PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Water Pump went out trying to replace...

dereklschmidt
06-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Water pump failed, trying to replace it as I am typing this. Got the main pump and everything already out. Yes, it failed that bad and seperated from the mounting plate.

I CAN NOT get that d@mn plate out for the life of me. 3 hours running now, tried everything I can think of while spraying brake cleaner on it.

NEED HELP!!!

There's gotta be away to get the plate out of the pulley. Everything I have read says, 3 bolts and it comes right out. NOT HAPPENING!

Please help me! There are 6 holes are the other 3 used to help get this thing out somehow?

dereklschmidt
06-10-2010, 09:29 PM
This is mounted inside the crankshaft pully...

Man, I've tried everything short of tapping holes and running long bolts through them to work it out. And I think I'll have to remove the muffler/exhaust to do that...

cab13367
06-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Water pump failed, trying to replace it as I am typing this. Got the main pump and everything already out. Yes, it failed that bad and seperated from the mounting plate.

I CAN NOT get that d@mn plate out for the life of me. 3 hours running now, tried everything I can think of while spraying brake cleaner on it.

NEED HELP!!!

There's gotta be away to get the plate out of the pulley. Everything I have read says, 3 bolts and it comes right out. NOT HAPPENING!

Please help me! There are 6 holes are the other 3 used to help get this thing out somehow?

Derek,

The first time I changed the impeller, I tried to remove the whole pump like you are doing and came across the same issue - it would not come off no matter what I did. I think mine is either rusted or painted in place. I know of others that were able to get theirs off relatively easily so it has to come off. Will the three screws you removed thread into the other three holes? If so, that might be the way to get them off.

Let us know how you eventually get it off.

Thanks,

Al

dereklschmidt
06-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Al,

I thought the same thing! Unfortuantely, they do not. Not a single hole on that plate feels threaded to me. I also started a thread on WakeWorld and someone suggested soaking it in penetrating oil and letting it sit over night so I am trying that. If it doesn't work I may have to take it in. I don't have a choice, my pump is toast!

I'll keep you posted, and please let me know if you think of anything else. Thanks.

OBV6
06-11-2010, 08:50 AM
If the pump is no good it means you don't have to worry about ruining it trying to take it off. Why not try heating the plate with either an acetylene torch or propane soldering torch. If you can get a puller of some sort on it, it may not even take that much heat. Iv'e done this before with pittman steering arms with great success.

dereklschmidt
06-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Penetrating oil didn't work, tried a big punch and hammer this morning and it still wouldn't budge.

I've tried heating it to no avail as well.

Any other suggestions before I bite the bullet and haul it in?

OBV6
06-11-2010, 09:41 AM
You have probably already tried this, but is it a reverse thread pattern. Last resort call SC and ask, most likely they have some sort of high dollar puller.

dereklschmidt
06-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Taken it in is out of the question now I think. Only indboard service dealer in 300 miles is a week to week & a half backed up. Need to find some way to get this thing off....

Some others have recommened PB Blaster instead of the liquid wrench I used, guess I will try that, heat it and soak it. Then try to pry the thing off.

Thanks for all your input & please keep it coming...

cab13367
06-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Could u post a pic of what it looks like now? Maybe that will help spark some ideas from us.

dereklschmidt
06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Here is a picture I just took of what I am working with.

Is the shaft sticking out part of the crank or part of the pump that will come out with the mounting plate?

Let me know.

JesseC
06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Here is a picture I just took of what I am working with.

Is the shaft sticking out part of the crank or part of the pump that will come out with the mounting plate?

Let me know.

The shaft and the plate are one piece. So if you are replacing the entire pump you can pretty much destroy that shaft. Only thing I can figure would be to hammer on the end of the shaft, bump the motor a little and continue going around until she breaks loose. Of course keep your hands out of there while bumping it over. My 02 LSV popped right out as I pull mine plate and all every year.

JesseC
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I have a feeling that if you take it in to the shop all they are going to do is beat on that shaft with a large hammer until it comes off. The only other option would be to pull the harmonic balancer, but the nut for that is under your pump plate so that is not an option. I think that a large hammer and someone bumping over the engine is about your only option. Good luck!!

dereklschmidt
06-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Well, I was trying to get it done for a guy because I am selling my boat and wanted to get it changed before he picked up. He decided he wanted it bad enough to get it done him self.

I left it as you see in the picture and he picked it up about 5 hours ago. Gave him all the suggestions to get it off.

Needless to say, I am now boatless, got it sold....

THANKS for all your guys help!!!!

cab13367
06-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Well, I was trying to get it done for a guy because I am selling my boat and wanted to get it changed before he picked up. He decided he wanted it bad enough to get it done him self.

I left it as you see in the picture and he picked it up about 5 hours ago. Gave him all the suggestions to get it off.

Needless to say, I am now boatless, got it sold....

THANKS for all your guys help!!!!

Well, that's one way to take care of the problem :)

dereklschmidt
06-12-2010, 02:44 AM
Just talked to the guy that bought the boat. Couple taps, as suggested, on the shaft and it came right out. Put the new one on and he is good to go!

Thanks again for all your help!

dereklschmidt
06-12-2010, 12:56 PM
After the wedding at the end of July I will be back in the market. Going to take my time and find a good deal with all the options I want. Hopefully be back on the water for next season but I'll have to see how it goes.

kaneboats
06-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Best of luck to you. Glad you got that problem closed out.