PDA

View Full Version : First Free Ride

BWeber
06-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Went to the lake on Friday and attempted to surf for the very first time. On my 4th try I was able to free ride for about 30 seconds. For anyone considering trying surfing I highly recommend it. Once your free ride for the first time you just want to keep getting back out that. I has to be one of the greatest experiences on the water. It may not look as cool doing flips on a wakeboard but its a lot less exhausting and you can just about ride forever.

I want to thank everyone that has posted information on their wake setups, experiences and pointers, it was all very helpful when dialing things in.

My setup:
I had just received an Obrien Alias 5' board Friday. Had stock 09 LSV center locker and left rear locker full. Driver, with 3 passengers on the surfside. Wake plate 3/4 of the way down and PP set to 11.0mph.

I do have a 750 lbs FatSac that I plan to swap in the left rear, just haven't got around to it yet.

you da man
06-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Might want to try 3/4 UP on the wakeplate. Seems to be the setting for LSV's and XLV's

Waynes345
06-13-2010, 02:46 PM
BWeber - Couldn't agree more. While I have had very few chances, since I can't drive and ride at the same time, my kids and crew won't do anything else now. My son and daughter are hooked and have already advanced past our LF Venture board and are bugging me for something faster. That's after two weekends of srufing. Got a couple friends and their kids hooked now as well. I've got to play with the ballast some as I have an older OB with no wakeplate, but these guys couldn't be having more fun. We surfed for an hour in the rain today. Now if I could just get somebody to ski with me.

cab13367
06-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Went to the lake on Friday and attempted to surf for the very first time. On my 4th try I was able to free ride for about 30 seconds. For anyone considering trying surfing I highly recommend it. Once your free ride for the first time you just want to keep getting back out that. I has to be one of the greatest experiences on the water. It may not look as cool doing flips on a wakeboard but its a lot less exhausting and you can just about ride forever.

I want to thank everyone that has posted information on their wake setups, experiences and pointers, it was all very helpful when dialing things in.

My setup:
I had just received an Obrien Alias 5' board Friday. Had stock 09 LSV center locker and left rear locker full. Driver, with 3 passengers on the surfside. Wake plate 3/4 of the way down and PP set to 11.0mph.

I do have a 750 lbs FatSac that I plan to swap in the left rear, just haven't got around to it yet.

Congratulations on your first freeride. I surf with the wakeplate all the way up and 10 mph. Any faster and I think the wave gets smaller and will be harder to stay in the pocket especially since you were using stock ballast.