PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Ladder

walb0244
06-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Has anyone on here put a undermount ladder on their swim platform? Not everybody that I go boating with is able to jump in and out of the water with just the swim platform. I know most people that do water sports are in good shape but I still want everyone to be able to still enjoy my boat. I take my mom and grandma out on the boat at times and they have a hard time. So has anyone mounted one of these under the boat.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=191797F

http://www.savvyboater.com/p-6131-dive-n-dog-undermount-ladder.aspx

That is the one I am looking at installing. I was looking at mounting it to one side so that when you slide it out the ladder would come out the side. Like Malibu has done in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrccxP4q3Y

But I don't have the space between the flatform mounts and the edge of the platform. Unless I start modifying mounts to incorporate the ladder as well.

Does anyone see any reason I can't mount it to where it is between the swim platform mounts and slides out the back of the boat like in the picture below?

cab13367
06-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Has anyone on here put a undermount ladder on their swim platform? Not everybody that I go boating with is able to jump in and out of the water with just the swim platform. I know most people that do water sports are in good shape but I still want everyone to be able to still enjoy my boat. I take my mom and grandma out on the boat at times and they have a hard time. So has anyone mounted one of these under the boat.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=191797F

http://www.savvyboater.com/p-6131-dive-n-dog-undermount-ladder.aspx

That is the one I am looking at installing. I was looking at mounting it to one side so that when you slide it out the ladder would come out the side. Like Malibu has done in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrccxP4q3Y

But I don't have the space between the flatform mounts and the edge of the platform. Unless I start modifying mounts to incorporate the ladder as well.

Does anyone see any reason I can't mount it to where it is between the swim platform mounts and slides out the back of the boat like in the picture below?

My concern would be, is the swim platform thick enough to screw the ladder into and will there be enough screw engagement to bear the weight of the people using the ladder? On the vid, u can see where Malibu glassed in a backer board that the ladder is screwed to. U won't have that.

I guess u can drill holes all the way thru the platform, cut small round holes in the Seadek rubber mat for the bolt heads and use bolts instead of screws.

Very nice of u by the way to think about doing this for your elders.

Al

kaneboats
06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I may have an answer for you. Somewhere I have a stainless loop handle that I was going to install 2 boats ago to help people climb back in the ski/runabout. I wonder if it could be mounted on the side of the platform to give them that extra (nice) grab handle to pull up onto the platform. If you think it would help I'll post a pic and if you like it I'll ship it to you.

walb0244
06-11-2010, 11:16 PM
The swim platform is actually pretty thick. From what I have seen when I look underneath. It looks like the platform was built with a 3/4" piece of plywood and then fiberglassed of the plywood. I know there is wood in the swim deck because I was there when they installed my swim platform and had to help them with it. When we drilled the holes for the platform brackets wood chips came out.

I was thinking about mounting the ladder under the platform between the two swim platform brackets. Was gonna mount it offset of center along either the left or right bracket. I noticed the boat has a little roster tale in the middle right behind the boat. So figured i didn't want to mount anything right in the middle under the platform. Was worried the water would damage the ladder. That and if I mount it in the middle of the platform where when the ladder is extended it will be sticking back from the boat. That way you could use the handle that is mounted in the middle of the boat in the back to help get up and out of the water.

Any of this making any sense?

cab13367
06-12-2010, 01:06 AM
The swim platform is actually pretty thick. From what I have seen when I look underneath. It looks like the platform was built with a 3/4" piece of plywood and then fiberglassed of the plywood. I know there is wood in the swim deck because I was there when they installed my swim platform and had to help them with it. When we drilled the holes for the platform brackets wood chips came out.

I was thinking about mounting the ladder under the platform between the two swim platform brackets. Was gonna mount it offset of center along either the left or right bracket. I noticed the boat has a little roster tale in the middle right behind the boat. So figured i didn't want to mount anything right in the middle under the platform. Was worried the water would damage the ladder. That and if I mount it in the middle of the platform where when the ladder is extended it will be sticking back from the boat. That way you could use the handle that is mounted in the middle of the boat in the back to help get up and out of the water.

Any of this making any sense?

Should be fine. The only thing is if you surf at all, the underside of the swim platform is going to have a lot of water pushing on it so you better be sure that there's a way to solidly secure the ladder so the water does not force it to open.

PWO
06-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm curious about this too since some of the people I'll go out with might have a little trouble getting on the platform. Definitely let us know how it turns out.

walb0244
06-12-2010, 09:57 AM
As of right now I don't surf. We want to maybe give that a try latter but not right now. I'll probably put the ladder on the back right side. Because most people surf on that side but I'm goofy foot when I wakeboard so I guess I would surf goofy as well on the left side instead of the right side like most people. I'll get the ladder ordered. If I mount it in the middle and find out issues i'll let everyone know.

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-12-2010, 01:26 PM
this whole year i been kickin around the same idea where to put it what to get it. sounds like you have a pretty good idea so please let us know how it turns out i'm very interested in copying if it holds up for ya this summer

walb0244
06-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Just ordered the ladder from go2marine. I have used them before and seen where people ordered stuff on here before from them so was more comfortable with them then the other place. Price was the same and come to find out was the exact same manufactor. When it comes in I'll put some pictures up.

I think with mounting tho I will be fine. I know there is a piece of plywood in that swim deck. The swim platform mounts have 1" long screws holding them on. So I was thinking about using some 1" long 5/16" lag bolts to hold it on. Anyone got any better ideas or see any issues with this?

cab13367
06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Just ordered the ladder from go2marine. I have used them before and seen where people ordered stuff on here before from them so was more comfortable with them then the other place. Price was the same and come to find out was the exact same manufactor. When it comes in I'll put some pictures up.

I think with mounting tho I will be fine. I know there is a piece of plywood in that swim deck. The swim platform mounts have 1" long screws holding them on. So I was thinking about using some 1" long 5/16" lag bolts to hold it on. Anyone got any better ideas or see any issues with this?

Walb,

I checked out my swim platform a little more closely today and it's the same thickness thru out so it should be no problem to mount the ladder to it at any location u like. I would use the longest screws u can use without poking out the top.

Let us know how it works out.

walb0244
06-13-2010, 11:24 PM
I mostly worried about the pressure of the water coming up and hitting it more then anything. Don't want to screw things up. I know I can mount it pretty easily. Just more or less worried about the water coming up and hitting on it when I'm goin 20 across the lake. Didn't know if anyone could see a reason that Malibu has it sticking out the side like in the video.

Jeffro
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I am interested as well, it seems like it would effect the wake if mounted under the platform.

maxpower220
06-21-2010, 05:45 PM
I would consider lifting up your mat and through bolting it. The mat will cover the screw/bolt head. Use a counter sink screw to get it pretty flat. Just a thought.

walb0244
06-21-2010, 05:59 PM
I think I like the idea of just trying to mount it with lag screws first before going all the way though the platform. But does anybody have any ideas on a good place to where I don't have to worry about the water pushing on it. If I remove the mat I will run the swim platform screws all the way through as well. Kick my self for not doing that. i was there when they installed the platform mat and all and shoudl have stopped them som I could mount the brackets wtih bolts instead of screws.

But mostly I worried more about where to mount it so not too much drag.

walb0244
07-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Been alittle busy so this kinda went forgotten about. Till took a bunch of family members out and didn't have it mounted. So I got it mounted now. Not sure about the location but only time will tell.

I had to use a 3/8" piece of aluminum to move the ladder down so it would clear the fiberglass platform edge. Used 1 1/2" long stainless steel lag bolts to hold it all to the bottom of the swim platform.

I debated and debated on where to put it. Couldn't really come up with a good place. Went with the middle so that would have the use of the handle in the back of the boat to aid in getting out of the water.

deerfield
07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
So, do the bolts go through the swim platform? What protects feet, skis, and wakeboards from getting damaged by the bolt heads? Can't tell from the pictures.

walb0244
07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I used Stainless Steel 1/4" x 1 1/2" lag bolts. So they are basically screws with hex heads. I didn't want to drill through it. I put adhesive in the holes so that the screws will bite more. If this doesn't work I will think about pulling up the swim deck cover and run bolts all the way through. I don't want to run bolts all the way through for the reasons you stated. To protect wakeboards and feet.

I'm worried about the pressure from the water hitting it as well as the pressure from people standing on it. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Another option that I have thought about is making a frame work that comes off the platform mounts so that the pressure will be on the platform mounts. I really don't want bolts going all the way through.

Jeffro
07-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Was it worth the effort?

rvette
07-27-2010, 12:23 PM
This may sound a little crazy but it worked. I purchased a nylon ladder made for the back of a wave runner from Overton's. It has four steps and I hooked it to the back ski hook. It hung down enough past the swim deck to get your foot in 2 of the steps. That was enough for my parents to get themselves high enough out of the water to get onto the platform. When I am finished with it, I fold it up and put it away.

walb0244
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Was it worth the effort?

Was what worth the effort? Putting a ladder on the boat will be worth it since some of my family members have bad knees and stuff and can't get in the boat currently. So that will make it worth it. If that is what you meant.

This may sound a little crazy but it worked. I purchased a nylon ladder made for the back of a wave runner from Overton's. It has four steps and I hooked it to the back ski hook. It hung down enough past the swim deck to get your foot in 2 of the steps. That was enough for my parents to get themselves high enough out of the water to get onto the platform. When I am finished with it, I fold it up and put it away.

Where was you at when I started this post the first time. I was just trying to figure out a way to help people out of the water. Hahahaha.

Jeffro
07-27-2010, 03:39 PM
I guess what I meant to say was does it help them get in. I know at some time my elders are going to need something. For now they just do the whale role. I am curious as to how much help the rope ladder really is?

walb0244
07-27-2010, 05:04 PM
I went with the ladder like I have because I wasn't sure if the rope ladder would really help or just swing under the swim platform. I haven't gotten to try out the ladder I just mounted yet so we will se when take it out to the lake this wednesday. Hopefully it holds up.

rvette
07-27-2010, 05:16 PM
the waverunner ladder did help. The first time I took my parents out they tried to roll up on the platform and my father actually cracked a rib doing that. So the next time I had the ladder and it did help. He was able to roll onto the platform from a higher point in the water by standing on the ladder.
I chose it because I didn't want to mount anything under my platform.

cab13367
07-27-2010, 07:01 PM
walb,

Nice work. The only thing I'm wondering is, will the fact that the point at which the ladder connects to the platform is several inches from the edge of the platform make it less useful compared to mounting it flush with the edge? I understand it probably wasn't possible to mount it flush but looks like you could have mounted it closer to the edge especially since you used the aluminum spacers.

Al

walb0244
07-27-2010, 07:52 PM
walb,

Nice work. The only thing I'm wondering is, will the fact that the point at which the ladder connects to the platform is several inches from the edge of the platform make it less useful compared to mounting it flush with the edge? I understand it probably wasn't possible to mount it flush but looks like you could have mounted it closer to the edge especially since you used the aluminum spacers.

Al

I thought about that but the closer I mounted it to the edge of the platfrom when extended the more stuck out when it was in storage mood. So it was a loose loose. I am thinking about making away that the ladder will be kicked out at more of a angle so it has more sticking out from under the platform when extended but still hidden when stored.

Tomahawk
07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
late on this, but I installed handles on each side of platform.

davinci
07-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Now that you're talking about handles, my kids love to body surf while holding on to the platform (neighbours 99 outback) I was wondering if they make an entire wrap around rail or handle.

kaneboats
07-30-2010, 01:53 PM
I really hope the above comment was tongue in cheek.

Razzman
07-30-2010, 02:04 PM
As do I. I'd sure hate for anyone to loose a family member or anyone for that matter doing something as stupid as teak surfing.

harmsway
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
So did the ladder work or did the force of the water extend the ladder out from its resting point.

viking
01-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Now that you're talking about handles, my kids love to body surf while holding on to the platform (neighbours 99 outback) I was wondering if they make an entire wrap around rail or handle.

The supra's have it as an option on their platforms. F-man did a DIY upgrade awhile back. No reason why you couldn't purchase the rail and install IMO.

Here's a link where Fman was unloading the SS rail:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10341

Don't know if he sold it or not? Can't find the MOD thread? Maybe it was over on the supra site?