PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in the forums... hide your boat keys...

ibelonginprison
06-07-2010, 10:40 PM
... just kidding. It's an old screen name I've had for a while, I won't steal your boats. :p

Anyway - just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Todd and I don't actually own a Moomba at the moment. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of my hunt and it's not going as well as I would have liked. I actually did find an Outback on here that the wife and I dig... it just happens to be a touch over 1,000 miles away. :mad: And it's not shaping up to be a feasible trip for at least another two weeks. I'm down here in Birmingham AL, and while I'm surrounded by lakes, sifting through all the bass and pontoon boats is getting a little tedious.

Alrighty... enough talking to myself. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I have no idea if this is the right portion of the forum for it, but it seemed like the best place! I've had a great time reading up on these boats here, and I'm glad Moomba put a forum out there because there have been countless helpful threads while I'm searching for my newest toy.

So... that's that!
-Todd

stretch55
06-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the forum Todd.

scoot_gt
06-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Try Skiers Marine in Westover for some used Moomba possibilities. Also, there should be some available over here in Atlanta.

What lake do you frequent?

EDIT: ...and welcome aboard!

kaneboats
06-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Welcome. Good luck in your search. We all love looking at boats so I'm sure one of us will run over and look at one for you before you drive 1000 miles. Which way are you talking about anyway?

ibelonginprison
06-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!

When I do get on the water I'm either over on Lanier in ATL (brother in law has a Sea Ray 210 Select Fission that we all used to go out on quite a bit) or down on Martin with friends. I'm starting to have the DT's though since I haven't been on a board since September. It's getting painful!

The boat that my wife and I both like right now is this one:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11087
Seems like an extremely well cared for boat, and Jason and I have been emailing back and forth the last week.

Right price, right accessories.......... wrong state. haha Nebraska isn't a one day road trip for me and right now my next couple weekends won't allow me to run away for three days. :(

But it's all good. It either works out, or it doesn't.

There are a couple Boomerang's close to me that I like, but the wife wants bow seating and longer than 18.5 feet. :)

ibelonginprison
06-07-2010, 11:07 PM
I went past Skiers Marine over Memorial Day because I know they have a lot of Moombas... they were closed. (Big surprise I guess, ha) but I'll have to make a trip back there this weekend.

scoot_gt
06-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Give Skiers Marine a call and ask if they have anything used. I traded in recently but she was re-sold before I even dropped her off.

I'll be out on Neely Henry this weekend if you need a pull.

Here's one closer to home - looks like a good deal
http://dothan.craigslist.org/boa/1763789498.html

kaneboats
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but if you are thinking of taking your boat to Lanier I want to tell you I was almost frightened a few times in my old 2000 O/B LS. That hull is one of the shallower ones and is good for skiing, etc. With the cruisers you see on Lanier I was afraid of being swamped several times-- and I was only there for 3-4 days. If you do a lot of time there I would definitely consider either a newer O/B or LSV with the deeper hull. Please do a little research on the hull changes, etc. before you drive 1000 miles each way to get a boat for that lake.

sandm
06-08-2010, 09:38 AM
welcome and good luck in the boat search.

Mike G
06-08-2010, 02:35 PM
here are a few outbacks listed in the Memphis, Tn and Amory, Ms area. Not sure how far you want to drive but Memphis is a little closer than 1000 miles.

Good luck with the search!

http://memphis.craigslist.org/boa/1781585722.html
http://memphis.craigslist.org/boa/1777082609.html

ibelonginprison
06-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but if you are thinking of taking your boat to Lanier I want to tell you I was almost frightened a few times in my old 2000 O/B LS. That hull is one of the shallower ones and is good for skiing, etc. With the cruisers you see on Lanier I was afraid of being swamped several times-- and I was only there for 3-4 days. If you do a lot of time there I would definitely consider either a newer O/B or LSV with the deeper hull. Please do a little research on the hull changes, etc. before you drive 1000 miles each way to get a boat for that lake.

I've done some research, and I don't plan on taking it to Lanier. I've been on a boat that was caught by a random wave on a 19 foot Sea Ray that would have sunk a ski boat. But when we do go now we stay away from the center part of the lake. That's where it gets crazy. We launch at Charleston Point usually and stick around in those coves. It stays fairly calm back there.

Anyway, I have a budget. Is it the best budget? Nope, but I know what I feel comfortable spending on a boat. Unfortunately $22k is just outside of what I'm willing to spend right now.

I may also have the wife talked into an older Boomerang that's a bit more local.

Mikes
06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Look on Atlanta Craigslist, 2 Boomerangs on there.

ibelonginprison
06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
There's actually a '95 Boomerang down in Dothan on Craigslist. The guy that owns it (and is now selling it) actually bought it originally from a friend of mine who owned it for quite a while and did all the work on it himself.

I'm going to send him to have a look at it. I mean, if anyone knows that boat inside and out it would be him. :D

I certainly appreciate all the heads up guys! Keep the links coming.

Waynes345
06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Boomerang is a cool little boat, but the Outback is more versatile being bigger and with the open bow. Don't know if it will just be a couple of you or not, but if you have family and friends coming with you, the extra room in the OB (or more so in any V) will be appreciated. Good luck.

ibelonginprison
06-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Boomerang is a cool little boat, but the Outback is more versatile being bigger and with the open bow. Don't know if it will just be a couple of you or not, but if you have family and friends coming with you, the extra room in the OB (or more so in any V) will be appreciated. Good luck.

Yup, boat buying on a budget is a mother... :P

But, it all came about very suddenly, sooooooo... if we don't end up with something right this minute that's fine. I'll likely sit back and watch the forums and lists for a while to see what pops up. Based on financing I set rules to what I'm going to pay, and I'm sticking with them. I watch our DTI pretty closely, and I figure I can either make it work, or not.

The wife wants bow seating and something over 20 feet so we can take friends. I just want to be on the water. :) Hopefully something will work out.

squeeg333
06-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Todd, welcome to the forum. Once you do become a Moomba owner, almost anything that comes up, there's a answer for it on this forum! (Or at least one question away from being an answer for it!)

I would say if this boat you're looking at is one that you're totally stoked on, do it. There's a webiste, Uship.com, that is solid for shipping things. I almost had a guy tow my new LSV up from Texas to Washington State (2000+ miles). There are people out there who tow and haul things for a living Just be sure they are fully licensed and insured. At least worth a shot to see what the bids come in at.

Uship.com is basically ebay for shipping things. People will bid on your shipment, and you can accept, reject, or remove the listing whenever. Like I said, I almost used it, and it was awesome (for almost using it!!) Luckily, the dealer split the cost of shipping, and had a contractor they typically used, so it came out good in the end. But, at least something for you and your wife to consider!!

adsman
06-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Todd, welcome to the forum. Once you do become a Moomba owner, almost anything that comes up, there's a answer for it on this forum! (Or at least one question away from being an answer for it!)

I would say if this boat you're looking at is one that you're totally stoked on, do it. There's a webiste, Uship.com, that is solid for shipping things. I almost had a guy tow my new LSV up from Texas to Washington State (2000+ miles). There are people out there who tow and haul things for a living Just be sure they are fully licensed and insured. At least worth a shot to see what the bids come in at.

Uship.com is basically ebay for shipping things. People will bid on your shipment, and you can accept, reject, or remove the listing whenever. Like I said, I almost used it, and it was awesome (for almost using it!!) Luckily, the dealer split the cost of shipping, and had a contractor they typically used, so it came out good in the end. But, at least something for you and your wife to consider!!

I will add that I used uship to have my lsv transported from Iowa to Tx... The shipper that won my bid was on a dead head and gave me a great price (I was a little nervous to use the service, but after talking to my insurance, I found out that no matter what happened I was completely covered)

ibelonginprison
06-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes my friends.

I think I'm just going to wait until something comes up that is just fits the bill a little better. We may even end up just waiting the summer and buying something over winter for a better price. Or saving up a larger down-payment and catch something next summer. Being a responsible adult sucks sometimes. haha

So Scoot - I may take you up on that offer one weekend later this summer until I get something up and going. (Don't worry, I realize boat's don't run on thank-you's and handshakes.) :)