 down the side along the dog house and then a 400 on top of those in the corner. She had a decent wave and can ride the Phase5 board we picked up from Sailing and loves it. A couple of her friends and me in the boat. In the second pic, I've got my son and four of his friends in the boat and they all were either on the dog house or sitting on the side. The kid in the shot rode our Venture once and decided he wanted to try the Phase5. Did real good for a first-timer. At times we had a real nice wave (depending on who was sitting where, very finnicky), but with too much weight in that corner, I couldn't get more than 10 mph. Wanted to try and bring the speed up and then back down to 11-10. Was running 3200 rpm and sitting at 10. Moved a couple kids up and was able to bring speed up, but then we lose that wave. Probably gonna tell me I need a four-blade prop...

p.s. Didn't take a dime from any of them. Now the next time they come back...

you da man
06-28-2010, 09:20 PM
By the looks of it seems like yall are going to want a v-drive soon if you keep surfing.

BRANDNIRON8971
06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Taking the new Venture out this weekend with the DD. Factory ballast...and a could coolers..couple big boys. Hope its enough.

Waynes345
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Taking the new Venture out this weekend with the DD. Factory ballast...and a could coolers..couple big boys. Hope its enough.

Fill those big boys up before hand and position them in the surf corner and you'll have a lot of fun. We did our first surfing with bodies only since my DD doesn't have any factory ballast in the first place.

viking
06-29-2010, 12:22 AM
I finally got to try my hand at surfing too this last weekend. Of course I couldn't ride free yet but was getting slack my first time up :)

I need to play with the weight as well. Put 750 in the back with a 400lb on the side of the motor. We had 6 peeps in the boat but 4 of them were smaller kids.
I told my wife to go about 11 miles an hour.

Nobody got any pics :(

sailing217
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Glad the kids like the Phase5. As everyone gets the hang of how to work the wave to stay in the pocket, your wave will be fine. Actually be better surfers in the long run. Ed's 'No Ballast Surfing' touches alot on small wave riding being a good thing.
Of course we all predict a V-drive with high freeboard like an XLV in your future (:
--Changing the prop for the added ballast was the best mod I ever made on my boat. Killed top end but we don't barefoot