PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a board

Tyger
06-07-2010, 05:58 PM
We've been surfing now for 3 years on the Broadcast and I'm looking to take the next step.

I'm looking for a trick board for someone about 170 looking to do surface 180's and 360's and maybe get a little air. Definitely not aiming for shuvits or ollies.

I'm down to (in this order):
LF Custom 4'2
LF Custom Thruster 4'6
IS 4-skim

Any comments or suggestions. Can anyone talk about the differences in ride/handling between the two LF boards?

I know the shred stixx got a lot of positive comments on this board, but I'm turned off by the uni-directional shape of the board. I've seen plenty of videos of people riding fakee on them, but I'm not convinced I can do it as easily as a two-way board.

Tyger
06-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I was really hoping to buy a Trick Boardz (now Asylum Boardz), but after ordering I got a note that they are severely behind and they refunded my money. Those boards are a lot more affordable.

I started this thread because I want to choose the right board, but after my experience with the Broadcast, I know that I will get my money out of even a more expensive board.

bbyquist
06-08-2010, 02:21 AM
Phase 5 boards have a thin enough profile to fit standard board racks. I have the Oogle and it fits perfect...oh yeah and surfs nice too!

Tyger
06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
recommend a demo on the Ronix if you can swing it - then we can compare notes - another thing- storage wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to change out a rack on the boat... I've heard that some boards will fit the wakeboard rack???

Check the link in my sig for the double-wakesurf rack. It's the widest opening rack I could two years ago. It will surely fit any surf board. It even fits our knee board, although I have to stuff it in - looking for a slightly narrower knee board now.

sandm
06-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I have a 4skim and a drew danielo pro from phase 5. the 2 boards are totally different. I have to work the drew sometimes to keep up with the boat, however the 4skim has been easy for anyone to just get into the wave and ride forever. the drew feels a little more "glued" to the water, while the 4skim will spin forever. it's a very very slick board. easy to push it out from under your feet and into the boat if you are not careful :)
I would suggest the 4skim for anyone looking to master spinning.

I have been able to fit both into my roswell racks on the supra, but it's tight..
I keep a broadcast 5'4 for noobs.

THSEADOO
06-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Take a look at www.towanza.com they have Walker boards that are great. Also they are very helpful all these guys do is wake surf.

you da man
06-08-2010, 07:56 PM
I have the Ronix Cortez 5'4" as my boat board and I think is sucks for beginners actually. The rail digs in too easy and very hard for a lightweight or noob to recover. I'm looking for another boat board. Would love to try Grindwater Ginsu or Shaka as they are glass boards. I have a Shred Stixx Thresher and it's very fast and loose. Compared to composite boards, the glass boards are so much lighter, float better, and feel more like a surf board.

you da man
06-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Triple X surfboards are a great bargain for a quality glass board. If you've been on a Broadcast which feels like a canoe, a glass board is a very nice step up.

saskie99
06-08-2010, 11:34 PM
hyperlite swell 4 2'. Super loose and fast. Have had it a year and love it

sandm
06-09-2010, 07:02 AM
xxx has a rep here that has some great deals on craigslist on some blems. guy is quite a surfer from what I understand. sells epic and sanger for a living..

TRUBBS
12-26-2020, 12:16 PM
Can you not do surface 3’s with the broadcast?
That’s one of the mid level hybrid boards I was looking to buy also.
Want something I can grow into as I’m decent at following the boat now and want to get better and do tricks.
Trying to find a board I can grow with and not have to upgrade mid season

dakota4ce
12-26-2020, 01:43 PM
Observation:

The number of people that can consistently do surface threes vs the number of people who wanna know if a board “can spin” is a wide disparity.

Get a fast board that allows you to build speed, and the spins will come. All boards spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk