PDA

View Full Version : Boat Maint for Surfing

calpal10
06-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey ya'll, been a while since i've been on the board. Just wondering if there's any good maintenance tips for the boat for surfing. We've got a Mobius V. Just wondering how the boat reacts to having its nose up in the air for longer periods of time, running at slightly higher rpm's, etc. Any good tips would be much appreciated.

maxpower220
06-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Just general stuff as per the owner's manual. Your V drive is "backwards" so you don't have that much of an engine tilt. "slightly higher rpms" is not a problem. The engine is the same (Indmar doesn't make a V or DD engine) as an direct drive which is designed to pull skiers/barefooters at 3000-4000rpm. You don't have to worry about that. If you think that your engine is sluggish, you may want a different prop to optimize your rpms during surfing.

maxpower220
06-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I wonder where that info comes from. I doubt that my truck ever goes over 2800 rpm. On road trips for several hours, it only runs at 2000 rpm or less. Never had any problems with it. I can't see any reason my boat would be different.

Perhaps this comes from the "I need to blast the engine toburn the carbon off of the valves" school of thought, that I don't subscribe to. Again, I have not read of one post of forums where an engine has had a internal mechanical failure when proper maintenance has been done.

spoon03
06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
In your engine owner's manual, there is a section for boats operating on small lakes. It goes into how boats operating most of their life under the 4000 rpm range have a syndrome called "making oil" making your oil level look higher on it's dipstick than normal. Worth reading if you operate under 4000 rpm most of the time.