PDA

View Full Version : We need to help each other!

Mikes
06-07-2010, 08:23 PM
We got the ski rope tangled in our prop shaft. We had no knife(we do now). I/Os just ride keep tubing. I see a red LSV coming our way. He pulls up and says nice boat dude,I say thanks rope is in the shaft do you have a knife? He looks around for a sec. and says no dude then just drives away! I would NEVER leave someone like that. Am I crazy or is that crap?

MartinCaron
06-07-2010, 08:30 PM
how did it end ?

chillyx
06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I vote crap

Mikes
06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Sorry My son swam to the shore walked about a half mile to a house to borrow a knife,they towed us to their dock put our boat on their lift and we cut up a new rope.

jmvotto
06-07-2010, 08:41 PM
double vote for cr&p

MartinCaron
06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
This red lsv guy should trade it for a baja to match his personnality

Mikes
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys I feel better now.

brain_rinse
06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
This red lsv guy should trade it for a baja to match his personnality
:p

I can't imagine stopping and then not helping in any way. Wow.

Mikey
06-07-2010, 09:25 PM
That sucks. Carma's a bitch so likely he will get his one day.

Waynes345
06-07-2010, 09:27 PM
:p

I can't imagine stopping and then not helping in any way. Wow.

I couldn't agree more. How could you stop to check and then drive away? What a moron.

skiyaker
06-07-2010, 10:14 PM
can't imagine turning somebody in need down like that- I've always thought as a fellow boater it's an obligation to help others out on the water. Well there was this once my dad and I were into the white bass like crazy and a guy asked for a tow- we told him to toss out an anchor and we would help in 20 min but we towed him in as soon as we got our limit I swear!

kaneboats
06-07-2010, 10:49 PM
. . .they towed us to their dock put our boat on their lift and we cut up a new rope.

Sounds like some pretty nice folks. You'll have to keep your eye out for that first guy. I'd be ashamed to show my face after that stunt.

KG's Supra24
06-07-2010, 11:27 PM
That story is almost unbelievable! What goes around comes around.

A bass boat once stopped to help me out; one of the real nice rigs. I asked for a tow and he looked at me like I was crazy. He did give me a ride back to the dock at mach3 never looking up, focused on stayin in the river channel by watchit his 52 inch plasma depth finder. I understood him not pulling me though and was appreciative of the ride back. I also enjoy staying under 45 mph. :)

anyways, glad it all worked out. Too bad about. The rope.

ibelonginprison
06-08-2010, 12:00 AM
I can't say I've ever met an unhelpful boat owner on the water.

About 2-3 years ago we went to put in and a boat on the ramp caught fire. Within 60 seconds 5 boat owners were at his side with fire extinguishers. I was double fisting. lol The one from our boat, and snagged one from a boat that just pulled out as I was running past.

Ended up being useless, by the time we got there someone cracked the hatch and the oxygen fueled the fire to the point that everyone had to back away. (Seriously, didn't we all watch the movie Backdraft?)

But you're talking about 5-6 dudes side by side ready to jump ON a boat that was on fire just to help put it out for a complete stranger.

I hope that numbnuts that left you stranded leaves his drainplug out next time out on the water. :roll:

Big Boss
06-08-2010, 02:44 AM
That guy was a jerk, and he'll get his one day, probably sooner than later.

My boat toolbox includes a utility knife and dive mask for just such occasions. We have hydrilla problems on our lake so the mask comes in handy pretty often.

We only had our boat about two weeks, and were out riding when a VERY heavy thunderstorm blew in. We were hauling ass for the bridge, and get flagged down by a boat that had a dead battery. My passengers were not happy, but I stopped, and we towed them for over 4 miles in the storm. This was a storm where the emergency broadcast comes on the radio, and here we are towing. It was epic. I had to explain the concept of Karma to the peeps on my boat, and how in the boating world the effects of Karma are multiplied by a factor of 10. They thought I was crazy, but I couldn't leave them out there. That may be me one day.

I'm very happy to say that the 3 times I have needed a tow, there was a friendly face close by to help out.

MEDIC151
06-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I have needed a tow one time, and fortunately there was a friend there with his boat. I have never turned down a request for towing someone. On the rope in the prop, I did this in my 02 Outback LS. It was right at dark, friend didn't pull the rope in(i should've checked), started motor and bang, locked up. No knife on the boat, no goggles, and the wind was pushing us further out. We improvised by tearing a beer can in half, and traded out diving under till we got it cut loose. We both had tons of cuts on our hands from the can, but it worked.

I now have a knife with a lanyard on the boat all the time. That lesson was a good one.

phospher
06-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Oh yes a knife is a must. I was told to have one at all times and have never launched my boats without one since I've been boating. Luckily, I have never had to use it yet though I have ran over a rope or two.

Tyger
06-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Definitely crap. People are out on the lake to have a good time, but part of the lake attitude is watching out for each other.

We were watching a couple teenage boys alone in a boat getting some sick air. Toward the end of the day I looked over and noticed one of them had been down for too long in the water and the boat was just sitting there. We headed over and the one boy had gone down hard and was lying on the swim platform barely concious. The other boy who had been driving had called 911, but was freaking out a little bit.

My wife got in the water and held his head stable and above water on the swim platform. She stayed there for over two hours. I hung out for a few minutes, but then figured first resonponders wouldn't be on a boat. I went back to the dock, and sure enough a couple paramedics were at the launch looking frustrated. I picked them up in my boat and drove them back over. We stayed until the rescue boat came and got him on their boat on a back board.

Everyone should be looking out for each on the lake. What comes around does go around.

moombabound
06-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Always keep a pair of clear swim goggles and a box knife in the glove box.
Never thought I'd get a rope caught in a prop, but this happened in the very worst of circumstances. In windy conditions, near a cliff. Wakeboard rope. I had my teanage son & his friend hold the boat off the rocks, and went underneath. I was able to back out the snarled mess in a single breath; didn't actually have to cut the rope (until later inspection where I had to remove 9"). The only reason those goggles were in the boat was because my wife is HUGE on swimming. When we float; she swims. Now, I consider goggles mandatory. Although I did have a small multi-tool that I took underneath with me, I've since added a box knife. Those will cut rope way faster than your average jack/multi-knife.

sandm
06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
we stopped to help a bunch of 20-somethings in a dd momba last year that had backed over the wakeboard rope. they had no tools at all. we left them with a knife and swim goggles that we keep on board. came back 30 minutes later and they were all done. tried to pay us. we told them to "pay it forward", that someday someone will need help and that they should stop.

I'm a firm believer of karma on the water.. it all comes back around eventually...

smokedog2
06-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Years ago I was stopped by the DNR and I did not have my distress flag.

She was going to tag me when I said "you know, the last three boats I've pulled of this lake didn't have flags, the last one was paddling with the boat seats, figured it out all by myself."

She laughed, no ticket - Karma.

Sled491
06-13-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree, complete "Jag Off", I also agree with Mikey and few others Karma is a bit@#