PDA

View Full Version : boats going over the edge

moombadaze
06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uh4gZcqT4Q&NR=1

lots of boats floating over a dam

you da man
06-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I posted a couple of those on WW.com a couple hours ago. Lake Dunlap is about 1.5hrs south of me. I spend a couple days a month on the Guadalupe River toobing down it's many rapids. Definately a treasure for us central Texans but can be a beast when the weather is bad. That dam is 41ft high.

kaneboats
06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
OMG, how do you expect me to sleep now?:(

viking
06-12-2010, 12:27 AM
What a tragedy :(
That stuff is just not right!

you da man
06-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Guess im out of the know. What it going on? Why are all those boats just floating?

Why isnt anyone out there with ropes and pulling them in LOL.

Id have my truck out there with a ropes and dragging boats on the shore lol.

12"+ of rain fell in less than 4hrs causing the Guadalupe River to go from a leisurely 535cfs to 55,000cfs in a matter of 2hrs. Lake Dunlap is just a lake created by a small hydro-electric dam built across the Guadalupe River. It's more like a big river and not a regular lake. This flash flood was not predicted and started around 8am and lasted a couple/few hrs this past Wednesday. Most of these boat owners were at work and/or did not have the flash flood warning notice in time to get their boats out of the water. Here are some grusome pics of the boats. Most of the boats on Lake Dunlap are inboard boats because of the quality of the water conditions for boarding/skiing. Also, those boats weren't just floating...they went over the 41 ft dam. You can see them disappearing in the video

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1596229&posted=1#post1596229

moombadaze
06-12-2010, 01:08 PM
that is just unreal to see some of those photos-

sandm
06-12-2010, 11:42 PM
sucks.....

Sled491
06-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Gotta make a man cry!

jmvotto
06-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Make's me sick to my stomach...

WaterBullDawg1980
06-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I cant understand how the pontoon was on that docks roof.

Just a horrible way to start the summer.

jmvotto
06-13-2010, 09:38 PM
if you look at the picture with the young males in it, it looks like the one is standing waist deep on top of the boat house.....:(

11 Outback V
03-05-2011, 09:00 AM
I have seen a sitecalled "Boatfax" it is supposed to be like "Carfax".

I dont know if they haveas big a data base as carfax but its worth a shot.
Hate to see someone get screwed.

Todd

jester
03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Dang. Just shows you Mother Nature will win in the end.

harmsway
03-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Those pics are almost unbelievable. I hate it for all those boat owners. I would bet in couple of months a lot of those boats will be on the market. Boat buyers better do there research if they are purchasing in the next few months.

rdlangston13
10-19-2011, 12:54 AM
if you look at this video, and then look at Texas now it is hard to believe it is the same place from the video

wolfeman131
10-19-2011, 08:17 AM
I was thinking the same thing when looking at your dust storm pics! Crazy extremes.

jimmobius
10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
That's really too bad. I forgot about this thread and saw something mentioned about it on another site . I did notice the moomba with the bow smashed up , makes you think about maybe another brand of boat. At the speed the river was going maybe 15 mph? the moomba must have hit the tree at that speed and dead on the point. I wonder if SK could chime in on this and get their explanation on how their product destructed like that. I have been boating quite a few years safely ( thank god) , and wondered about this if I did hit another boat head on in a narrow channel such as lake powell . Most of the time the boat speeds are around 10-15 mph but take that times 2 in a head on collision.

Jim

rdlangston13
10-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing when looking at your dust storm pics! Crazy extremes.

its not really a fair comparison becuase the dust storm pics are from Lubbock which is kind of north west Texas and very flat and dry, just below the pan handle and dust storms like this happen every 3-4 years out there. The flooding was down in south Central Texas in the New Braunfels area which is part of the hill country and is typically more humid than West Texas.

Thats the thing about Texas, it is so big we have many many different geographic regions (not sure if that is the right word). From Desert in west Texas to Pine Forest in East Texas to swamp in south east Texas to the hill country in central, TX. The rocky mountians even extend all the way down into west Texas close to El Paso. It even gets cold and regular snow fall in the panhandle regions.

KSmith
10-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I did notice the moomba with the bow smashed up , makes you think about maybe another brand of boat.

Not me. Water moving like that can easily move houses off their foundations, getting the nose busted off of an upside down boat that had already been abused as only God knows before it found the tree doesn't seem too bad really.

kaneboats
10-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Thats the thing about Texas, it is so big we have many many different geographic regions (not sure if that is the right word). From Desert in west Texas to Pine Forest in East Texas to swamp in south east Texas to the hill country in central, TX. The rocky mountians even extend all the way down into west Texas close to El Paso. It even gets cold and regular snow fall in the panhandle regions.

It's almost big enough to say different geographic regions but I think you were referring to topographic differences. We have that in FL too where it's part swamp, part beach and part Disney parking lots.

chawk610
10-20-2011, 09:56 AM
"part beach and part Disney parking lots"

Funny...

kaneboats
10-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks. I'll be here all week.

sicktc06
10-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks. I'll be here all week.
http://simplyzesty.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/06/facebook-like-buton.png