PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery Question

bjames
06-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Well I neglected to charge both batteries after taking my boat out of storage and found both batteries to be dead. So anyways, I picked up a new battery (now keep as a spare) to at least get me out on the water. After reading the manual, I am still a little unclear of how the system operates. Here are my questions,

1. What is the perferred setting 1, 2 or Both?
2. Depending of what your selector is ste to, will both batteries charge while engin is running or only the battery that the selector is set to.

I replaced battery #2 (as it was the easiest to access), so the only way I was able to start the boat is by setting the selector in the "both" position. hoping that the engine would providing charging power to the dead battery while keeping the new battery topped off.

Comments?

sandm
06-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I have been told by many battery guys(and maybe it was a sales tactic) that you want to replace batteries in a dual or more setup all at the same time.

can't answer your original question, but might be worth looking into replacing both?

zabooda
06-07-2010, 07:13 PM
If have both batteries connected with the engine off, the batteries will equalize themselves which isn't good if you have one bad battery. Just run on "2" until the other battery is replaced.

MartinCaron
06-07-2010, 08:50 PM
1- Those perko selector are for charging as well as dischaging batterys
2- Only the battery that the selector is set to. If "both" then both...

When the motor turn for a long ride put it to both so the alternator charges both battery. Note the alternator push more amps than the boat demand so when the motor turns your only charging. You should only consider "both" as a charging setup.

When the motor is off and your using the radio, ballast, heater, etc you select only one and the other become your backup start.

bjames
06-08-2010, 11:53 AM
1- Those perko selector are for charging as well as dischaging batterys
2- Only the battery that the selector is set to. If "both" then both...

When the motor turn for a long ride put it to both so the alternator charges both battery. Note the alternator push more amps than the boat demand so when the motor turns your only charging. You should only consider "both" as a charging setup.

When the motor is off and your using the radio, ballast, heater, etc you select only one and the other become your backup start.

Good info... thanks. Now I know for next time... Remove both batteries from the boat during storage and trickle charge them before the first run 8)

BTW has anyone used a solar trickle charger while the boat is parked and not used?