PDA

View Full Version : Elastic nets?

phospher
06-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Has anyone tried to install one of those elastic nets that you can store stuff in? I really want to install one of those but I'm not sure where the best spot would be in my 08 Outback DD. Would be nice to put it on the back of the observers seat since that would be the most convenient spot but I don't think it would be wise to scew into that plastic. Anyone?

jmvotto
06-10-2010, 11:08 AM
That would work, short ss screws but don't put alot of weight as it may affect the door closing properly.

brain_rinse
06-10-2010, 11:35 AM
One of the first things I added to my boat. Check the link in my sig for a couple of pictures of where I put mine. Like jmvotto mentioned, I'd be concerned about weight and extra stress on the hinges.

phospher
06-10-2010, 12:25 PM
awesome guys thanks!

viking
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I installed them on my 07 DD. You can see pics in my profile page.
Here's one:

Canuckle Head
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I installed them on my 07 DD. You can see pics in my profile page.
Here's one:

What size of screw did you use Viking?

viking
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
You know I can't remember exactly?
I know they are pretty short because I wanted to ensure they wouldn't poke through. Enough to get a couple of threads to bite and in figerglass & they are tight.

I predrilled with a bit stopper as well. I'll try and check over the weekend for you!

phospher
06-11-2010, 02:39 PM
yeah, that's nice viking. i'm sure it comes in handy.

moombabound
06-11-2010, 04:03 PM
How about on the underside of the storage compartment cover(s)? Malibu provides this, though theirs are solid plastic, not netting. My buddy stores his ski rope in one side; wakeboard rope in the other side. Always knows where each of those are and they never tangle with anything. (The example I reference is a V-drive, but this could apply to DD also). I've considered this, but haven't gone through with it.

Mikey
06-11-2010, 09:16 PM
That sounds like a cool idea and one that wouldn't be too hard to do. Can you possibly get some pics of this.

Mikey
06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm not exactly picturing this in my head and would really like to find a better way or place to store ropes and wet stuff especially,and that sounds like a very doable idea.

viking
06-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Has anyone tried to install one of those elastic nets that you can store stuff in? I really want to install one of those but I'm not sure where the best spot would be in my 08 Outback DD. Would be nice to put it on the back of the observers seat since that would be the most convenient spot but I don't think it would be wise to scew into that plastic. Anyone?

phosper,
I don't think it'd be a problem. You just want to make sure and use small enough length screws that they don't poke through too far if someone puts pressure on the seat vinyl and then "oops" it pricks them :(

Other than putting them in the cockpit along the hull I've got a small one I'm going to screw into the underside of the ski locker doors. I'm going to use screws no longer than the thickness of the HDPE under backing. I walk all over my sundeck and don't want them popping through.
Ill take a few pics when I get around to putting it in!

moombabound
06-12-2010, 02:19 AM
That sounds like a cool idea and one that wouldn't be too hard to do. Can you possibly get some pics of this.

I won't be around his boat for a while, but did a quick Google search and found this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malibuboats/2758527220/in/set-72157606693958094/
(The Malibu site is quite poor for photos; couldn't find a pic there).

viking
06-14-2010, 01:29 AM
phosper,
Other than putting them in the cockpit along the hull I've got a small one I'm going to screw into the underside of the ski locker doors. I'm going to use screws no longer than the thickness of the HDPE under backing. I walk all over my sundeck and don't want them popping through.
Ill take a few pics when I get around to putting it in!

Put it on today!

phospher
06-15-2010, 04:21 PM
sweet. man those things are handy!

Razzman
06-15-2010, 09:48 PM
I've got two of those, one on either side of the motor dividers and they are super handay for ropes.